The End of Trumpocalypse: TBD!

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
NY Times - Trump White House Aides Subpoenaed in Firing of Election Security Expert
The special counsel is scrutinizing the dismissal of Christopher Krebs, who contradicted baseless claims by the former president that the 2020 election was marred by fraud.

EXCLUSIVE: Trump captured on tape talking about classified document he kept after leaving the White House | CNN Politics
Federal prosecutors have obtained an audio recording of a summer 2021 meeting in which former President Donald Trump acknowledges he held onto a classified Pentagon document about a potential attack on Iran, multiple sources told CNN, undercutting his argument that he declassified everything.

The Guardian - Trump regretted not declassifying retained military document in recording
For several minutes of the [2021] audio recording, the sources said, Trump talks about how he cannot discuss the document because he no longer possesses the sweeping presidential power to declassify now out of office, but suggests that he should have done so when he was still in the White House.
Maybe he’ll go back to his old lie that the FBI planted all those classified documents.
Master Virgo wrote:
May 31st, 2023, 1:22 pm

I credit Vice President Pence for ending Abortion Trump isn't pro-life. He flip-flopped on every issue and switched parties seven years ago. I was backing Cruz. I wish more people would have helped us out. He defeated Trump in the ten conservative contests in the primary. Now It feels like Déjà vu monitoring the GOP diverse candidates. We even have another catholic Florida governor who is a nice guy. Trump is driving up his negatives because he knows Lion Cruz was close to thwarting him from getting to enough delegates, but nobody would drop out. DeSantis could beat Trump if everyone gets out of the race but don't write off Trump in 2024. It's more like 2016. 1980 then it is 2020. We have a failed Democratic President who's an extension of a disappointing eight years.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... 4-99841809

Trump has been indicted again, this time by a federal grand jury.

NY Times: “It was not immediately known what specific charges Mr. Trump is facing. One person briefed on the matter said there were seven counts.”

Paula Reid CNN: “BREAKING: Trump lawyer Jim Trusty tells @kaitlancollins that they do not have indictment, but have received a summons via email from DOJ which refers to charges including: 1. Espionage Act Charge 2. Several Obstruction Charges 3. False Statements Charges 4. Conspiracy Charge”

Ali Velshi, NBC News: “BREAKING: NBC News confirms that Donald Trump has been charged under 18 US Code 793, ‘Gathering, transmitting or losing defense information’, otherwise known as the ‘Espionage Act’. This is one of 7 charges.”

CNN - Exclusive: Donald Trump admits on tape he didn’t declassify ‘secret information’
“Well, with Milley – uh, let me see that, I’ll show you an example. He said that I wanted to attack Iran. Isn’t that amazing? I have a big pile of papers, this thing just came up. Look. This was him,” Trump says, according to the transcript. “They presented me this – this is off the record, but – they presented me this. This was him. This was the Defense Department and him. We looked at some. This was him. This wasn’t done by me, this was him.”

Trump continues: “All sorts of stuff – pages long, look. Wait a minute, let’s see here. I just found, isn’t that amazing? This totally wins my case, you know. Except it is like, highly confidential. Secret. This is secret information. Look, look at this.”
ABC News - Judge Aileen Cannon, a Trump appointee, initially assigned to oversee his case: Sources

That’s MAGAileen Cannon, who tried to have the case thrown out before being rebuked by her own ‘Special Master’ as well as the Court that sits above hers.

Kyle Griffin, MSNBC producer: “Trump just announced that Jim Trusty and John Rowley are OFF of his legal team. Todd Blanche will be taking over. Trusty was all over the news last night and even this morning defending Trump.”

Trump aide Walt Nauta indicted in classified documents case | CNN Politics

A 37-count indictment has been unsealed against Trump and his aide, not 7 counts as previously reported by NY Times.

CNBC - Trump charged with 37 counts in classified documents case, indictment says
  • * The criminal indictment against Donald Trump over his handling of classified government records was unsealed.
  • * The indictment was made public a day after Trump was charged in the case in U.S. District Court in Miami.
  • * Two of his lawyers resigned from representing him in the classified documents case, and in another pending federal criminal investigation for his efforts to overturn his loss in the 2020 presidential election.

CNN (live updates): "Classified documents contained information on US defense and nuclear capabilities, indictment says" "Trump showed classified documents to others on two occasions" "Trump suggested his lawyer 'hide or destroy documents' sought by subpoena, indictment says"

Remember all those times Trump lied about not taking nuclear documents? Fun times, fun times.

