Sexism

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
SomeFrenchToast wrote:
I don't think it's shallow to have looks standards, as long as it's not what you're exclusively seeking. It's perfectly acceptable. Looks count a lot for me - moreso because I'm aromantic and not looking for more than friendships (here looks don't count of course) and one-night stands (where they prevail).
Yeah, nothing wrong with having preferences. Like I'm not too picky about looks but I at least expect the guys that I want to date to look clean and hygienic.

In the video that Dodd posted, the guy in it is a pretty shallow asshole. I honestly never knew that men get called out for being shallow. Most of my friends are guys and they talk about actresses looks a lot and what not and never once have I personally called them shallow.

Also, I think it's fair to note that while women may talk about the standards that they want in their men, for the most part, they will not get the men that they want. I mean, let's face it, a lot of guys do not take care of themselves in terms of looks so women will usually have to settle. For men, they can get the woman that lives up to their standards since a lot of women take care of the way they look (and this could be because of media standards for women and because of the fact that even in childhood women are always told that their looks will define them.)

Overall, it is perfectly okay for both genders to have standards. What is not okay is being a dick about it.

akv1984 wrote: I mean, let's face it, a lot of guys do not take care of themselves in terms of looks so women will usually have to settle. For men, they can get the woman that lives up to their standards since a lot of women take care of the way they look
That's....wrong and stereotypical. Men do take care of themselves. And by taking care of yourself I don't necessarily mean, having your nails done three times a week or putting loads of makeup on your face lol.

Ruth wrote:
akv1984 wrote: I mean, let's face it, a lot of guys do not take care of themselves in terms of looks so women will usually have to settle. For men, they can get the woman that lives up to their standards since a lot of women take care of the way they look
That's....wrong and stereotypical. Men do take care of themselves. And by taking care of yourself I don't necessarily mean, having your nails done three times a week or putting loads of makeup on your face lol.
Thanks Ruth. As far as the whole "taking care of yourself" thing goes, I wouldn't in a million years expect a younger girlfriend with a near perfect ass if I didn't take damn good care of myself. I think both sexes are a bit delusional that they can get what they want in a partner without supplying that very same want to the partner in question.

http://vimeo.com/75538063 around 40min in Joe starts talking about MRA issues. Very informative.

Gets deep into discussion about just being a good human, and the human race uniting to be better and working towards equality for all, rather than this whole women vs. men narrative feminist scumbags have been pushing.

’Scientists have somehow missed definitions of gender in human beings,” states Dr. Makarand Fulzele. Insights gained from years of practice as surgeon makes him wonder if indeed we have overlooked facts staring in our face. Nature has a tendency to hide many secrets but at the same time it provides enough clues to unravel its mysteries. Dr. Fulzele picks up loose threads from life to stitch together the theory that man is an extension of woman in his new book, “Man Is the Extension of Woman: Know the Ultimate Truth about Yourself” (published by iUniverse). Dr. Fulzele’s book explores similarities between men and women against the backdrop of their genetic differences, physical variations, and emotional and intellectual dissimilarities. Dr. Fulzele who is a successful surgeon further explains in his book: The main hypothesis I discuss in this book is that, if a woman lives long enough she will be converted into a man physically. A similar thing can also be stated about man. It is wrong to categorize humankind into two genders as it implicates that they are extremely dissimilar and physically opposite to each other. I try to prove that man and woman are just two different stages of one developmental process. And physically they are very similar. The ideas presented may sound unconventional but Dr. Fulzele implores readers to consider his point of view with an open mind. “Your world will not change if you do not agree with me. But if you agree with me, how does it change your world? If more people agree with you and me, how does it change our world? The possibilities are limitless.”

I agree, most men do take care of themselves these days, but initially brutality and manliness (things that girls
look for in a man) are connected with a little bit of messiness. Being supercautious about the look is simply not manly.

Marguerite wrote:but initially brutality and manliness (things that girls look for in a man)
Stereotyyyyypes

Marguerite wrote:I agree, most men do take care of themselves these days, but initially brutality and manliness (things that girls
look for in a man) are connected with a little bit of messiness. Being supercautious about the look is simply not manly.
I've honestly just stopped caring about that shit and focus more on being a better person in general. I mean I take care of myself, I remain presentable at work and in public, of course, but obsession about this is just pointless. Specifically enhancing your "manliness" to attract others or searching for "manly qualities" in others seems rather shallow to me (same thing with feminine qualities). I mean shit, do what you want, but reducing sexual attraction or self-image to those levels seems dumb.

inb4 Vader