Hannibal (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Going to check this out for Mads Mikkelsen. Fantastic actor.
Just a fan...

Saw 1st episode. This is spoiler free.

Wow. Just. I'm so happy this is turning out to be solid. I really wanted this to be good because of Mads but it's good for other reasons as well.

The investigation process, while following most possible preestablished tv-show routes, maintains more than a certain decency at that and manages to be somewhat creative. At a point I feared this has a very high risk of becoming tiresome and overused, but so far it seems to work for the show completely. RIFA pointed out this would've worked great if it was korean/japanese cinema and it certainly seems so, so I wonder if they were influenced in some way. Point is, the show manages to be very very graphic but yet somehow monochromatic about it and seems to make it work without desensitizing you against what's going on. Especially at the end there's stuff happening that does succeed at shock value even after all the blood seen till that point.

Will Graham is very different from the Red Dragon rendition. He's very very insecure which is probably what makes him more interesting. Very neurotic and paranoid, troubled and traumatized, but in a surprisingly believeable way even if there's no reason given for that yet (and it'll surely be explored). This is obviously a part of the design of his relationship with Lecter, so that he'd feel intimidated, overpowered and even more insecure.

He's not completely powerless though, because he's also a lot smarter than the Graham from Red Dragon. A little unnaturally smart (insert most convenient 'genius mind'-tropes here). But wait till Lecter walks in... As expected he owns Graham. (Ofc the only bad thing so far is the thing common for all these kinds of shows which is exactly the genius mind thing, although it makes sense for the Hannibalverse a lot since he's the granddaddy of that stuff)

I wouldn't rate it, I'd just say it's surprisingly solid for its genre and makes good use of pretty much any tool that it's supposed to use. It's a crime show with a potential for a lot lot more. The Promo for next episode shows a ton of incredibly intriguing stuff (all under Prometheus' trailer music LOL) so excitement value is all there.

Strong start.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/aperitif,96075/

also spoiler free

this guy made great reviews of every sopranos episode, some on Mad Men, probably the wire too

not that this'll ever get close but the reviewer itself isn't some random guy

Also, from that review's comments thread:
It's almost hallucinogenic. And spare and mumbly and pretty much an indie movie at times.

And all the characters are weird, and they say weird things.
Wow. This sounds far, far better than I'd dared to hope.

Nice review Prince. I'm gonna try and check it out today, but your review makes me feel better about it.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

Amelia wrote:Also, from that review's comments thread:
It's almost hallucinogenic. And spare and mumbly and pretty much an indie movie at times.

And all the characters are weird, and they say weird things.
Wow. This sounds far, far better than I'd dared to hope.
Yeah, but that also risks melting point of wax with ray-ban vinyl folks.

Eh, I'll watch it.

-Vader

Well I gave it a shot, but this show has some issues. The problem with these issues is that they affect the show on a long term because they will become unbearable at one point and overwhelming. Yes, I said this show would have a nice face if it were korean. It's not korean, not in the tiniest way.

First of all, the show itself is a bit of everything, making it tough for the audience to decide on the show's identity and what it aims to do with it's plot and characters. It's Dexter meets Luther meets American Horror Story meets Supernatural meets X-Files meets Hannibal. A bit confusing? That's exactly what I'm saying.

Imma make this short because really going too much into it after it's first episode might be, like I said, too much.

The Cons:

- overconfident plot
- cliched and overdone story (there's nothing really new here)
- slow and almost non-existent character development outside the hero and the villain
- a bit over the top acting from the main character. sometimes mixed with stale moments. not a good combination. I'm sure he can do better tho. Maybe he'll evolve later on.
- almost supernatural investigation mind
- some convenient stuff which could be avoided
- unexplained details

The Pros:

- lawrence fishburne & mads
- good development of the narrative (even if not new)
- pretty good production value
- good sense of mystery
- imposing villain
- good dynamic between the two main characters
- good ending

Overall, this made a decent impression but I'm questioning it's future.

I'd give it a B+

You've seen several episodes right? I'm asking that since you say the issues affect the show on the long term.

Very impressed by the pilot otherwise, Dancy is giving one hell of a performance, Mads looks like he's going to be delightful, so understated. Production values through the roof, fantastic cinematography, not sure about the secondary characters (aside from Fishburne), have to see more, but right now, I only want to see Graham and Lecter. I have to say the feel of the show to me is quite intoxicating (in a good way ^^ ), there's a devilish charm about the whole thing.

Yeah the devilish charm is all there and that cool promo enhanced it.

A B+ seems to be where it is. It kinda feels like B+/A- but B+ is more appropriate I guess. The pilot is pretty promising but still it took a safe route on a lot of stuff. I'm very happy it's promising tho. Can't wait till next one.

Fuck what night does it air? lol
Say Girl