Palastine-Israel Issue: Why America supports Israel ???

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
Skyab23 wrote:I yearn for the day when we can move forward as a species and dispose of these thousands years old fairy tales we call religion, that always causes more killings and the oppression of people as time progresses. Science and critical thinking have advanced man far further than religion ever will, and I have hope that my generation (the millenials) will continue to distance themselves from the wool that continously is being placed over their eyes by religious zealots.
:lol:

RIFA wrote:
Skyab23 wrote:I yearn for the day when we can move forward as a species and dispose of these thousands years old fairy tales we call religion, that always causes more killings and the oppression of people as time progresses. Science and critical thinking have advanced man far further than religion ever will, and I have hope that my generation (the millenials) will continue to distance themselves from the wool that continously is being placed over their eyes by religious zealots.

Of course you're religious RIFA, of course. That explains your incoherent views on foreign policy. Critical thinking and deduction are likely lost on you. I presume you're religious based off that response. You keep believing in fairy tales and men walking on water and raising the dead. By the way, is there one thing in any of the major religious texts that science can prove? Does it mention gravity or carbon dating, or the alternating current, ANYTHING that is substantive? I'll answer, no it does not. Instead, every thing it does propose is a direct contradiction to natural law.

Progress has nothing to do with science at all, but with a culture of open information and an acceptance of peer criticism. There is nothing to point at and say "this is science. This is the reason why we are advanced". People have been doing science since the beginning of time. The man who first found out how to make fire from sticks did science. This is an extremely basic human intuition, and not a fixed set of criteria that will bring about human salvation.

In modern times, these facets of common sense have been lumped into a catch-all term of science, and then propped up as a competitor with religion. Whenever someone mocks religion as anti-scientific or whenever you see a meme "Science put a man on the moon. Religion killed a baby last night" or whatever - they are implicitly placing the two as competing dogmas, portraying one as the ignorant choice and the other as the rational choice, as if they are mutually exclusive and one must choose between them.

All they're doing is restoring a psychological state of certainty to their lives, by replacing the name of the thing that will "set it all right”. So they have some crisis with abrahamic religions, and then restore their sense of certainty by adopting 'scientism' as the anchor or pin that they place their faith on as the thing that will set it all right. This is why their cognitive process is no different from the Muslim who yells "Islam is the solution". For them, "science is the solution”, in the very worst ways described by Habermas or Weber, or the philosopher Susan Haak.

Skyab23 wrote:
RIFA wrote:

Of course you're religious RIFA, of course. That explains your incoherent views on foreign policy. Critical thinking and deduction are likely lost on you. I presume you're religious based off that response. You keep believing in fairy tales and men walking on water and raising the dead. By the way, is there one thing in any of the major religious texts that science can prove? Does it mention gravity or carbon dating, or the alternating current, ANYTHING that is substantive? I'll answer, no it does not. Instead, every thing it does propose is a direct contradiction to natural law.
You're so lucky I'm not in a mood to argue. I'm just gonna say that you made me laugh today.

cooldude wrote:Progress has nothing to do with science at all, but with a culture of open information and an acceptance of peer criticism. There is nothing to point at and say "this is science. This is the reason why we are advanced". People have been doing science since the beginning of time. The man who first found out how to make fire from sticks did science. This is an extremely basic human intuition, and not a fixed set of criteria that will bring about human salvation.

In modern times, these facets of common sense have been lumped into a catch-all term of science, and then propped up as a competitor with religion. Whenever someone mocks religion as anti-scientific or whenever you see a meme "Science put a man on the moon. Religion killed a baby last night" or whatever - they are implicitly placing the two as competing dogmas, portraying one as the ignorant choice and the other as the rational choice, as if they are mutually exclusive and one must choose between them.

All they're doing is restoring a psychological state of certainty to their lives, by replacing the name of the thing that will "set it all right”. So they have some crisis with abrahamic religions, and then restore their sense of certainty by adopting 'scientism' as the anchor or pin that they place their faith on as the thing that will set it all right. This is why their cognitive process is no different from the Muslim who yells "Islam is the solution". For them, "science is the solution”, in the very worst ways described by Habermas or Weber, or the philosopher Susan Haak.

Well I hope the ICC will look at the situation more closely as the PLO is aiming to be a member of the International Criminal Court. You'd have to be a fool or evil to deny that what happened in Gaza last summer looked like ethnic cleansing, war crimes and/or crimes against humanity.

Well said. :clap:
Batfan175 wrote:You'd have to be a fool or evil to deny that what happened in Gaza last summer looked like ethnic cleansing, war crimes and/or crimes against humanity.
On the contrary. General Dempsey disagrees as well:
General Martin Dempsey stated “that Israel went to extraordinary lengths to limit … civilian casualties” in the Gaza operation. In fact, Dempsey said, the Pentagon sent a team to learn what it could from Israel’s operations, including lessons about how to limit civilian casualties.
source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volo ... s-in-gaza/

So, please. Let's cut the ethnic cleansing and crimes against humanity horse shit, shall we?

Why do you suppose they hate them? It's not just for the sake of hating someone, it's a long history between the two, with Israel having taken land, enforced blockades and negatively impacting the lives of many generations of Palestinians.