Hackers

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Is it just me, or is cyber hacking on the rise, big style. Steam has just been hacked. Why is security so poor with all of these big companies?

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1212201p1.html
Gabe Newell announced today that Steam's database and forums have been hacked. According to Newell, Steam's forums were defaced earlier this week, and further investigation led to evidence that the hackers had obtained access to the Steam database.

"This database contained information including user names, hashed and salted passwords, game purchases, email addresses, billing addresses and encrypted credit card information," Newell wrote. "We do not have evidence that encrypted credit card numbers or personally identifying information were taken by the intruders, or that the protection on credit card numbers or passwords was cracked. We are still investigating."

While the hackers may have had access to the data, it isn't immediately clear how much information they actually took, or if any of it has been used.

"We don't have evidence of credit card misuse at this time," Newell added. "Nonetheless you should watch your credit card activity and statements closely."

Beyond personal information, Newell also issued an advisory about Steam forum accounts. All users will be required to change their passwords the next time they log in, and Newell recommends changing the passwords on any other accounts that used the same password.

"We do not know of any compromised Steam accounts, so we are not planning to force a change of Steam account passwords (which are separate from forum passwords). However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change that as well, especially if it is the same as your Steam forum account password. We will reopen the forums as soon as we can. I am truly sorry this happened, and I apologize for the inconvenience."

Security is not poor. Problem is... we entered into this world so "pirates" and "thieves" are to be expected. Their number will grow just like in the normal society. They are skilled and prepared. Hacking steam is really something, I think, easy to be done. The most cases of hacking however are met in the financial trading sector. Systems like MoneyGram or the simple credit/debit cards. There take place the biggest pieces of hacking. Millions and millions of dollars are lost each year. And the numbers are growing.

How in the world do these people hack these sites and make it seem soooo easy? I try to hack my friend's Facebook and I can't even do that at all.

Someone needs to teach me how to hack.

akv1984 wrote:How in the world do these people hack these sites and make it seem soooo easy? I try to hack my friend's Facebook and I can't even do that at all.

Even the pro's can't hack Facebook, you can keylog him/her but that's pretty much it so far.

I guess it's because Facebook itself is essentially run by "hackers". :lol:
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.

akv1984 wrote:How in the world do these people hack these sites and make it seem soooo easy? I try to hack my friend's Facebook and I can't even do that at all.

hmm..if you have access to your friends PC, then its pretty easy to hack.. u should use keyloggers or modify hosts file in windows..

I may have the solution you're looking for.

Mason wrote:

I may have the solution you're looking for.
And your solution is?

And thanks for telling me about keylogging you guys! I'll have to try that out someday.

I don't like hackers.

Baconboy wrote:I don't like hackers.
Fascinating.