[SPOILERS] Prometheus Theories Thread [SPOILERS]

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
This was taken from a comment I saw on another site, and I did a little research and everything seems to check out! :
To give some historical/mythological background that may shed some light, Ridley stated the SJ culture was based on Persian Myths. This would be Sumerian/Akkadian/Hindu. This is all taken from the Atra Hasis.

Creators - "G"ods- Annunaki - Dragon Humanoids (Naga, Dragon Kings,)

Helpers - "g"ods - Igigi - Engineers. (Android like living beings....BIOmechanical humanoid. Key features- Pale skin and large black eyes. Also known as watchers, Grigori, and Archons) (in many summerian texts they are actually referred to as "Pilots". Pretty much the Annunaki Air Force.)

When the Annunaki began terraforming the earth, they had the Igigi do the work for them. After a few thousand years the Igigi revolted and went on strike. The Annunaki then decided to create humans to do the work for them.

They sacrificed one of the rebel Igigi named Geshtu to use his blood and dna to make human beings, by mixing it with elements native to the earth.

(In the movie, this can be explained by the the different oval spaceship at the beginning representing the spaceship of the Annunaki)

(It can also be explained by the concept art that leaked from the official book this week)

(According to wikipedia it also says this about the Igigi: "Though sometimes synonymous with the term "Annunaki," in one myth the Igigi were the younger gods who were servants of the Annunaki, until they rebelled and were replaced by the creation of humans." This is reflectled exactly in the concept art below!)

Even though the humans were created and did the work, 1/3 of the Igigi still werent satisfied and sought revenge for Geshtu, so they rebelled again against the Annunaki Lords and began breeding/mixing with the human females creating Nephelim. This is what sparked the Prime Lord Enlil to flood the earth. Some humans were saved by Enki, the Lord responsible for the sacrifice of Geshtu and the creation of humans. Enlil and the rest of the annunaki decide to return home and let the humans develop on their own. Enki and his family stay behind. The Igigi are forced to leave earth as well. The remaining rebel Igigi are imprisoned on a planet on the way back to the homeworld and it is said as punishment and as a mark they are altered into a demonic appearance, no longer retaining the Angelic appearance.

Enki and his crew are probably the ones leaving the maps for humans to find, along with the ones helping humans advance throughout time.

The sacrfice engineer is Geshtu

The lone engineer is most likely Marduk or a servant/worshipper of Marduk.

The xeno is Mushussu, a creature Marduk fashioned and used as his pet.

The "Engineers" we see are trying to destroy Earth are of the Igigi rebels who view earth as their own. They have always despised humans because the Annunaki saw us as more in their likeness than them. IT's possible that the Igigi have long since destroyed or taken over the annunaki and the homeworld, and Earth was like going to claim the prize or spoils.

They mustve used to the Xeno's to win this war and through its perfection it has began to destroy and infect the Igigi who manufacture and transport it, creating more Mushussu.

the xeno in Alien is most likely an older pilot igigi birthed Mushussu egg crossed with human or a future Annunaki birthed one which would explain the size difference in hosts.

It is mentioned in several lesser stories that Marduk created the Mushussu out of using the essence of the Gods' (Annunaki) he killed as a symbol of his conquering and being able to control them... ie the mural.

Wow. :o

TheGreatDanton wrote:This was taken from a comment I saw on another site, and I did a little research and everything seems to check out! :
To give some historical/mythological background that may shed some light, Ridley stated the SJ culture was based on Persian Myths. This would be Sumerian/Akkadian/Hindu. This is all taken from the Atra Hasis.

Creators - "G"ods- Annunaki - Dragon Humanoids (Naga, Dragon Kings,)

Helpers - "g"ods - Igigi - Engineers. (Android like living beings....BIOmechanical humanoid. Key features- Pale skin and large black eyes. Also known as watchers, Grigori, and Archons) (in many summerian texts they are actually referred to as "Pilots". Pretty much the Annunaki Air Force.)

