Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Cilogy wrote:
January 22nd, 2018, 12:29 pm
I'll be shocked if someone isn't holding something back for the opportune moment like right before Oscar night or something.
This will happen for Franco or someone else for sure. It's almost certain that a some of this has become a strategic waiting game.

Actually now you mention it, what if there's like a shitload of people who've been kinda asked to wait until like the day before. Just this mass accusation of big names. It's Hollywood's night of masturbation, and actually the perfect moment to force everyone to confront it.

Conspiracy theory, I know, but like how perfect would that be as a cherry on top of all of this.

If that's the case, then I'll be slightly less sad when Nolan ends up not winning BP/BD. Would kinda take away the enjoyment if the main focus of the night were not the winners.

Cilogy wrote:
January 22nd, 2018, 10:34 pm
Actually now you mention it, what if there's like a shitload of people who've been kinda asked to wait until like the day before. Just this mass accusation of big names. It's Hollywood's night of masturbation, and actually the perfect moment to force everyone to confront it.

Conspiracy theory, I know, but like how perfect would that be as a cherry on top of all of this.
It's not a conspiracy theory if it's a good idea.

Devin Faraci, Film Blogger Accused of Sexual Assault, Breaks Silence in PBS Series on #MeToo
The MeToo movement exploded in a white hot flash of revelations and accusation, toppling powerful men in Hollywood, Silicon Valley, the media and politics. Activist and author Zainab Salbi hopes that her new five-part PBS series MeToo What’s Next? – which bows Feb. 2 –will go beyond the salacious headlines and deepen the conversation by deconstructing how we got here and how we can harness this moment for real change across society.

The series includes dozens of interviews with women and men from diverse fields including media, gaming, business, academia, advertising and the restaurant industry. Among them are film blogger Devin Faraci, whose whose ignominious fall came a year before the current reckoning.

For Salbi, it was critically important to draw men into a conversation that has heretofore mostly taken place among women. Faraci lost his job atop the film site Birth.Movies.Death in 2016 when he was accused of assault in the wake of the release of the infamous Access Hollywood tape featuring Donald Trump boasting about assaulting women, including kissing them against their will and grabbing their genitals.

It was a year before the MeToo movement. And it was only the first chapter of Faraci’s story. Several months after he lost his job, it was revealed that he was quietly rehired by the CEO of the site’s owner, Alamo Drafthouse. The company was pilloried on social media for its apparent failure to take the issue seriously. The scandal forced Faraci's resignation last September. He has not been heard from since.

Salbi notes that he was “terrified” to speak to her. She also conducts a separate interview with his accuser, Caroline.

“I was suicidal. I thought I was the worst person who ever lived,” Faraci tells Salbi. “I was a total asshole to so many people. And I saw that as a sign of strength, dominance.”

Caroline, who appears on camera but declines to use her last name, notes: “He’s the person who should feel embarrassed about this and I’m the person who has held on to that embarrassment and shame for so long.”

Salbi won’t reveal who else she has interviewed for the series. But she notes that her goal with the series is to have those “uncomfortable conversations.”

“She talks about her experience of going from shock and anger and then deciding, ok what do I do with this,” Salbi says of Caroline. “It was fascinating for me, his experience and hers. He was known for being a horrible personality and not caring about anyone. And then all of the sudden his life basically is destroyed to now he’s sleeping on the sofa of a friend.

"For me, their story is very powerful," she continues. "And the power of it is in the authenticity. That's my hope for this series, is to really have authentic processes. Get it out. Bring it out. And let’s deal with it.”

£

I didn't know he was married to Uma Thurman.