Coronavirus Pandemic

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Cilogy wrote:
March 27th, 2020, 12:40 pm
Artemis wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 1:07 pm
This is just the first wave of layoffs.

Watch this go up in the coming weeks.
Yeah

This is a minor example, I suppose, but GameStop just decided to close like 300 stores permanently. They've opened way too many stores over the years, despite the industry going digital. Now there are virtually zero people going to their stores. There are probably many businesses or franchises like that which were already on the brink of collapse because of industrial change and because of over-investment.

The pandemic has become a sort of death knell for them and others. All of this could permanently shift how industries around the world operate.

I feel like the jobless numbers are only going to get worse now. I'm already taking a 20% pay cut at work right now. Won't be surprised to see some layoffs soon under my position.
I think I saw an estimate that estimates over 1/3rd of the workforce will be laid off.

I think it will be more than 1/3rd. It was estimated that only 1.5m people will be laid off last week I think? And as we all saw, it was way more than that.

I am very scared.

Amongst the side effects of the pandemic, domestic violence has risen all over the world. In France, the government estimates it has risen by more than 30%.

God the texas unemployment website and phone lines are fucked.

Today I got denied benefits since apparently I made $0 dollars during the qualifying base periods (lol what?). I tried calling all morning and was met with dial tones.

I can reapply on April 5th so that's good. All I need to do is show them my past pay stubs from the base periods. IDK why they can't just ask the HR department of my former employer for the pay information. They have to contact them to audit the claim anyway.

The school I had a part-time job at is being terminated due to Coronavirus. It sucks. I really didn't "need" the income but I liked the job, I liked the people over there and I like teaching. Everyone else over there is now left without a job in an environment where you cannot really get a new one for the time being. It's super depressing.

Thankfully the teachers did get an option to continue with online classes (I didn't accept the offer to leave some space for younger, less experienced teachers) but the school's administration, women with kids, are left with nothing.

Online school working solid here.

We're hitting 1000 infected tomorrow, but still no exponential growth at least.

Basically I need Final Fantasy VII Remake and a hug these days, but Animal Crossing and occasional run into the wilderness nearby help too.

10 million people now unemployed in the US.

Stimulus has been pushed back another 2 weeks to April 17th. Any relief efforts here are moving so fucking slowly that by the time the money comes it will be far too late for many.

The response to this has been so incompetent and fucking awful.

-Vader

It almost makes me too sad to talk about it

ah well fuck

Hoping AMC could survive this crisis.

I refuse to see this as the death of cinema. Sure it sucks to see a huge chain go down but I’m sure so many business from all fields are struggling right now.

Hinting that movie theaters will go extinct, also means the death of any live event with a crowd of some sort and I don’t see that happening. Hopefully things will slowly go back to normal in the next 2-3 years.