The Washington Post - Trump denied having nuclear secrets. The feds say he did.

The Guardian - Nuclear weapon secrets in the bathroom: five revelations from Trump’s unsealed indictment

37 federal + 34 NY counts = 71 current counts. He has yuge counts. The best criminal counts, you could say. So far.

READ: The latest federal Trump indictment (PDF)

Reuters - Trump pleads not guilty in federal documents case

Robert Costa, CBS News: "Per @GrahamKates, who was in the courtroom, Special Counsel Jack Smith closely watched Trump as Trump exited slowly at the end. He watched Trump glance at reporters sitting in the back. Smith never broke his stare at Trump, per Kates."

Judge allows E. Jean Carroll to amend her defamation lawsuit to seek more damages against Trump | CNN Politics

Scripps News - Fact-checking Trump's Bedminster speech following his arraignment
Trump falsely claimed the Presidential Records Act gave him the authority to retain the documents recovered from Mar-a-Lago.

Forbes - Mar-A-Lago Sought 380 Foreign Workers During Time Trump Had Access To Classified Documents

The Washington Post - Trump rejected lawyers’ efforts to avoid classified documents indictment
The former president was not interested in attempting to negotiate a settlement in the classified documents investigation

The Independent - [U.S. Attorney General] Merrick Garland defends Trump indictment and denies Biden administration involvement
‘I appointed (Jack) Smith [as investigator and prosector] because it underscores Justice Department’s commitment to independence and accountability’

People Magazine - [Failed Republican AZ Gubernatorial Candidate] Kari Lake Appears at Mar-a-Lago More than Melania Trump and 'Practically Lives' in a Suite (Exclusive Source)
Lake's frequent appearances at Mar-a-Lago this past season came months after sources told PEOPLE that she has been vying for the role of Trump's running mate

NPR - After indictment, majority want Trump to drop out, but he's getting stronger with GOP

Gizmodo - Jan. 6 rioter who electroshocked D.C. Officer Michael Fanone sentenced to 12.5 years

NBC News - InfoWars host Owen Shroyer pleads guilty in Jan. 6 case
Shroyer, who was accompanied by InfoWars founder Alex Jones at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, admitted that he unlawfully entered and remained on restricted grounds.

Exclusive: Special counsel trades immunity for fake elector testimony as Jan 6 probe heats up | CNN Politics

USA Today - Donald Trump supports national abortion restrictions in new speech

NBC News - Five or six Secret Service agents have testified before Jan. 6 grand jury, sources say
It is not known what the agents’ proximity to Trump was on Jan. 6 or what information they may have provided to the grand jury.

NY Times - Former Trump Campaign Official in Talks to Cooperate in Jan. 6 Inquiry
The office of the special counsel is negotiating with Michael Roman, who was closely involved in the efforts to create slates of pro-Trump electors in states won in 2020 by Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Scripps News - Senate report blasts FBI, DHS for not acting on Jan. 6 intel
Senate Democrats say it was not a failure to obtain intel, but rather a failure to act on it that led to the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol insurrection.

Exclusive: [Trump personal lawyer] Rudy Giuliani interviewed in special counsel's 2020 election interference probe | CNN Politics

The Guardian - Trump valet arraignment delayed after losing Florida lawyer over fees dispute

USA Today - Donald Trump threatens to skip 2024 GOP debate over Fox News coverage

Scripps News - Supreme Court rejects 'independent state legislature' theory
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled against North Carolina Republicans who claimed the legislature has the final say over administering elections.

USA Today - Supreme Court rejects GOP call for unchecked power for state legislatures in US elections
In a win for voting rights groups, the court rejected the North Carolina GOP argument that state lawmakers should have extraordinary powers over election rules.

See also: Moore v. Harper - Wikipedia

Politico - How the Supreme Court’s decision on election law [in Moore v Harper] could shut the door on future fake electors

USA Today - Donald Trump says more indictments are possible at 2024 campaign stop

NBC News - House Republicans embark on a mission: Avenge Trump
They've punished his Democratic critics, probed prosecutors who charged him and set up a weaponization panel boosting his narrative. Now they want to “expunge” his impeachments.

Raw Story - Ex-staffer describes Trump fantasizing about sex with Ivanka
"Aides said he talked about Ivanka Trump's breasts, her backside, and what it might be like to have sex with her, remarks that once led (former Chief of Staff) John Kelly to remind the president that Ivanka was his daughter," Taylor writes.

"Afterward, Kelly retold that story to me in visible disgust. Trump, he said, was 'a very, very evil man.'"