Religious Discussions

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Dodd wrote:My religious philosophy: I don't know and you don't know and neither does anyone else so who cares
One issue here. Someone knows.

RIFA wrote:
Dodd wrote:My religious philosophy: I don't know and you don't know and neither does anyone else so who cares
You don't know that.

solo2001 wrote:
RIFA wrote:
You don't know that.
I do know that. It's also common sense.

Who knows it then?

solo2001 wrote:Who knows it then?
Tim Tebow

IWatchFilmsNotMovies wrote:
Tim Tebow
:o How could I have been so blind! Image
Why you lurking my page brah?

For example religion.

It's common sense that if YOU (as in general) say that the people wrote the bible to use it as a manipulative tool then it's obvious that SOMEONE knows the truth about God's divine scope. SOMEONE knows about the true identity of God and the true meaning and purpose of the bible.

It's also common sense that there are buried secrets (important secrets of course) not shared by some people. Secrets that are obviously kept by SOME PEOPLE.

I also know because I know someone knows. If that makes sense to you, if not, ok.

RIFA wrote:
For example religion.

It's common sense that if YOU (as in general) say that the people wrote the bible to use it as a manipulative tool then it's obvious that SOMEONE knows the truth about God's divine scope. SOMEONE knows about the true identity of God and the true meaning and purpose of the bible.
No. It's entirely possible that the people who wrote the bible believed that it's true. Even if it was written as a manipulative tool, then all the people inviolved are long dead. Even iof the bible is bullshit and someone knows it, how can you know if there's not another deity out there?

No one knows. In fact, we cannot know. It's a defining principle of god and religion.

BTW, in the thrad about absolutism vs. relativism you agreed with me that it's an established fact of epistemology that the truth (about anything but the most trivial matters) cannot be known. How come you changed your mind so quickly?

I'm an agnostic deist

Although, I was religious and ironically I am still an altar boy (I don't wanna hear any priest jokes) only because my parents make me go. I remember taking comfort in Catholicism until I took a class on European History. Mason is right in that it is a form of brainwashing and I believe that since there is a lot of different religions, none of them can be the right one (why is my religion the correct one?). As an 18 year old, I feel content in saying "I just don't know" and if there is a God, I don't believe he will penalize me for not forcibly believing in his existence
"When art imitates life"