Coronavirus Pandemic

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Congrats on COVID 2021 until (at least) autumn you guys.

Nomis wrote:
January 1st, 2021, 11:48 am
So I guess it will be until well into Autumn that we'll have some sort of 'group immunity' or something

Depending on where you live of course...
In theory, there will be immunity, and let's not forget about vaccination. But it is worth remembering those who are against vaccination, who do not believe in COVID and do not care about safety measures. Therefore, COVID will still be a threat for more than one year, although there will be no such general incidence.

Weirdly enough, I get it when people are hesitant towards a vaccine that was fast-tracked, but I'll be getting it the moment it's available. Moderna? Pfizer? Get inside me.

I trust the science more than I trust the government's response to this.

Yeah I get why some would have some healthy hesitation due to allergic reactions or as of yet unknown long-term side effects, etc., but it bothers me when people take these possibly legitimate concerns and spin so much anti-science bullshit into it and muddle the waters enough for others to get delusionally scared.

This vaccine wasn’t just developed out of thin air - years prior, scientists have been studying and attempting to develop SARS or MERS vaccines - that same knowledge was used to develop vaccines for COVID. Which is partly why it went faster. Also less bureaucracy, more knowledge and result sharing in between various labs and countries accelerated the process.

I’ll def be getting a vaccine whenever my time’s up. I trust the people who have pretty much dedicated their lives with years long studies way more than conspiracy demagogues and fear mongerers.

It's fascinating how most people are not so concerned about the food and medicine they buy and the water they drink, but suddenly when it comes to vaccines it's "omg I don't know what the government is trying to put into my body"

so um

those new mutations (british/south-african) are obviously already in my country (too)

I think it's only a matter of time it will get the upper hand, being a few weeks more in lockdown or not

particularly not when they lift some lockdown measures. I mean if the more contagious variant is already here, that's a recipe for it to spread like a mfr

it just doesn't make sense to make us believe things will be better in a few weeks time lol

Waking up, looking at the news, reading that the South-African variation of the virus could resist vaccins, going back to sleep.

I think they fear the same for the Brazilian mutation...

well, it's something