DADDY BIDEN WON: USA Presidential Election Trump v. Biden (2020)

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.

Who is going to win the 2020 Presidential Election? real talk

Poll ended at October 29th, 2020, 10:44 am

Trump/Pence
21%
Biden/Harris
79%

Total votes: 28

Shit like this makes me worry that Trump will get re-elected. Apparently it doesn't matter that he keeps lying in national briefings :facepalm:

In the new poll, 55% of Americans approve of the president's management of the crisis, compared to 43% who disapprove. Trump’s approval on this issue is up from last week, when the numbers were nearly reversed. Only 43% approved of Trump's handling of the pandemic and 54% disapproved in last week's poll.

ThePhantomTerror wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 2:13 am
Shit like this makes me worry that Trump will get re-elected. Apparently it doesn't matter that he keeps lying in national briefings :facepalm:

In the new poll, 55% of Americans approve of the president's management of the crisis, compared to 43% who disapprove. Trump’s approval on this issue is up from last week, when the numbers were nearly reversed. Only 43% approved of Trump's handling of the pandemic and 54% disapproved in last week's poll.
Well, Joe Biden is neither debunking Trump's lies nor stepping to to take on the COVID-19 situation at the moment so the Democrats are as a result ceding the ground to the Republicans in terms of the narrative without providing a fact-based counter narrative...

Coronavirus, infect Donald Trump challenge.

NYTimes - How It All Came Apart for Bernie Sanders

For months, his political advisers and outside allies had quietly mulled a shift in tone — the possibility that Mr. Sanders might take even modest steps to show skeptical Democrats that he could unify the party.

But he has always been disdainful of the art of politics and had to be nudged into wooing even friendly Democratic leaders. As Ms. Warren relentlessly courted Ms. Ocasio-Cortez last fall, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s advisers had to prod Mr. Sanders’s aides into having him call her — a conversation that eventually led to her endorsing him.

Pushing Mr. Sanders to reach out to “establishment Democrats” whom he regularly taunted was even tougher — despite the best efforts of even some of his staunchest supporters on the left. Ms. Ocasio-Cortez repeatedly urged the campaign to broaden Mr. Sanders’s message and seek out new allies, outside his familiar base. (In a statement, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez denied any “tension or major disagreements” with Mr. Sanders.)
So confident was Mr. Sanders that he would vanquish Mr. Biden that he spent valuable days trying to force two other candidates out of the race by campaigning in Minnesota and Massachusetts, the home states of Ms. Klobuchar and Ms. Warren. He won neither.

Mr. Sanders had suddenly become a spectator in the campaign, powerless to stop a tectonic shift against him by the party’s moderate wing. Ms. Klobuchar called Mr. Sanders before announcing her endorsement of Mr. Biden, while Mr. Sanders and Mr. Buttigieg did not speak.

After being routed across the country, Mr. Sanders knew who to blame in an appearance on ABC’s “This Week.”

“What the establishment wanted was to make sure that people coalesced around Biden and try to defeat me,” Mr. Sanders said. “So that’s not surprising.”

Sanders played this so wrong.

Something tells me Virgo doesn't like Sanders

Bacon wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 5:45 pm
Something tells me Virgo doesn't like Sanders
I don’t think stating something obvious means he dislikes Sanders.

sanders not getting the nom is almost sadder than corona

No almost about it. It is worse. Much, much worse.

Master Virgo wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 2:31 pm
NYTimes - How It All Came Apart for Bernie Sanders

For months, his political advisers and outside allies had quietly mulled a shift in tone — the possibility that Mr. Sanders might take even modest steps to show skeptical Democrats that he could unify the party.

But he has always been disdainful of the art of politics and had to be nudged into wooing even friendly Democratic leaders. As Ms. Warren relentlessly courted Ms. Ocasio-Cortez last fall, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez’s advisers had to prod Mr. Sanders’s aides into having him call her — a conversation that eventually led to her endorsing him.

Pushing Mr. Sanders to reach out to “establishment Democrats” whom he regularly taunted was even tougher — despite the best efforts of even some of his staunchest supporters on the left. Ms. Ocasio-Cortez repeatedly urged the campaign to broaden Mr. Sanders’s message and seek out new allies, outside his familiar base. (In a statement, Ms. Ocasio-Cortez denied any “tension or major disagreements” with Mr. Sanders.)
So confident was Mr. Sanders that he would vanquish Mr. Biden that he spent valuable days trying to force two other candidates out of the race by campaigning in Minnesota and Massachusetts, the home states of Ms. Klobuchar and Ms. Warren. He won neither.

Mr. Sanders had suddenly become a spectator in the campaign, powerless to stop a tectonic shift against him by the party’s moderate wing. Ms. Klobuchar called Mr. Sanders before announcing her endorsement of Mr. Biden, while Mr. Sanders and Mr. Buttigieg did not speak.

After being routed across the country, Mr. Sanders knew who to blame in an appearance on ABC’s “This Week.”

“What the establishment wanted was to make sure that people coalesced around Biden and try to defeat me,” Mr. Sanders said. “So that’s not surprising.”

Sanders played this so wrong.
The NYT has some nerve, given the absolute idiocy of their double endorsement of Warren and Klobuchar. The entire time people knew that South Carolina was Biden's firewall and the African American community in that state voted mostly for Biden and endorsements like Clyburn's, Buttigieg's, Yang's, Klobuchar's, Harris', etc. created the impression that Biden is the better candidate when arguably he is not. I get that people are voting based on ideas they receive but when I look at the debates, Sanders had actual policies and substance, whereas Biden had bluster, empty words and lies about his own record (lies which the mainstream media forgot to call out by the way). I'd also say that Biden also lost the first 3 states and badly at that so I get why Sanders might have thought other candidates were going to be more of a problem going forward.

This entire thing reads like someone from the centre-right wing of the Dem Party going 'we are just so vital so you better be nice to us and not point out any of our flaws or else we ain't gonna do the right thing', which is just as narcissistic as that sounds. Just because Sanders didn't ring them personally these people were perfectly happy to risk Biden losing to Trump. Like, with climate change on the horizon you'd think they would find it easier to go for candidates who, you know, actually have ideas to deal with these issues instead of voting for empty nostalgia of a centre-right Presidency and no change? But all of this trumping actual substance is (again) nothing new in American politics. It won't help anyone in the future either, though. But hey, the centre-right corporate Dems asserted their control over the Party and that's going to help..absolutely nobody aside from a bunch of consultants and CEOs.

The older generation went out to vote more consistently like they always do and that's it. Anyone below 50 voted mostly for Sanders, the future of the nation said they prefer his ideas over Biden's but they do not make up the majority of the voting population. That Biden cannot excite anyone below the age of 50 is a problem and that he does worse with independents will not be helpful to Democrats either because Sanders did better than Biden with independents according to exit polls in most states. The only thing the Dem voters needed to do in the primary was to vote for the candidate with actual ideas about the future and who was concerned about actual human beings instead of big corporations and that was not hard, given how bad Joe's record is on social security, the Bankruptcy Bill, trade and the Iraq war and how little he promised to do as President. But you also need the media to not make excuses for these kinds of things or omit calling out some of Biden's more blatant lies.

Stupid question but why don't democratic party decide on their common policies instead of having candidates from a wide spectrum running for nomination. Maybe just disband the party system if they can't decide on common program?

I don't understand American politics.