Religious Discussions

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Vader182 wrote:Scientology is openly scientifically inaccurate and the entire hierarchy functions on getting more money. We had a section on it in world religions. It's basically a cult that breaks you psychologically.

-Vader
Christianity is openly scientifically inaccurate and the entire hierarchy functions on getting more money. We had a section on it in world religions. It's basically a cult that breaks you psychologically.
You could use the same definition for a lot of world religions.

"When art imitates life"

I was reading comments on Person of Interest FB page and I didn't knew should I :lol: or :suicide: .
Reason for complaint? Married lesbian couple.
Here are some gems from the comments :
My husband and I have been Fans since show #1, but after seeing 'Critical' episode, we are not allowing the entire series in our family home anymore. . We are Catholic faithful and we felt Jim Caviezel who is supposed to also be a faithful Catholic, would have the clout and wisdom to keep same-sex marriage promotion out of the series. We can't watch you, Jim, anymore. We will face Christ our Judge, sooner than later, and He'll make us accountable.
We loved this show from the beginning. We thought it was so different, clean and loved the actors characters...but, last nights episode didn't work for us. To bring that subject matter to a entertainment show, such as this, was not what we want driven down our throats. Sorry PoI we turned it off when we saw the Mr & Mrs gals...we won't be back. If that's what's happening with TV shows from now on, we are not going there. There are plenty of good TV shows, for our family to watch, that will entertain us for many years to come.
Bye!
I want to protest last night's show. (11/15) There was highlighted a "Lesbian" marriage. Most of our nation follows Christianity or Islam, and "gay/lesbian" is an affront to both faiths. Person of Interest as a show is really good. But this was a bad idea. I urge you in the future to NOT include the "gay/lesbian agenda" into your screenplays. Thank you.
Wow great show and then you ruined it by portraying lesbian marriage as normal. Marriage is between one man and one woman. God invented it and it cannot be changed. Come on CBS you wanna be like the other networks or do you want to rise above them?
I was entirely disappointed with the show this evening. Why on earth did you need to inject the moral/ethical issue of same sex marriage into the show? Do you realize how offensive and amoral that lifestyle is to the general population and specifically to Christians. Why inject such a perverted lifestyle choice into a popular show when only 1% of the American population claims to be gay? In the process, you are offending the 99% of us who aren't and who firmly believe that marriage is between a man and a woman! I will not be watching this show any longer because of your obvious support of a lifestyle that is nothing but sin. In addition, I will no longer be watching anything on CBS!
gib sigs

I found it really awkward during Thanksgiving dinner when my family started saying grace and I'm the only Atheist there :crazy:

(That's a secret of course ;) )

Not bashing anyone ofc but I felt like sharing.
Sigs???

TehBatGetsBraked wrote:I found it really awkward during Thanksgiving dinner when my family started saying grace and I'm the only Atheist there :crazy:

I'm just curious, how would you think your parents would handle it if you told them you're an Atheist?

cooldued wrote:
TehBatGetsBraked wrote:I found it really awkward during Thanksgiving dinner when my family started saying grace and I'm the only Atheist there :crazy:

I'm just curious, how would you think your parents would handle it if you told them you're an Atheist?
To be honest I think my mom would handle it decently. It's the rest of my family that's really up in the air. But I know there's some who just won't really be to pleased. Same goes for my friends, in a way.
Sigs???

It's sad when some people have to explain to their loved ones and to their friends that they believe in... the real world. I think it is very very sad that in the 21st century we have a word that descibes people who are aware of the real world and know that we, humans, are not the center of the universe. It is mindblowing that we have a word for people who don't wish to be an abject slaves (thank you, Christopher Hitchens) to some mad egocentric massmurder in the sky. A word like atheism. Can you imagine a word for people who don't believe that there are actual aliens on the Moon at this very moment? Or a specific word for people who think that dragons or wizards does not exist? Or maybe a word for people who don't believe that every triangle has more than three sides?

I am going to repeat this over and over again - at least until this point, humanity is greatly overrated. Until we learn to live our lives without the mass delusions and start to actually care about this planet and the people living on it - until then... we won't progress or we will progress very little as a species...

I can't believe this isn't a banned topic :clap: , come on mods.

Why can't people just go, I don't mind your beliefs if you don't mind mine? Is that really too difficult to do?

BeHappyAndStupid wrote:It's sad when some people have to explain to their loved ones and to their friends that they believe in... the real world.
And because of this... we can't really have a civilized conversation in this topic. Every atheist or whatever he thinks he is has to consider his beliefs as being elementary to the "real world" which can easily be perceived as insulting for those who have faith in something else besides just the real world... It's such an example of pretentiousness, misunderstanding, and superiority, that it completely destroys any logical debate from the very start.

It's obvious this topic should be closed because few people, both atheists and theists, have had enough respect for each other to carry a smart debate without subtly insulting the other person for his beliefs.

Merry Christmas to all of you, atheists, agnostics, gnostics or theists. Y'all are great human beings if you're rational and kind.

RIFA wrote:
BeHappyAndStupid wrote:It's sad when some people have to explain to their loved ones and to their friends that they believe in... the real world.
And because of this... we can't really have a civilized conversation in this topic. Every atheist or whatever he thinks he is has to consider his beliefs as being elementary to the "real world" which can easily be perceived as insulting for those who have faith in something else besides just the real world... It's such an example of pretentiousness, misunderstanding, and superiority, that it completely destroys any logical debate from the very start.

It's obvious this topic should be closed because few people, both atheists and theists, have had enough respect for each other to carry a smart debate without subtly insulting the other person for his beliefs.

Merry Christmas to all of you, atheists, agnostics, gnostics or theists. Y'all are great human beings if you're rational and kind.
Then let's have a civilized conversation.

Here lemme start:

From my perspective, belief in something is a very human thing. Even the most staunch atheists believe in something that transcends reality. I have absolutely no problem with faith or belief. I personally don't believe in god, because I see no point, but I do believe in things like love, compassion, respect, and kindness.

I do, however, have a bit of a problem with organized religion and when people use it as a tool to mislead people. When people say that they've found the answer to all our problems, and create all these rules and restrictions that make no logical sense, it becomes a problem. When people create this whole franchise and institution around faith, it becomes a problem. It's only natural for people to create religions, but I think it's also natural for people to realize how archaic and restricting religions are, and how we can't go about defining our selves and our faith by what a book says, or by what a tablet says, or by what some random prophet says.

To me, it's just a thing of the past, and I think we're gonna see more and more people realizing this in the next few generations.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.