Putin's Invasion of Ukraine

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

NPR - CIA Director William Burns: Putin is 'the apostle of payback'
[CIA Director] BURNS: I think [Prigozhin]'s been in Minsk lately. I'm not sure he has any plans to retire in the suburbs of Minsk. But he's - but he spent time in Russia as well. And I think, you know, what we're seeing is a very complicated dance between Prigozhin and Putin. I think Putin is someone who generally thinks that revenge is a dish best served cold. So he's going to try to settle the situation to the extent he can. But again, in my experience, Putin is the ultimate apostle of payback. So I would be surprised if Prigozhin escapes further retribution for this. So in that sense, the president's right. If I were Prigozhin, I wouldn't fire my food taster.
Last month, both SoS Blinken and President Biden warned the Russians were likely to kill him. It's the world's biggest open secret that Putin offs people (using poisons, 'accidents', and deliberate) for decades that screw up or challenge him with plausible deniability.

See also: Yevgeny Prigozhin - Wikipedia

Faytuks News: “BREAKING: A western official says they have been told that Prigozhin's jet was brought down by a Russian anti-aircraft missile system - Financial times”

Associated Press - US intelligence says intentional explosion killed Wagner chief

The Washington Post - Musk’s new Twitter policies helped spread Russian propaganda, E.U. says
X’s failure to slow the spread of disinformation on the Internet would have violated E.U. social media law, had it been in effect

Russia’s African coup strategy - Microsoft On the Issues

The Daily Beast - Musk Secretly Used Starlink to Foil Ukrainian Drone Attack on Russian Ships: [Walter Isaacson’s Musk biography] Report

SpaceX should be considered for nationalization and Musk's security revoked. And before he gets the stupid idea to merge Tesla/SpaceX/Neuralink/-Twitter- all into one company.

Futurism - SpaceX and Tesla Get Way More Government Money Than NPR

The Washington Post - Pentagon discloses it’s paying for Elon Musk’s Starlink internet in Ukraine (June 2023)
The billionaire owner of SpaceX and Twitter had threatened to sever the donated service months ago, saying the U.S. government should cover the costs

Commander of Russian Air Defence Forces which protect Moscow arrested for bribery

Ukrainian counteroffensive making 'tangible progress,' Blinken says

Kyiv Post - If We Appease Putin Ukraine Will Be Destroyed, Says Reznikov in Farewell Op-Ed
Reznikov, Ukraine's outgoing Defense Minister, welcomed Umerov to the post while warning Western allies that appeasing Putin today would be no more effective than appeasing Hitler in 1938.

Newsweek - Russian General Admits Ukraine Just a 'Stepping Stone' to Invade Europe
"I think there's still plenty of time to spend. It is pointless to talk about a specified period. If we are talking about Eastern Europe, which we will have to, of course then it will be longer," the general said. "Ukraine is only a stepping stone?" the interviewer then asked. "Yes, absolutely. It is only the beginning," Mordvichev responded, who went on to say that the war "will not stop here."
This week, Putin promoted Lieutenant General Andrey Mordvichev to the rank of Colonel-General. The military leader had already been serving in the role of commanding the Central Military District and Russian Central Grouping of Forces in Ukraine.
Physical warfare isn't the any way Putin's Russia can conquer other countries. Installing pro-Putin politicians goes a long way. Which happened in Ukraine under Viktor Yanukovych, Donald Trump in the United States, and various coups happening on the continent of Africa right now, among many others.

CBS News - Gen. Mark Milley on seeing through the fog of war in Ukraine
No other American has been more deeply involved in the war in Ukraine than General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. At 6:45 in the morning, he was about to have a call with Gen. Valery Zaluzhny, commander of Ukraine's armed forces. "I talk to him every week, sometimes twice a week, three times a week," Milley said. Three hours later, he took "Sunday Morning" underground, deep in the bowels of the Pentagon, into a top-secret command center where all the intelligence collected from the battlefields of Ukraine is monitored by his staff, who inform him on a day-to-day basis what's happening in the current operations. Milley said, "The fog and friction of war is always present, but our information systems are pretty good."

Kremlin makes hints of Putin’s “victory” in presidential election
"Assuming that the president does run for office, it's clear that no one in our country can really compete with him at this point."

Because they jail and/or kill would-be viable challengers and manipulate the process. Mercenary Warlord Prigozhin could have been a viable candidate in a Russia with free and fair elections, which they do not have.

Bloomberg News - [Brazil President] Lula Backs Off Pledge Putin Won’t Be Arrested If He Visits
  • * Brazilian leader says arrest decision up to judiciary
  • * Putin faces war-crimes warrant from international court
South Korea pledges $2.3 billion in aid for Ukraine

Guard At One Of Putin's Palaces Flees To Ecuador, Criticizes War And Kremlin Leader

Reuters - Ukraine retakes offshore drilling platforms near Crimea - military intelligence

Reuters - Exclusive: Ukraine could get long-range missiles armed with US cluster bombs - officials

Elon Musk's financial interests put him in a position of having his own personal foreign policy, but new reporting shows that whether it's manufacturing in China or the Starlink network being used by Ukraine, Musk's decisions can run counter to stated U.S. policy. Journalist Ronan Farrow reports. - Aired on 09/11/2023.

CNBC - Russia’s Putin praises Elon Musk as an ‘outstanding person’ and ‘talented businessman’
Putin's comments come after Musk said last week that he refused an emergency request by Ukraine to extend coverage of Starlink satellites to the Crimea.

SPLC - Jan. 6 Participant Who ‘Fled to Russia’ Hasn’t Come Home
Pro-Kremlin propagandist Charles Bausman has reemerged as a media commentator in Russia since leaving behind nearly $1 million in property following the deadly Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection in Washington, D.C., Hatewatch found.
As a commentator in Russian media, Bausman positions himself as an expert on U.S. politics. He depicts the United States as fragmented and on the brink of revolution, while flaunting his own alleged connections to Russian officials. Simultaneously, despite U.S.-Russian relations being badly eroded due to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s 2022 full-scale invasion of Ukraine, Bausman has sought to portray Russia as a viable haven for Western conservatives frustrated with a culture that he claims has specifically targeted “white men.”

“Russia is the last bulwark of humanity. If Russia leaves the world arena for any reason, without having stopped this appalling situation that we are facing in the West, there will be no hope,” Bausman said during an Oct. 31, 2022, event in Moscow.

Daily Kos - [Liz] Cheney's jab at 'Putin wing' of the Republican Party is an electoral masterstroke … for Democrats