Religious Discussions

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Ah. Jason Russell, I think, is a member of the "emerging church", which is a liberal hipster brand of Christianity--he used the "social justice" aspect of their theology to make some quick cash.

These evangelicals are more conservative, it seems. Conservative evangelicals are bloody obsessed with gay people. Shit's weird.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
gib sigs

Pratham wrote:Image

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
what's he trying to prove, that Muslims are radicals? There's over a billion Muslims and far less than 1% of them believe in violence. I could point to the Christian Crusades (where hundreds of thousands of people were slaughtered) as a matter of distorting the Christian philosophy and creed, but of course I know that that isn't applicable to all Christians.

The facebook post is by a Muslim, though. And the death penalty for apostasy and blasphemy is pretty explicity in the Quran.

The (many) decent people who are Muslims are good in spite of their religion, not because of it. Same with Christians. Everybody--fundies included--cooks the raw, batshit insane instructions of these holy books so that they can live in secular society; Muhammed calls for Jihad and executions of apostates, Jesus calls for people to abandon their familes and become eunuchs, etc.

I'll never forget the day--around this time last year--when I read the Bible for myself, and was almost instantly a non-believer. It's almost like the Biblical authors were atheist trolls, seeing if they could fool people into believing in a tyrant that lived above the clouds.

chom wrote:The facebook post is by a Muslim, though. And the death penalty for apostasy and blasphemy is pretty explicity in the Quran.

The (many) decent people who are Muslims are good in spite of their religion, not because of it. Same with Christians. Everybody--fundies included--cooks the raw, batshit insane instructions of these holy books so that they can live in secular society; Muhammed calls for Jihad and executions of apostates, Jesus calls for people to abandon their familes and become eunuchs, etc.

I'll never forget the day--around this time last year--when I read the Bible for myself, and was almost instantly a non-believer. It's almost like the Biblical authors were atheist trolls, seeing if they could fool people into believing in a tyrant that lived above the clouds.
I'm not a scholar on the Quran, however, perhaps as in the Bible, there are passages that were meant for a particular time and place (such as in the Old Testament) and current Muslims do not "abide by these codes," if you will. For instance, in the Old Testament of the Bible, it talks about stoning your child if he disobeys the parents. Most Christians excuse this as being applicable to those people in that period of time. Perhaps most Muslims do the same and a very radicals are very literal in its interpretation. IMO, religion can have good tenants and core values, although I am not a practitioner of any particular religion. But I also know it can be very divisive.

Skyab23 wrote: I'm not a scholar on the Quran, however, perhaps as in the Bible, there are passages that were meant for a particular time and place (such as in the Old Testament) and current Muslims do not "abide by these codes," if you will. For instance, in the Old Testament of the Bible, it talks about stoning your child if he disobeys the parents. Most Christians excuse this as being applicable to those people in that period of time. Perhaps most Muslims do the same and a very radicals are very literal in its interpretation. IMO, religion can have good tenants and core values, although I am not a practitioner of any particular religion. But I also know it can be very divisive.
Which is hilarious, because it exposes that religious morality is completely relative and man-made, and god doesn't provide us with objective morality. It's no coincidence that "god's" laws are just as barbaric as the barbaric society of the Old & New Testaments--they invented him. God's always had the same opinions as the prophets and the priests. Now that we're in a more enlightened society, liberal Christians say that God loves the gays and the non-Christians, and even evangelicals are moving away from the doctrine of eternal hellfire for those who reject Jeebus.
God's opinions are always humanity's opinions, with wings and a harp.

About The Quran, this video should help explain it a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL50 ... detailpage

aww crap, too bad I'm an atheist. :thumbdown:
Why you lurking my page brah?

Dodd wrote:Image

Rats :( I could really use a lightsabhurhuehuehue
Sigs???

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:
Dodd wrote:Image

Rats :( I could really use a lightsabhurhuehuehue