Religious Discussions

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote:
And because of this... we can't really have a civilized conversation in this topic. Every atheist or whatever he thinks he is has to consider his beliefs as being elementary to the "real world" which can easily be perceived as insulting for those who have faith in something else besides just the real world... It's such an example of pretentiousness, misunderstanding, and superiority, that it completely destroys any logical debate from the very start.

It's obvious this topic should be closed because few people, both atheists and theists, have had enough respect for each other to carry a smart debate without subtly insulting the other person for his beliefs.

Merry Christmas to all of you, atheists, agnostics, gnostics or theists. Y'all are great human beings if you're rational and kind.
Then let's have a civilized conversation.

Here lemme start:

From my perspective, belief in something is a very human thing. Even the most staunch atheists believe in something that transcends reality. I have absolutely no problem with faith or belief. I personally don't believe in god, because I see no point, but I do believe in things like love, compassion, respect, and kindness.

I do, however, have a bit of a problem with organized religion and when people use it as a tool to mislead people. When people say that they've found the answer to all our problems, and create all these rules and restrictions that make no logical sense, it becomes a problem. When people create this whole franchise and institution around faith, it becomes a problem. It's only natural for people to create religions, but I think it's also natural for people to realize how archaic and restricting religions are, and how we can't go about defining our selves and our faith by what a book says, or by what a tablet says, or by what some random prophet says.

To me, it's just a thing of the past, and I think we're gonna see more and more people realizing this in the next few generations.
What about CrazyEight?
Sigs???

Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote:
And because of this... we can't really have a civilized conversation in this topic. Every atheist or whatever he thinks he is has to consider his beliefs as being elementary to the "real world" which can easily be perceived as insulting for those who have faith in something else besides just the real world... It's such an example of pretentiousness, misunderstanding, and superiority, that it completely destroys any logical debate from the very start.

It's obvious this topic should be closed because few people, both atheists and theists, have had enough respect for each other to carry a smart debate without subtly insulting the other person for his beliefs.

Merry Christmas to all of you, atheists, agnostics, gnostics or theists. Y'all are great human beings if you're rational and kind.
Then let's have a civilized conversation.

Here lemme start:

From my perspective, belief in something is a very human thing. Even the most staunch atheists believe in something that transcends reality. I have absolutely no problem with faith or belief. I personally don't believe in god, because I see no point, but I do believe in things like love, compassion, respect, and kindness.

I do, however, have a bit of a problem with organized religion and when people use it as a tool to mislead people. When people say that they've found the answer to all our problems, and create all these rules and restrictions that make no logical sense, it becomes a problem. When people create this whole franchise and institution around faith, it becomes a problem. It's only natural for people to create religions, but I think it's also natural for people to realize how archaic and restricting religions are, and how we can't go about defining our selves and our faith by what a book says, or by what a tablet says, or by what some random prophet says.

To me, it's just a thing of the past, and I think we're gonna see more and more people realizing this in the next few generations.
Then again, organized religions led to many good things as well. On top of that, wouldn't using something like religion as a tool to "impose" (because they don't actually impose/forbid anything) rules or restrictions is the same as using politics, economics, and even commercials? They are all used for the same purpose. To create rules, restrictions, and to guide people into one direction or another. Should we disclaim then all... or look for a way to improve their conduct?...

You may be right with the next few generations thing... but faith as in religion won't ever go away. It may go away as an institution (Church) but won't ever go away as a culture. At one point... people will return to faith. Then they will test it again and faith will loose some pace... then it's gonna go back. Everything is a "never-ending" cycle.

What I believe is that... religion and science are 2 Bibles that will find their common line in the future. They are already going into this direction as well.

Religion and science are never going to cross their paths. The only possible thing that could happen in the future is that science disproves even more of the "truths" that are proclaimed by religion. You can't prove to a 100% that god doesn't exist, but this is also the case with the Flying spaghetti monster, the Tooth fairy etc. If the existence of god, however, is brought down to a possiblity of 0,0001% than we can say science has buried god indeed.

PowerDump wrote:I can't believe this isn't a banned topic :clap: , come on mods.

Why can't people just go, I don't mind your beliefs if you don't mind mine? Is that really too difficult to do?
Yeah, in the name of tolerance and free expression, lets ban topics!

chom wrote:
PowerDump wrote:I can't believe this isn't a banned topic :clap: , come on mods.

Why can't people just go, I don't mind your beliefs if you don't mind mine? Is that really too difficult to do?
Yeah, in the name of tolerance and free expression, lets ban topics!
You clearly aren't being sarcastic...so yeah!

BeHappyAndStupid wrote:Religion and science are never going to cross their paths. The only possible thing that could happen in the future is that science disproves even more of the "truths" that are proclaimed by religion. You can't prove to a 100% that god doesn't exist, but this is also the case with the Flying spaghetti monster, the Tooth fairy etc. If the existence of god, however, is brought down to a possiblity of 0,0001% than we can say science has buried god indeed.
:lol: :lol: You're quite the charm.

So, basically, you two geniuses think that "everyone is entitled to their beliefs", but we should ban topics that criticize the more harmful effects of religion, and look down on anybody who isn't an accommodationist. That's some mighty fine hypocrisy you got there.

People are entitled to their beliefs, and everyone else is entitled to disagree with them and criticize them if they need to be criticized.

chom wrote:So, basically, you two geniuses think that "everyone is entitled to their beliefs", but we should ban topics that criticize the more harmful effects of religion, and look down on anybody who isn't an accommodationist. That's some mighty fine hypocrisy you got there.

People are entitled to their beliefs, and everyone else is entitled to disagree with them and criticize them if they need to be criticized.
:lol: :facepalm: :lol:

chom wrote:So, basically, you two geniuses think that "everyone is entitled to their beliefs", but we should ban topics that criticize the more harmful effects of religion, and look down on anybody who isn't an accommodationist. That's some mighty fine hypocrisy you got there.
nobody said dat. hapy new yehar

PowerDump wrote:I can't believe this isn't a locked topic.
Fixed.