Religious Discussions

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I'll just wait for baconboy's input on this matter.

Sorry guys, I'm staying out of this thread. Religious debates on internet forums literally never end well, all it does it cause members to become agitated on every side, hostile, and disrespectful towards the others views, and given the dismissive and belittling tone by a huge chunk of of posts here, not to mention the thread title, I'm not really going to contribute.

If you wish to discuss my religious views with me, feel free to PM me.

Briefly- Being religious does not make life easier, only harder, more stressful, and ultimately more depressing for someone as cynical as me. I don't find the overwhelming majority of the world moral in the slightest, most of it is lazy on an emotional and intellectual level, one of instant gratification and quick fixes, hard work becoming a thing of the past.

Simply, I believe logic dictates there must be some sort of intelligent being to have created the universe as it is, which has me think about the logical progression of how that sort of being may operate, which leads me to think this being would likely contact the people it/he/He/she/She created (directly or indirectly created), which leads me to investigate the religions of the world, which led me to the one I'm part of today. I realize that's ambiguous as hell, but like I said, I'm not contributing anything else to this thread. PM me if you care to know more.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote: Simply, I believe logic dictates there must be some sort of intelligent being to have created the universe as it is,
That's not logic, that's intellectuell lazyness.

Vader182 wrote: Simply, I believe logic dictates there must be some sort of intelligent being to have created the universe as it is.
Yo dawg, I believe that can work somewhat as a self-defeating argument.

But I'd also like to add, I don't think it's fair to stomp on another's belief or hassle someone about it. If it brings them peace of mind without directly hurting others then you should leave them alone. Otherwise, you would be some sort of bizarre inverse zealot.
Do you... like pineapple?

Vader182 wrote:Simply, I believe logic dictates there must be some sort of intelligent being to have created the universe as it is
Universe wasn't created by one being... that's ilogic.
Cilogy wrote:
RIFA wrote:Actually, we had more wars because of women than because of religion or politics...
Back up this claim.
Well... The biggest war of all, the war between sexes. :lol:
Cilogy wrote:The issue is not whether it is a tool, it's about the fact that it is an improperly used tool.
Let's make a thread for anything that is an improperly used tool. Of course religion is an improperly used tool. No news here. But this thread makes it seem like ALL RELIGIONS and ALL PARTS OF A RELIGION are corrupt and used improperly which is wrong.

Generalizing is the laziest form of accusation. (book this)

RIFA wrote:Let's make a thread for anything that is an improperly used tool. Of course religion is an improperly used tool. No news here. But this thread makes it seem like ALL RELIGIONS and ALL PARTS OF A RELIGION are corrupt and used improperly which is wrong.
This is what Mason said:
I also want to discuss religion's good points opposed to it's bad, because even thought I am not a religious person, and lots of elements of various religions annoy me greatly, I still see how religion, if used appropriately, can be a good tool.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Good has come out of religion such as charity, helping people out, etc. But there is bad too.

Overall, I would like to think that there is a God because belief in God gives life some meaning. Science does a wonderful job of explaining how things work in our world. Religion attempts to explain why we are here.

The only time I hate religion is when people try to shove their beliefs down other people's throats and when people completely disregard science and go to religion. Ex. Evolution vs. Creationism.

I was born into a Hindu family. And I'm lucky that my parents never shoved those beliefs down my throat. They let me think for myself and come up with my own set of beliefs about the world and about life.

I personally have always tried to avoid all forms of religion.

I think the creation of such a concept was unavoidable, and yet necessary: in a precarious time, it was the easiest way to unite people and make them adhere to the idea of "common survival". Humans have always felt the need to believe in some kind of super being -not necessarily unique- controlling all the things that they did not understand: from the evolution of seasons to the alternation night/day, to cite the most clichéd examples.

So, I believe religion was created "by reflex". It was the simplest way to guarantee the survival of Mankind. Religion instaured the very basis of our civilization: hierarchy. It established the basis of our culture, stimulated Man's creativity -painting, music, sculpture, literature, but also, and mostly, it gave us the oportunity to invent War.

That's for the "beneficial" part.

I don't believe in God because "God" is, to me, a word lacking in meaning. The concept of "God", as religions use it, is an advertisement tool, and religion, an industry. Profitable to the elite.

Religious beliefs can be noble, but what about the people who control such an institution? Spirituality deals with completely abstract notions, therefore its range is almost infinite: it reaches all kinds of public. History has shown countless times that people's beliefs are flexible: one can adapt them or use them as a pretext to satisfy his needs. Religion is the easiest way to control crowds... It is the most valuable brainwashing tool ever, and it can get really easily out of control. Fanatism is part of the religious process: it can't be helped.

I see examples of procuring and religious propaganda every day, at school, in the streets, everywhere. Some of my teachers even favor christened children. I respect religious beliefs, but I don't think there's any purity left in religion nowadays. In a gangrened and corrupted world, it has turned into a political tool -an easy way to manipulate minds. Which leads me to the conclusion: "Ah, it's a sad world we live in."

akv1984 wrote:I was born into a Hindu family. And I'm lucky that my parents never shoved those beliefs down my throat. They let me think for myself and come up with my own set of beliefs about the world and about life.
Same here.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

Agnostic here. Atheists bother me nearly as much as religious folks. Both display certainty; 1.) I know there's a God/after life, 2.) I know there isn't a God/after life. Both are blank, unfounded statements. Displaying any kind of certainty when dealing with the unknown is ludicrous.
From a scientific (but not entirely reliable) point of view, your brain shuts down and your body/brain loses all consciousness, like before you were born.
Eh. It's a scientific fact that your brain operates by using neurotransmitters and electrical impulses. Essentially- energy. The question, which science can't and never will be able to answer, is where that energy actually goes when a person dies. Furthermore, if that energy, since remember, it's a vehicle for your consciousness and thoughts, actually contains information, or if it's simply like a battery in your phone. It's a train of logic held by a lot of ghost believers, but it applies to the afterlife just the same.

But, like Vader, don't expect me to stick around in this discussion for very long. These things never end in resolve, just bitter feelings and tense emotions.