Kony 2012

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Both sides are right imo. Yes, KONY is superficial and probably a waste of resources and material.

However... isn't it lovely when people talk about KONY's legitimacy instead of actually doing something? Of course, the expected reply from a person who argues on his iPhone would be "doing what exactly?"... Which is sad. Fuck the idea of a "global awareness", fuck the idea of a "social wake-up", and fuck the idea of "global activism"... Just buy some more iPads.

I'm saying this because I don't understand how people could say they are rational about some global concern yet when there's a way to resolve it they back down into their own world not carrying anymore.

Isn't it selfish and stupid when you invest time and material in order to EXPOSE something but stay away when there's a case of RESOLVING something? At least if you're exposing something then also do so something about it and don't run away.

RIFA wrote:Both sides are right imo. Yes, KONY is superficial and probably a waste of resources and material.

However... isn't it lovely when people talk about KONY's legitimacy instead of actually doing something? Of course, the expected reply from a person who argues on his iPhone would be "doing what exactly?"... Which is sad. Fuck the idea of a "global awareness", fuck the idea of a "social wake-up", and fuck the idea of "global activism"... Just buy some more iPads.

I'm saying this because I don't understand how people could say they are rational about some global concern yet when there's a way to resolve it they back down into their own world not carrying anymore.

Isn't it selfish and stupid when you invest time and material in order to EXPOSE something but stay away when there's a case of RESOLVING something? At least if you're exposing something then also do so something about it and don't run away.
My view is that instead of just sitting back and doing nothing, we should offer an alternative to Kony 2012. It would a be a good idea to donate to Red Cross and maybe some other organizations that collect more money for the people/societies in question than even Invisible Children does.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:My view is that instead of just sitting back and doing nothing, we should offer an alternative to Kony 2012. It would a be a good idea to donate to Red Cross and maybe some other organizations that collect more money for the people/societies in question than even Invisible Children does.
True. But just donating won't raise awareness. By donating one dollar to the red cross for children in Africa isn't really much and you're doing close to 0 to stop the things that are happening there...

That's why I said that both sides are right. While KONY might be a waste of resources AT LEAST it does MUCH MORE than those who complain because it actually helps on raising awareness.

It helps informing people about the issues over there. Money or donations isn't the key for the problems in Africa. The key is to get everyone INTERESTED in those problems. You can't do that by just saying "people are starving in Africa". That won't really get anyone up. You have to SELL the image. In a world that is based on consumerism the best thing you could do for the kids in Africa would be to promote the issues over there and to amplify them so people could get instantly connected.

Since KONY, the number of donations for Africa (not just Uganda) raised. The number of petitions for the ICC to bring Kony on trial raised significantly. So to say that "wow at people supporting this KONY stuff" is so ignorant because that's exactly the purpose. Send it on twitter, facebook, wherever you want for others to see because at the end of the day, making an issue like this VIRAL will lead to it's salvation.

The issues of the world were only dealt with when enough people were aware of them and complained about them and asked for a solution. You guys missed this important fact.

PS:

Invisible Children and Kony 2012: Avoiding Scams and Irresponsible Donations

I cant believe people are even more ignorant and take things on facevalue like never before without any fact checking. Where is all the awareness that has been raised? The power of one video is scary..

tykjen wrote:
I cant believe people are even more ignorant and take things on facevalue like never before without any fact checking. Where is all the awareness that has been raised? The power of one video is scary..
Very scary....
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

I'm not even sure what all of this is about. I've heard it everywhere, but I still haven't invested any of my time in it.

Forum Pro
Law

tykjen wrote:The power of one video is scary..
Depends on from what angle you're looking at it. The power of one video could make some war criminal a celebrity online. Therefore more people will get interested in the cause of the video. More people will help. Of course there's the other side of the coin which is that one video could sell a whole lot of bracelets...

The point is that KONY 2012, scam or not, made the issue in Uganda easier for people to relate with. The point is that KONY 2012, scam or not, will probably make Kony the "celebrity" they want. Therefore there will be a huge reason for important people to interfere there and probably Kony will be captured. All these things are great. Now if these things are succeeded then I really don't care about their bracelets. After all, nobody forces you to buy anything from them. You could easily make yourself a KONY banner and raise awareness in your area. The point is... there are ways to not feed the possible scam while at the same time still :clap: the KONY initiative. Instead of embracing this idea and make KONY popular some decide to look for issues in this organization when the main goal of this organization is to -their words- make KONY a "celebrity" so he could be stopped. If people would use their head they will understand that they can make KONY that celebrity by not donating one single penny to this organization...

My point is that this seems like a revenge job. The campaign talks about just removing Kony from the equation, not about the implications of it. Arresting Kony doesn't immediately destroy the LRA or stop the people abducting children. Obviously, Kony's removal would be a good thing in and of itself, but what would that accomplish beyond just detaining one man? In my opinion its not much, because although it's good to direct awareness to the situation in Uganda, the popularity of Kony 2012 being higher than the popularity of solving the problems is really a shame.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Cilogy wrote:My point is that this seems like a revenge job. The campaign talks about just removing Kony from the equation, not about the implications of it. Arresting Kony doesn't immediately destroy the LRA or stop the people abducting children. Obviously, Kony's removal would be a good thing in and of itself, but what would that accomplish beyond just detaining one man? In my opinion its not much, because although it's good to direct awareness to the situation in Uganda, the popularity of Kony 2012 being higher than the popularity of solving the problems is really a shame.
I just think that people realize that this ain't just about Kony since they keep mentioning the LRA. Of course the LRA will be dealt with...