The End of Trumpocalypse: TBD!

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
I get people are frustrated with how police treats black people but how is looting helping in this situation? Or is it now about the lack of government support and harsh economic conditions in the US? Which one is it?

And I get large shopping malls are going to survive this, I have little sympathy for them. But the looters are not going to win over any new support for the cause by doing that (Also, looting large malls is one thing but local corner stores is another. That's just being shitty).

I'm not saying that people shouldn't protest. My point is actually totally different. They should. But do it in an organized way or otherwise you're like the Joker movie - you're rebelling but what are you rebelling about, really? Occupy the police station, occupy the court, occupy the White House (how has this not happened yet in the US is beyond me) but don't do stupid things that lose support for your cause instead of gaining it. I would want a change in how your justice system works, I definitely would want that clown out of the office but this has the exact opposite effect and that's why it's so frustrating.

Again, I'm on the same side as the people who are angry about what happened. It was horrible and it should be stopped. That's not how you do it, though.

de-escalating a situation ≠ solving it

the thing is that i don’t think the oppressed should work to get the approval of their oppressors. as in, why should they ever want the sympathy of those who weren’t and who would very likely not sympathize with them in the first place?

i get the idea of not wanting this stuff to happen because it will make people get hated even more, and i agree, it sucks, but if you are hated for so many years and stripped of the opportunity to have a voice that would be heard, and almost all of your attempts at *peaceful* forms of protest were ignored or failed, then I am just not surprised any of this would happen. A riot is the language of the unheard. It is not the responsibility of black people to work in favor of finding more allies or support. It’s up to us to be better at providing it no matter the consequences.

LelekPL wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 12:36 pm
I get people are frustrated with how police treats black people but how is looting helping in this situation? Or is it now about the lack of government support and harsh economic conditions in the US? Which one is it?

And I get large shopping malls are going to survive this, I have little sympathy for them. But the looters are not going to win over any new support for the cause by doing that (Also, looting large malls is one thing but local corner stores is another. That's just being shitty).

I'm not saying that people shouldn't protest. My point is actually totally different. They should. But do it in an organized way or otherwise you're like the Joker movie - you're rebelling but what are you rebelling about, really? Occupy the police station, occupy the court, occupy the White House (how has this not happened yet in the US is beyond me) but don't do stupid things that lose support for your cause instead of gaining it. I would want a change in how your justice system works, I definitely would want that clown out of the office but this has the exact opposite effect and that's why it's so frustrating.

Again, I'm on the same side as the people who are angry about what happened. It was horrible and it should be stopped. That's not how you do it, though.
the protests were peaceful until police repeatedly antagonized them and brought out water hoses

-Vader

It's really curious seeing when people decide to speak up about these sort of things.

If you're not being vocal about a cop putting a knee on a man's neck for ~9 minutes, but you're vocal when protests turn to riots — it doesn't matter how many "what the cops did was wrong but" you try to pepper into to your statement — you really oughta reevaluate your priorities.

We need justice for George Floyd ✊

But those pesky rioters ought to behave though

How about we don't put protesters who are rightfully there to stand against a corrupt system, in the same basket as opportunist looters, in the first place. Something to consider.

Master Virgo wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 7:01 pm
How about we don't put protesters who are rightfully there to stand against a corrupted system, in the same basket as opportunist looters, in the first place. Something to consider.
There's some major hypocrisy in some relying on the infamous "bad apples" stuff when it comes to defending police, but deny the faintest possibility not all protestors have the same values, or behaviors, when it comes to how to protest.

"The riot is the language of the unheard." - MLK

-Vader

Forum Pro
Law
I believe most of you know I'm a police officer, if you didn't know, now you do. Trust me when I say this, everyone I work with, everyone I've worked with, everyone I went to the academy with, is against what the murderous police force in Minnesota did. I don't need to repeat what happened, and I don't need to tell you what should have happened. You all know.. we all know (PD's). A handful of "cops" made the entire police force in the country look bad.. again. It keeps happening, and as history shows it will probably keep happening. I came on when Michael Brown was killed.. so I joined the police force when, like the past 3 days, an entire city was on fire.

I've been a cop for six years and people always ask the same question, "why?". My career goal, if I make it to the end, is to help people. I do help people, I go on thousands of calls a year helping people. You don't hear about that, and you shouldn't, because like nurses/doctors/physicians, it's in my job description to do just that. So, while yes there are thousands of terrible, shitty, pieces of shit racist cops in America, there is also tens of thousands of good men and women who signed up for the same reasons I did. I'm against police brutality just like you. Law out.

Law wrote:
May 29th, 2020, 8:11 pm
I believe most of you know I'm a police officer, if you didn't know, now you do. Trust me when I say this, everyone I work with, everyone I've worked with, everyone I went to the academy with, is against what the murderous police force in Minnesota did. I don't need to repeat what happened, and I don't need to tell you what should have happened. You all know.. we all know (PD's). A handful of "cops" made the entire police force in the country look bad.. again. It keeps happening, and as history shows it will probably keep happening. I came on when Michael Brown was killed.. so I joined the police force when, like the past 3 days, an entire city was on fire.

I've been a cop for six years and people always ask the same question, "why?". My career goal, if I make it to the end, is to help people. I do help people, I go on thousands of calls a year helping people. You don't hear about that, and you shouldn't, because like nurses/doctors/physicians, it's in my job description to do just that. So, while yes there are thousands of terrible, shitty, pieces of shit racist cops in America, there is also tens of thousands of good men and women who signed up for the same reasons I did. I'm against police brutality just like you. Law out.
Thank you for this.

It means a lot.