Shooting At Colorado TDKR Screening

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
This is just awful.

Seriously America, you gotta stop selling guns in freaking Walmarts!!!!

this is horrible

Mahiya_Borden wrote:This is just awful.

Seriously America, you gotta stop selling guns in freaking Walmarts!!!!
Agreed. Guns don't kill people--people WHO ARE ABLE TO BUY WAY TOO MANY GUNS kill people.

If James Madison and Thomas Jefferson were alive today and saw what was being excused in the name of the Second Amendment, they would never stop throwing up.

JMan wrote:A crazy man with guns. The injured and the dead must be remembered, helped, and mourned.

But if you hear any political bloviator today--left, right, center--use "The Dark Knight Rises" as an example of our nation's "violent culture," tell 'em:
1) It's PG-13.
2) Batman doesn't use guns.
3) The bad guys have more guns than the cops.
4) The film is anti-terrorism/anti-anarchy.
4) He/she is a bloviating idiot.
But it's too soon. Let's wait some days before any political messages.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

horrific.

didich wrote:
JMan wrote:A crazy man with guns. The injured and the dead must be remembered, helped, and mourned.

But if you hear any political bloviator today--left, right, center--use "The Dark Knight Rises" as an example of our nation's "violent culture," tell 'em:
1) It's PG-13.
2) Batman doesn't use guns.
3) The bad guys have more guns than the cops.
4) The film is anti-terrorism/anti-anarchy.
4) He/she is a bloviating idiot.
I agree. My point was that people who saw and appreciated the film will know it's too soon.

But I'm sadly sure that some political media hack (Fox or MSNBC, although I'll admit I'm an MSNBC fan) is going to use the film wrongly to make a stupid non-TDKR political point.

I love the fact that TDKR could be used to discuss issues of politics (the individual vs. society, totalitarianism vs. order) as well as issues of the heart (how can one overcome fear, how/why one chooses to act, the fact that Selina Kyle is hot on every physical and metaphysical plane possible).

I guess I've watched too much political discussions on TV to think that some political bloviators won't try to misrepresent TDKR for their own purposes.

My heart goes out to anyone who lost their child in this tragedy. They are in no way responsible for what happened. That said, why would anyone bring an infant and/or a 5 year old child to see this movie? No one that age has any business seeing this movie. Either get a babysitter, or wait til its more convenient or just dont see the damn movie. Its a small sacrifice to make. And a midnight showing? WTF?! Again, this is more of a general comment, but I'm always surprised when I see small children watching violent movies. I actually sat next to a toddler while watching Savages. Absurd.

JMan wrote:
didich wrote:
I agree. My point was that people who saw and appreciated the film will know it's too soon.

But I'm sadly sure that some political media hack (Fox or MSNBC, although I'll admit I'm an MSNBC fan) is going to use the film wrongly to make a stupid non-TDKR political point.

I love the fact that TDKR could be used to discuss issues of politics (the individual vs. society, totalitarianism vs. order) as well as issues of the heart (how can one overcome fear, how/why one chooses to act, the fact that Selina Kyle is hot on every physical and metaphysical plane possible).

I guess I've watched too much political discussions on TV to think that some political bloviators won't try to misrepresent TDKR for their own purposes.
I agree with everything you said.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

President Obama has just released a statement:
Michelle and I are shocked and saddened by the horrific and tragic shooting in Colorado. Federal and local law enforcement are still responding, and my Administration will do everything that we can to support the people of Aurora in this extraordinarily difficult time. We are committed to bringing whoever was responsible to justice, ensuring the safety of our people, and caring for those who have been wounded. As we do when confronted by moments of darkness and challenge, we must now come together as one American family. All of us must have the people of Aurora in our thoughts and prayers as they confront the loss of family, friends, and neighbors, and we must stand together with them in the challenging hours and days to come.
Why someone would do this is beyond me, but as everyone has said, my heart goes out to everyone who has lost family members who have not been able to fully complete their lives.

Zez
Wow. Prayer go out to the victims and their families. Such a tragedy on what should be a time for celebration. I hope this shooter is brought to justice.

Side note: I wonder if Nolan will make a statement...

:neutral: