Do we really exist? Is the world we're living in real?

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Posts: 827
Joined: July 2009
Location: Cardiff, UK
Jackson wrote:
rbevanx wrote:Evolution is fact
Evolution is not a fact. You cannot scientifically prove something that you cannot observe.
You actually can observe it.

We have got taller over the many years. Go to a historic place where someone use to live hundreds of years ago and see how small the doors are to current doors lol


I have already proved you wrong fella lol.

But just because evolution is fact doesn't mean there is no God full stop mind.

User avatar
Posts: 13943
Joined: June 2009
Location: La La Land
Jackson wrote:
rbevanx wrote:Evolution is fact
Evolution is not a fact. You cannot scientifically prove something that you cannot observe.
Wow. As I mentioned earlier, the GALAPAGOS ISLANDS. It can be observed! Why is mounds of fossil evidence and current observation of other animals and plants evolving on an annual basis not enough for you?

Posts: 591
Joined: May 2010
Are you kidding me? Inconsistent evidence? Unexplained aspects of the natural world? Instability? What the hell does lack of observation even mean?
Go read. I didn't make those objections, they are well known.
Crazy Eight wrote: Just by looking at our bodies compared to apes bodies it's clear that we are descendants from a similar if not the same ancestral species.
HAHA! That's what makes evolution a fact? :lol:

If we really came from apes why aren't apes turning or "evolving" into humans nowadays?
every scientist that isn't a religious nut accepts evolution
You clearly are unaware of the 600 scientists who were skeptic about the evolution theory.
If you want to live in a fantasy land in which God and/or aliens put humans on this planet magically go ahead
I don't believe in aliens.
but you're just embarrassing yourself with a response like this.
Till now you failed to provide a valid disapproval to the objections of evolution that I stated above. You're the one who's embarrassing himself. :|

Posts: 591
Joined: May 2010
rbevanx wrote:
Jackson wrote:
Evolution is not a fact. You cannot scientifically prove something that you cannot observe.
You actually can observe it.

We have got taller over the many years. Go to a historic place where someone use to live hundreds of years ago and see how small the doors are to current doors lol


I have already proved you wrong fella lol.

But just because evolution is fact doesn't mean there is no God full stop mind.
I am not arguing about the increase in length, that's natural selection. I am arguing about speciation. It was never really observed.

User avatar
Posts: 13943
Joined: June 2009
Location: La La Land
If we really came from apes why aren't apes turning or "evolving" into humans nowadays?
Who said humans are the end goal? Evolution isn't exclusive to humanity. Every species has evolved from something else. The apes a million years ago were entirely different to the apes that we have now. Some branched off and evolved into modern day gorillas, others chimpanzees and so on.

You claim observations on evolution can't be made yet you still ignore the Galapagos Islands (as I have brought up three times now). Not only does fossil evidence prove that evolution happened, but we can observe it happening now.

You keep trying to "reason" the shit out of evolution while fully ignoring the vast amount of evidence that supports it, the fact that WE CAN observe it happening now, and you decide to not bring up any other explanations to the existence of life on Earth. You're argument is a bad joke.

I find it rather amusing that you'll accept ridiculous conspiracy theories from "The Arrivals" but you refuse to accept evolution. :lol:

Posts: 13622
Joined: June 2009
Location: Florida
Yes, you can observe evolution. I forgot who is doing it and at what college, but they have been breeding and selecting various forms of E. Coli for about 30 to 40 years now.

They started with a very simple strain of E. Coli and they have bred new strains, changed the size and shape, alter how much it can eat and survive.

Darwin also did this with his birds, breeding and selecting various forms of animals.

If you're talking about the observation of the creation of a new species, we have done that too. Africanized killer bees would probably never exist without human intervention.

There is also a very common one, you probably have one in your house.

Image

Arf arf, I'm the result of selective breeding over hundreds of years, arf arf. [/dork]
If we really came from apes why aren't apes turning or "evolving" into humans nowadays?
Apes aren't turning into humans because:

1) They survive in their environment. That's what evolution is, development over time due to their environment.
2) We did not evolve from Gorillas/Chimpanzees/Monkeys. We share a common ancestor that is long extinct. This is shown through both our DNA and a shared morphed chromosomes [two of the ape chromosomes morphed together into a single chromosome, this is why they have 48 chromosomes (24 pairs) and we have 46 (23 pairs).]
3) Like Crazy Eight said, being a human isn't the end goal. We are human because that's how we survived in our environment.
4) Evolution is very very very slow. If you really wanted to breed a gorilla into a "human" then you'll have to be one dedicated person with many dedicated people after you're dead. First, you'll have to get about a thousand gorillas together, pairing each one up to your desired gene passage. Eventually a gorilla will come along that has less hair then the average gorilla. Another gorilla will come along that can use its rear legs to walk more "up right" then the others. Another gorilla may develop a larger brain capacity. Then you'll have to breed those gorillas with other gorillas, killing the offspring that are like the rest of the gorillas and then breed the gorillas that have their desired mutated gene.
And in about say...a million years of dedicated selection and breeding, you'll have a gorilla that is almost bald, can almost stand-up right, and can hold a pencil in its hand and maybe sing the alphabet.

We've been doing that to wolves for almost 25,000~ years or so, they are a new species called a "dog". ;)

chee wrote:Yes, you can observe evolution. I forgot who is doing it and at what college, but they have been breeding and selecting various forms of E. Coli for about 30 to 40 years now.

They started with a very simple strain of E. Coli and they have bred new strains, changed the size and shape, alter how much it can eat and survive.

Darwin also did this with his birds, breeding and selecting various forms of animals.

If you're talking about the observation of the creation of a new species, we have done that too. Africanized killer bees would probably never exist without human intervention.

There is also a very common one, you probably have one in your house.

Image

Arf arf, I'm the result of selective breeding over hundreds of years, arf arf. [/dork]
If we really came from apes why aren't apes turning or "evolving" into humans nowadays?
Apes aren't turning into humans because:

1) They survive in their environment. That's what evolution is, development over time due to their environment.
2) We did not evolve from Gorillas/Chimpanzees/Monkeys. We share a common ancestor that is long extinct. This is shown through both our DNA and a shared morphed chromosomes [two of the ape chromosomes morphed together into a single chromosome, this is why they have 48 chromosomes (24 pairs) and we have 46 (23 pairs).]
3) Like Crazy Eight said, being a human isn't the end goal. We are human because that's how we survived in our environment.
4) Evolution is very very very slow. If you really wanted to breed a gorilla into a "human" then you'll have to be one dedicated person with many dedicated people after you're dead. First, you'll have to get about a thousand gorillas together, pairing each one up to your desired gene passage. Eventually a gorilla will come along that has less hair then the average gorilla. Another gorilla will come along that can use its rear legs to walk more "up right" then the others. Another gorilla may develop a larger brain capacity. Then you'll have to breed those gorillas with other gorillas, killing the offspring that are like the rest of the gorillas and then breed the gorillas that have their desired mutated gene.
And in about say...a million years of dedicated selection and breeding, you'll have a gorilla that is almost bald, can almost stand-up right, and can hold a pencil in its hand and maybe sing the alphabet.

We've been doing that to wolves for almost 25,000~ years or so, they are a new species called a "dog". ;)


Image
Well done.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Crazy Eight wrote:Some people will always argue that evolution is a theory Jackson, but that doesn't make it so.

The same could be said about those who say evolution is not a theory so what's the point? :lol:

I agree that evolution is a fact but only till one point. From that point it's only a theory. So in fact, evolution, at this very moment, is both fact and theory. From A to B it's a fact, from B to C it's a fact but from C to D it's just a theory. Since evolution is from A to D then evolution has it's own facts and theories because not everything was explained. Matter of fact, there is still a large amount of information about life evolution on earth that is not explained. There are theories about it, they might have a clue about what happened at one point but they don't have a proof. So, by not having a proof, that clue becomes a theory.

not having proof = theory (as you people said)

So Jackson has a point, but still, the subject of this thread is far-fetched. Like I said, just because we're part of a grid or of a simulated world doesn't mean that we don't exist. We exist in that specific world so what's the point asking yourself if everything you see is real... :?:

User avatar
Posts: 13943
Joined: June 2009
Location: La La Land
The same could be said about those who say evolution is not a theory so what's the point? :lol:
Evolution is as much of a fact as anything science can offer, saying it's a theory is word play that creationists have decided to use as a "valid" point to harp on the reality of evolution. By this same logic then gravity is just a theory, but I don't see anyone arguing against that. Why? Because it doesn't go against creation stories written in holy books (specifically the Old Testament).
From A to B it's a fact, from B to C it's a fact but from C to D it's just a theory.
:eh:

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Crazy Eight wrote: :eh:
Darwin didn't explain everything. Actually, he reached to a point where he didn't have any explanation at all. He even said, from that moment on, everything that happened before the known facts becomes a big theory. That's my point.
Last edited by RIFA on December 27th, 2010, 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Reply