The End of Trumpocalypse: TBD!

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Bacon wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 4:59 pm
I hate how much of this thread has become the same couple people reporting statistics and condemning current events, while the majority of people stay silent or avoid the conversation. I've been talking to some people on here about this kind of thing through other, more personal means of contact, but I still hate how the discussion seems to have completely disappeared as more and more police brutality occurs.
10th posted.
Vader182 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:10 pm
Activism is a marathon, not a sprint.

-Vader
This. Exactly.

I'm not sure you took my correct meaning. I'm saying activism isn't about outrage at every statistic or new viral video of police brutality. Yes, you should stay informed. Yes, you should witness. And listen. And yes, you should act.

But nobody's mental health improves by absorbing every bit of toxic info out there.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:21 pm
I'm not sure you took my correct meaning. I'm saying activism isn't about outrage at every statistic or new viral video of police brutality. Yes, you should stay informed. Yes, you should witness. And listen. And yes, you should act.

But nobody's mental health improves by absorbing every bit of toxic info out there.

-Vader
I'm not saying they have to. I'm saying the majority of the talk during all this has just been statistics and videos (Magnar, you rule, but it can kind of detract from what's going on to post a random tweet in the middle of a discussion). I've contributed to it and don't think that's wrong, but the actual discussion in general seems to have disappeared. It's not a huge deal because the discussion is pretty active elsewhere, and I'm speaking with a few members about it on a person to person basis as well, but this is one of the few communities I'm a part of with a strong international group that have unique perspectives on what's going on rather than being in the middle of it all.

Having friends protest recently and get mistreated by police has continued to drive me to be more vocal, so I'm biased but I'd still like to see more people speaking out about the things they're seeing and feeling.

It's definitely important to keep the discussion going because the problem with the police are not just going to go way overnight. For instance, the secret police in Washington who claim to be with the DOJ are just the latest example of why oversight and accountability are absolutely necessary.

Bacon wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:40 pm
Vader182 wrote:
June 4th, 2020, 5:21 pm

-Vader
I'm not saying they have to. I'm saying the majority of the talk during all this has just been statistics and videos (Magnar, you rule, but it can kind of detract from what's going on to post a random tweet in the middle of a discussion). I've contributed to it and don't think that's wrong, but the actual discussion in general seems to have disappeared. It's not a huge deal because the discussion is pretty active elsewhere, and I'm speaking with a few members about it on a person to person basis as well, but this is one of the few communities I'm a part of with a strong international group that have unique perspectives on what's going on rather than being in the middle of it all.

Having friends protest recently and get mistreated by police has continued to drive me to be more vocal, so I'm biased but I'd still like to see more people speaking out about the things they're seeing and feeling.
You got to understand Bacon that not everybody reacts to this sort of thing the same way. After corona, hell - in most places still - in the midsts of pandemic, economic crash, uncertain future etc. etc. some people just like to get back to their own little realities and checkbox problems one by one.

If you want to help, continue spreading awarenes not just while this lasts, but throughout your life. Donate if and when you can, and to places that are guaranteed to get that money to where it belongs.

People posting or not posting here, and the method...that's truly irrelevant. Everybody has their own style and way. I appreciate Magnar's thoroughness but I could never do that, just don't have the time or the energy.

Keeping the discussion alive is definitely difficult when we only have so few people engaging in it already. I don’t think we have many POC members here, or at least ones who would be interested in sharing their persepctives about any of this.

So I just read these and similar threads and I ask myself what more can I even say. I don’t even think, in comparison to those who are actually going through it, that my opinion even matters that much, since I’m non American and white. We would really benefit from more people using this place not for baiting and trolling but for more real discussions. Because at this point Vader’s point is imo really accurate, and personally, I’m just depressing myself on a daily basis (more than I usually am) and I still don’t have much to contribute other than my outrage and anger. I know it’s nothing compared to living your life with systemic racism everywhere you turn, but I also doubt this would make the conversation any more productive.

Ruth wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 5:20 am
Keeping the discussion alive is definitely difficult when we only have so few people engaging in it already. I don’t think we have many POC members here, or at least ones who would be interested in sharing their persepctives about any of this.

So I just read these and similar threads and I ask myself what more can I even say. I don’t even think, in comparison to those who are actually going through it, that my opinion even matters that much, since I’m non American and white. We would really benefit from more people using this place not for baiting and trolling but for more real discussions. Because at this point Vader’s point is imo really accurate, and personally, I’m just depressing myself on a daily basis (more than I usually am) and I still don’t have much to contribute other than my outrage and anger. I know it’s nothing compared to living your life with systemic racism everywhere you turn, but I also doubt this would make the conversation any more productive.
Nailed it.

I'm also white, European and non American. The feeling of rage that I get from absorbing the news on a daily basis is nothing compared to folks who live it and breath it right now.

Ruth wrote:
June 5th, 2020, 5:20 am
So I just read these and similar threads and I ask myself what more can I even say. I don’t even think, in comparison to those who are actually going through it, that my opinion even matters that much, since I’m non American and white.
Pretty much, yeah. I'd prefer to listen at this point than to say something, especially if we have some black members on this forum and to hear their perspective.

Also, I'd suggest if you want to continue a "discussion", let people voice their opinions. Don't make it a bubble of identical viewpoints by ganging up on different opinions, especially by insinuating something that hasn't been said. As much as I think everyone here condemns racial injustice, there's a lot of moving pieces here that people can have varied opinions on, like riots, police or especially protesting during the pandemic. Law had a different perspective and it went as well as I imagined it could have around here but still, I'm not sure if he wants to add anything more here.

In addition to my fellow Europeans; @Bacon: the fact that you want discussion and think sudden tweets in between posts stand in the way of discussion; let him post what he wants. Don't forget that that's what the quote button is for, even if there are other discussions/posts in between the one you're having with someone else, there is place for someone or several people posting tweets or links.