Sexual Abuse in Hollywood

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Ansel Elgort Denies Sexual Assault Allegation
Ansel Elgort, star of the upcoming HBO Max drama series Tokyo Vice and Steve Spielberg’s West Side Story remake, has issued a statement after he was accused by a woman of sexually assaulting her when she was 17.

The woman, who identified herself only as Gabby, released a lengthy statement on Twitter Friday with the caption “My story with Ansel Elgort”, detailing the alleged 2014 assault. “It was my first time and I was sobbing in pain and I didn’t want to do it the only words that came out of his mouth were ‘we need to break you in,’” she wrote.

In an Instagram post Saturday, Elgort said that in 2014, “Gabby and I had a brief, legal and entirely consensual relationship, insisting that “her descriptions of events is simply not what happened” and that “I have never and would never assault anyone.”

Gabby, whose Twitter account has since been deleted, said she direct-messaged Elgort two days before her 17th birthday, expecting him not to respond, but he did, sending her his personal SnapChat account and a request for nude photos. She also posted a photo of what appeared to be her sitting next to Elgort, along with a screenshot of she said was their direct message exchange.

“Years later I have PTSD, I have panic attacks I go to therapy,” she wrote, also sharing a photo of what appears to be her and Elgort, and a screenshot of their direct messaging conversation.

“I WAS SO YOUNG AND HE KNEW THAT,” she continued. “He as well said stuff like, ‘you’re going to be such a beautiful young lady when you’re older.‘”

She said she came forward now because she’s “ready to talk about it and finally heal.”
In his response, the only thing Elgort apologized for was not handling the breakup well by stopping to respond to Gabby.

“As I look back at my attitude, I am disgusted and deeply ashamed of the way I acted. I am truly sorry,” he wrote. “I know I must continue to reflect, learn, and work to grow in empathy.”

I just don't really buy that statement and he doesn't even mention the numerous other women who have come forward.

What else would you expect him to say? If someone is accused in a seemingly credible fashion, you reckon with the probability they did it, not the certainty. I'm not positive he did it, but I'm unsure to the point I don't think any reasonable person would endorse or enable his career.

-Vader

It just feels like a copy paste apology and it feels disingenuous.

Guessing the lawyer/pr team wrote it. They probably zoom called all day yesterday and today.

Vader182 wrote:
June 21st, 2020, 12:40 am
What else would you expect him to say? If someone is accused in a seemingly credible fashion, you reckon with the probability they did it, not the certainty. I'm not positive he did it, but I'm unsure to the point I don't think any reasonable person would endorse or enable his career.

-Vader
Hypothetically though, the offhand chance he did not do it and he loses his entire career...in that hypothetical that’s pretty terrible. I honestly think something like that rarely or ever happens to be clear.

I have no idea what's going to happen (also 2020 in a nutshell lol) but it's one thing to remove him from Tokyo Vice, since they haven't started shooting but when it comes to West Side Story... That film is in the can and I think even a passion project for Spielberg. I have no idea what they're going to do.

digitally replace him with deaged christopher plummer

Wish Spielberg had cast Taron Edgerton in the first place. Was a much better choice anyway.

American Psycho (2000)