Do you have/want children?

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

Do you have children?

Yes.
18%
No, but I do want some day.
41%
No, not interested.
18%
Not sure?
23%

Total votes: 22

cooldude wrote:
January 18th, 2018, 3:30 pm
So, am I the only parent on here.

Someone in the previous page mentioned whether having children is selfish or selfless. Conceptually, its problematic to frame having children as inherently selfish or selfless. I mean, ultimately it comes down to a decision, not an act of either one. It’s not that simple.

But, I can tell you parenting is both, it’s selfish and selfless. I think, just because you brought your children into this world that doesn’t mean they are there to enrich your life, and yet, I think, it can be very destructive for your children to not grow up seeing their parents’ lives enriched by them. I have a 21-months-old daughter, she’s still extremely young, but I make it a point every day to tell her that I enjoy being her father and that I enjoy who she is. I want to do what I can to help her discover meaningful life. It’s relentlessly stressful being a parent, but, moments like seeing her babbling with her favourite stuffed animals in her crib until she falls asleep or coming home from work and getting 10 hugs in a row, makes me overjoyed beyond belief. There’s absolutely nothing like it. I want her to know that.

As for more children, absolutely, but not anytime soon. My daughter is already a handful, lol.
^this. I want this yo. #broodyaf

edit: DD is another parent on NF.

Master Virgo wrote:
January 18th, 2018, 11:09 am
Never understood why most people are so fixated on having children who carry their own genes. Why should that matter in the slightest?£
You're not a biologist are you.

I recently became a father. He'll be two months next week. Really sturdy and handsome fella. He's got blue eyes like a Siberian Husky. Named him after my great grandfather and a character in my favourite video game.

What really grinds my gears as a parent is people crowding social media with pictures of their babies or kids. Don't treat your child as an extension of yourself or some kind of trophy to be endorsed by the whole fucking wide web. Respect their privacy instead.

I miss dado, such a great underrated poster here. Another dad.

I love kids but I'm still undecided on whether I should have kids of my own.

I want a dog.

i got four cats, they're children enough.

It would be nice to give the benefit of the doubt, but I think most people on this forum are probably on the younger side, and those who are younger are a lot more likely to devalue having children. The average man or woman in the United States will have two kids to their name, so that 40% statistic would probably shift away over time.

I don't have any but I think kids would be fine. They're entertaining to some extent and annoying in another. Most people probably do find fulfillment in having kids if they have them in the right circumstances—not when they're paycheck-to-paycheck or a teenager. They make for company or friendship during their later years. In an ideal world, I would like to just raise a clone or two of myself, living the clichéd fantasy of actualizing the environment that I wish I was raised in. But that's far-fetched and will probably never happen.

Geoffrey wrote:
July 10th, 2019, 1:34 am
It would be nice to give the benefit of the doubt, but I think most people on this forum are probably on the younger side, and those who are younger are a lot more likely to devalue having children. The average man or woman in the United States will have two kids to their name, so that 40% statistic would probably shift away over time.

I don't have any but I think kids would be fine. They're entertaining to some extent and annoying in another. Most people probably do find fulfillment in having kids if they have them in the right circumstances—not when they're paycheck-to-paycheck or a teenager. They make for company or friendship during their later years. In an ideal world, I would like to just raise a clone or two of myself, living the clichéd fantasy of actualizing the environment that I wish I was raised in. But that's far-fetched and will probably never happen.
Thank god for that.

You still have to worry, it's only "probably".