Racial Injustice

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Yeah, your eyes aren’t fooling you. This thread did exist before (albeit for a very brief time). It was merged into a different thread that, for the time being, has turned into this go-to place for all sorts of debate. But I do firmly still believe a separate space to discuss race and racial injustice does belong here. Since Virgo (who made the previous thread) didn’t respond to my call to remake another thread, here I am.

Please remember that racism, colorism and other issues pertaining to racial bigotry didn’t begin nor will they end in the US solely. It’s a global issue that is applicable to every single country that there is, which is why it was never the right thing to seclude all discussion to Trumpocalypse Now thread in the first place.

Hopefully this thread can become a place where we all share and have a mature discussion, and learn something from each other. I will gladly listen (both here and you can PM me as well) to further ideas on how to help make this place a bit better and keep the conversation going. ✌️

Went to fact-check the viral tweets that said there's been 120 people killed by the police since George Floyd's death and the results were somehow even more fucked-up:
Several viral posts claimed 120 people in the United States died at the hands of police in the 20 days between George Floyd’s May 25 2020 killing and June 14 2020; subsequent posts on subsequent days carried over the figures of the original post. That data was derived from FatalEncounters.org, a site which uses journalism to compile a complete list of people’s deaths at the hands of police. Occasional replies to the posts claimed the figures were “bullshit,” but the actual answer was a bit more sobering — we don’t actually know how many people die each year at the hands of police, and nor do we know how many have died since Floyd was killed. Attempting to replicate the figures going by proportions did not suggest the number was inaccurate or exaggerated. In fact, it appeared based on our calculations that the number was close to accurate— and possibly still under-counting such deaths. https://www.truthorfiction.com/have-pol ... yds-death/

With this and all the people recently hanged that police is so easily ready to dismiss as "suicides" (literal lynching happening in 2020, btw!), it's depressing to think about how much progress actually has been made.

We're still at a stage where most people can't even tell apart real allyship to one that only contributes to some of the emptiest of gestures because it's been sewn too much and too well into the fabric of our society. All while some of the most heinous of the racial crimes are being turned a blind eye.

All I got left to say is: those who haven't, please read/watch James Baldwin instead of HBO's Watchmen & other fake allyship shit that uses racism as nothing a story-device, diversify your donations and remember that no lives matter until Black Lives Matter. :judge:

The killing of Elijah McClain

What the fuck

Pratham wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:33 am

What the fuck
This has been lingering on my mind for days now. This kid... He seemed like the sweetest most gentle soul, and the sheer cruelty of what was done to him, I just can’t put it into words. It truly hurt to read about his story, and especially read his pleas for cops to stop.

I know people have varied thoughts on whether petitions do anything (they can be of tremendous help), but at the very least what they do is bring awareness. So please take a minute, if you haven’t already, to sign this petition.
https://www.change.org/p/adams-county-d ... 625b916b96

Pratham wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:33 am

What the fuck

Even more what the FUCK.

I'm not surprised tbh. You cannot convince me that it's just 'a few bad apples'. If you're a cop and you're not speaking out about the abuses of authority, the excessive violence and police brutality you witness or hear about and you're not demanding change and accountability for all these things because you simply want to mind your own business and get through your day you're not a good police officer or a decent person, just so we're clear.

Why don't they say the whole phrase? Would that be an admission that the whole bunch is spoiled?

Pratham wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 10:55 am
Why don't they say the whole phrase? Would that be an admission that the whole bunch is spoiled?
If police have done anything the past month, it's emphasize they have absolutely no willingness to admit guilt to anything whatsoever. That unfortunately goes for just about every police officer I actually know tangentially (online/in person) as well as the ones you see in videos/news online.

Police officers will say they stand for peaceful protests, only to tear-gas, arrest, and brutally assault peaceful protesters on camera. Or they'll go online and say they stand for one thing, only to defend abhorrent decisions made by fellow police officers in a following statement later. Every police officer is not a horrible human being, but, like Batfan said, every police officer is a part of a currently corrupt and racist system. And the officers that stand by passively when tragic acts of violence and abuse happen at the hands of other officers are just as guilty and shameful as the ones carrying out the abuse.

Malcolm X's statement about progress is so true. Acknowledging there's an issue is the first step of solving a problem, yet the people of the nation, per usual, refuse to acknowledge there is an issue.

Sticking your head in the sand pretending everything's fine always solved every problem everywhere, true story.