Terrorism Discussion Thread

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
After what happened in Christchurch today, I want to remind everybody of what Jon Stewart said back in 2015 after the shootings in Charleston after a white supremacist attempted to start a race war by murdering 9 African Americans in a church. These words will never become irrelevant because we have become conditioned to seeing the ritual of inaction after terror strikes, and just like what Stewart said then, I'm confident now in knowing there won't be any change. Politicians will act sympathetic for the victims, but will continue to push forward bills and policies that will help perpetuate systemic racism and Islamaphobia. This happened so close to home for me where it does not happen, so I can only imagine what it must feel like to be somewhere like the US where it's considered the norm. Nothing scares me more than seeing this becoming the norm for the world.

Just came back home to find out about this.

49 people dead... I just can’t anymore.

I just wonder sometimes what the fuck is wrong with this world and also the people who say shitty insensitive things about these kind of tragedies.

I'm so sick of this bullshit dude. Things are getting markedly worse all over the world.

In his manifesto, the shooter cited Candace Owens as being one of the people who radicalized him.

Candace doubled down on Twitter and said she will sue anyone who tries to blame her for this.

I'm not surprised at her defensiveness but it saddens me that she didn't even think about taking some time to reflect. Her thoughts and ideas inspired someone to carry out this kind of tragedy and her first instinct is to be defensive instead of thinking "wait...maybe my message is hurting people instead of helping people."

People like Candace, Charlie Kirk, Ben Shapiro, Lauren Southern, and more will just double down on their beliefs and deny whatever part they have in influencing these types of people.

Their words are dangerous and it's only going to get worse.

Owens tweeted “LOL!” when addressing the tragedy. She doesn’t care.

Also that piece of shit legit said “subscribe to pewdiepie” and signed off like he was doing a vlog.

BlairCo wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 7:05 am
After what happened in Christchurch today, I want to remind everybody of what Jon Stewart said back in 2015 after the shootings in Charleston after a white supremacist attempted to start a race war by murdering 9 African Americans in a church. These words will never become irrelevant because we have become conditioned to seeing the ritual of inaction after terror strikes, and just like what Stewart said then, I'm confident now in knowing there won't be any change. Politicians will act sympathetic for the victims, but will continue to push forward bills and policies that will help perpetuate systemic racism and Islamaphobia. This happened so close to home for me where it does not happen, so I can only imagine what it must feel like to be somewhere like the US where it's considered the norm. Nothing scares me more than seeing this becoming the norm for the world.

Great post.
One of my favourite books is The plague by Albert Camus. In the book, which was mostly written whilst France was occupied by Nazis, in one scene a character explains that he will never find peace anymore, now that he has understood that it is impossible to say a word without risking to kill anyone. Though mostly referring to death penalty, which at the time was still legal in France, Camus is describing a complex world in which death is a natural part. And we just accept it. Today, though many countries got rid of death penalty, we all are part of a system in which death is accepted, by this I mean that we perpetuate a system that in the end is the world system in which children in Yemen die. We live in a world that accept the death of these children, we perpetuate a system that allows children to die because they haven't eaten in weeks. It's not a call for a revolution, because revolutions are also violent, filled with murders, and anyway I don't have any answer to this shit... I have Camus's words: "with time, I simply noticed that even the best could not help killing or letting kill, because it was the logic of their world, and we couldn't do anything in this world without risking to kill someone. Yes, I kept feeling ashamed, I learnt that we all had the plague, and I lost peace. [...] What is natural is the plague. The rest, health, integrity, purety, is an effect of the will, a will that must never stop. " (I translated myself and the entire passage (Tarrou s'monologue) is much longer, and some of the best pages ever written)

Near Paris two weeks ago, Nice last week, Vienna tonight... It is really hard to not despair these days.