2012 Presidential Election

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
GothamGirl wrote:SO EXCITE FOR THE 60 MINUTES INTERVIEW WITH RYAN AND ROMNEY.

Should be pretty funny/rage inducing.
Paul Ryan rated '0 percent' on gay rights by Human Rights Campaign, 91 percent by Christian Coalition
According to the website On The Issues, U.S. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, Mitt Romney's choice for vice presidential running mate, "is a Hard-Core Conservative"
Ryan's gay-rights record, according to On The Issues:
Voted yes on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation
Voted yes on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman
Voted yes on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage
Voted yes on banning gay adoptions in Washington, D.C.
Rated 0% by the gay rights group HRC
Rated 91% by the conservative Christian Coalition

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/gaysouth ... rylink=cpy
He's a Tea Party conservative, I kinda expected him to have this stance. Especially when his budget proposal called for cuts on programs for the poor and more tax cuts for the wealthy. He also thinks healthcare costs are increased through inflation! That doesn't happen, health insurance is on a completely separate market. I don't think Paul Ryan has any idea what he is doing. He doesn't understand any fiscal policies and is not a very good with understanding how the economy or market in general works.
President and Chief Financial Officer of The Official Faora Fan Club Est. 2013

It's a great opportunity for Democrats to talk about who voted for the Ryan budget in their local races (98% of Rs, 0% of Ds) and nationalize the Congressional races with Romney's choice of Ryan. I wouldn't put money on the House flipping back to the Democrats after 2 years but the chance is there for some pick-up opportunities. Even if the House flipped, the Senate is stuck on the whims of a minority (whoever it might be) voting against cloture and blocking legislation. As for President Obama, he's pretty much done his job about what I expected 4 years ago, no better than I thought he'd be, and not much worse.

http://gawker.com/5935373/romney-ive-ne ... 3-in-taxes

David Simon [creator of The Wire] talks about Romney's statement that he paid atleast 13% tax:
Mitt Romney paid taxes at a rate of at least 13 percent. And he’s proud to say so.

Can we stand back and pause a short minute to take in the spectacle of a man who wants to be President of The United States, who wants us to seriously regard him as a paragon of the American civic ideal, declaiming proudly and in public that he has paid his taxes at a third of the rate normally associated with gentlemen of his economic benefit.

Stunning.

Am I supposed to congratulate this man? Thank him for his good citizenship? Compliment him for being clever enough to arm himself with enough tax lawyers so that he could legally minimize his obligations?

Thirteen percent. The last time I paid taxes at that rate, I believe I might still have been in college. If not, it was my first couple years as a newspaper reporter. Since then, the paychecks have been just fine, thanks, and I don’t see any reason not to pay at the rate appropriate to my earnings, given that I’m writing the check to the same government that provided the economic environment that allowed for such incomes.

I can’t get over the absurdity of this moment, honestly: Hey, I never paid less than thirteen percent. I swear. And no, you can’t examine my tax returns in any more detail. But I promise you all, my fellow American citizens, I never once slipped to single digits. I’m just not that kind of guy.

God.

This republic is just about over, isn’t it?

Obama and Romney can suck it. Gary Johnson from the Libertarian Party is the way to go.

NotWearingHockeyPads wrote:Obama and Romney can suck it. Gary Johnson from the Libertarian Party is the way to go.
If I was an American voter - which obviously I am not - I would find his stance on Afghanistan quite off-putting.

I love US politics, it's fascinating compared to politics in the UK. I'll be watching this election with more interest than I had in the 2010 GE over here, and probably the 2011 SP elections.

Whoever wins, you lose.

Baneling wrote:
Whoever wins, you lose.
We will fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny
"When art imitates life"

I'm still mad Ron Paul dropped out of the election.