Kony 2012

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
User avatar
Posts: 6772
Joined: February 2011
Location: The Discount Inn
Kony ?!
"When art imitates life"
Image

User avatar
Posts: 17478
Joined: May 2011
dafox wrote:Kony ?!
Yea. You know.....
Image
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Posts: 772
Joined: April 2010
Location: Canada
The IC campaign is ill-advised no doubt, no way should people be giving them any money. There's been five years of peace in Uganda from the LRA, no need to mess that up by blinding sending forces over there. However its obvious that Kony should be arrested and the remaining kids rescued. I think messaging your political leaders, raising awareness on your own, and donating to charities that focus on aiding Uganda citizens is a good start.

Posts: 13622
Joined: June 2009
Location: Florida
Been hearing bad things about the people who made that video. I'm skipping on this.

User avatar
Posts: 22440
Joined: May 2010
Location: Castle
I can't believe people are buying to this. Most the people "protesting" this are just doing it to feed their own ego and make it look like they care. :roll:
Why you lurking my page brah?

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Dodd wrote:Most the people "protesting" this are just doing it to feed their own ego and make it look like they care. :roll:
That's really something you couldn't know... Of course there will be people feeding their own ego and make it look like they care. But that could happen to any organization or charity raising program... I can't believe you used that as an argument just to be negative about it. And even if people would care only to feed their ego... some of these "hypocrites" as we might call them actually do more than those who point the finger at them. By feeding their own ego some of these guys might feed some kid's body around the globe... I really don't see your point even if you'd be right. What matters the most is the help you give to someone. If you give that help to feed your own ego... well that's a sin people could live with and nobody would actually mind.

User avatar
Posts: 26266
Joined: February 2010
Location: Texas
RIFA wrote:
Dodd wrote:Most the people "protesting" this are just doing it to feed their own ego and make it look like they care. :roll:
That's really something you couldn't know... Of course there will be people feeding their own ego and make it look like they care. But that could happen to any organization or charity raising program... I can't believe you used that as an argument just to be negative about it. And even if people would care only to feed their ego... some of these "hypocrites" as we might call them actually do more than those who point the finger at them. By feeding their own ego some of these guys might feed some kid's body around the globe... I really don't see your point even if you'd be right. What matters the most is the help you give to someone. If you give that help to feed your own ego... well that's a sin people could live with and nobody would actually mind.
No, the Kony 2012 campaign is not feeding anyone or helping any victims. All it is doing is raising awareness for the prospect of arresting him.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Cilogy wrote:No, the Kony 2012 campaign is not feeding anyone or helping any victims. All it is doing is raising awareness for the prospect of arresting him.
I was addressing the issue in general, wasn't talking about KONY.

Dodd's argument is basically not an argument at all. That was my point. Someone helping to feed his ego isn't really that much of a big deal to be negative about some organization or whatever. That could happen and is happening everywhere. On top of that... feeding your ego by helping others is still better than pointing the finger at them without doing anything yourself.

User avatar
Posts: 22440
Joined: May 2010
Location: Castle
I never said it was contained exclusively to this issue. I agree that that selfish individual reasons for taking action in the framework of any charitable organization just for face value does happen, I'm just perplexed as to why people are taking notice of this particular case of injustice when so many other pressing issues are happening.
Why you lurking my page brah?

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Probably because few of the other pressuring issues are promoted like this so few people get to know them.

What KONY is right about is that making something bad that's going on on Earth VIRAL is a huge step taken in the right direction of solving that situation. If you're not making it viral how could possibly people know about it? So their initiative is what got me and what I think is a smart decision.

Now I won't but anything from them so obviously I don't actually support them as an organization but I do support the idea behind their organization. The idea of making bad people and bad situations on Earth viral in order to faster the process of finding a solution. That's what I think they succeeded in doing so they did half a good job already. That's the reason why I don't really hate their initiative.

Locked