When the Annunaki began terraforming the earth, they had the Igigi do the work for them. After a few thousand years the Igigi revolted and went on strike. The Annunaki then decided to create humans to do the work for them.

They sacrificed one of the rebel Igigi named Geshtu to use his blood and dna to make human beings, by mixing it with elements native to the earth.

(In the movie, this can be explained by the the different oval spaceship at the beginning representing the spaceship of the Annunaki)

(It can also be explained by the concept art that leaked from the official book this week)

(According to wikipedia it also says this about the Igigi: "Though sometimes synonymous with the term "Annunaki," in one myth the Igigi were the younger gods who were servants of the Annunaki, until they rebelled and were replaced by the creation of humans." This is reflectled exactly in the concept art below!)

Even though the humans were created and did the work, 1/3 of the Igigi still werent satisfied and sought revenge for Geshtu, so they rebelled again against the Annunaki Lords and began breeding/mixing with the human females creating Nephelim. This is what sparked the Prime Lord Enlil to flood the earth. Some humans were saved by Enki, the Lord responsible for the sacrifice of Geshtu and the creation of humans. Enlil and the rest of the annunaki decide to return home and let the humans develop on their own. Enki and his family stay behind. The Igigi are forced to leave earth as well. The remaining rebel Igigi are imprisoned on a planet on the way back to the homeworld and it is said as punishment and as a mark they are altered into a demonic appearance, no longer retaining the Angelic appearance.

Enki and his crew are probably the ones leaving the maps for humans to find, along with the ones helping humans advance throughout time.

The sacrfice engineer is Geshtu

The lone engineer is most likely Marduk or a servant/worshipper of Marduk.

The xeno is Mushussu, a creature Marduk fashioned and used as his pet.

The "Engineers" we see are trying to destroy Earth are of the Igigi rebels who view earth as their own. They have always despised humans because the Annunaki saw us as more in their likeness than them. IT's possible that the Igigi have long since destroyed or taken over the annunaki and the homeworld, and Earth was like going to claim the prize or spoils.

They mustve used to the Xeno's to win this war and through its perfection it has began to destroy and infect the Igigi who manufacture and transport it, creating more Mushussu.

the xeno in Alien is most likely an older pilot igigi birthed Mushussu egg crossed with human or a future Annunaki birthed one which would explain the size difference in hosts.

It is mentioned in several lesser stories that Marduk created the Mushussu out of using the essence of the Gods' (Annunaki) he killed as a symbol of his conquering and being able to control them... ie the mural.

Wow. :o
a link to this is already in the first post of this thread, i told RIFA to put it there

this is why i always tell people to start from the beginning

Sorry. I have read many interesting theories and interpretations so far and that one has seriously caught my attention. I wish Ridley would have talked more about this prior to launching the film, instead of audiences thats already in the Ancient Aliens crazy world, can see right away all the different connections. The great thing is that its all connected in the film. Extremely well done, better than AVP 1 anyway =)

TheGreatDanton wrote:Sorry. I have read many interesting theories and interpretations so far and that one has seriously caught my attention.
Just go through everything in this thread before you post stuff, we've covered a lot of ground by now so it's very likely that things have already been pointed out.

I was just going through an interview and found an interesting excerpt.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/interv ... lywood-3d/

Well, I have to compliment the writers as well. They sort of crafted the whole new story and also introduced a number of new questions which can be thought out in many different ways, planted new pieces...

Scott: Well, I think what's pretty good about it is the fact that we don't... we tell enough but not too much. So, at the very end when she says to... David says to her, "I think I can find our way to go home." And she says, "Well, I don't want to go back to where I came from. I want to go where they came from." That is kind of in a funny kind of idealistic, simplistic storytelling in film terms, I think honestly, in the best sense. You don't want to elaborate any more than that. And then they're off and running, because it's taught by what I think is a terrific moment when she says, "Do you mind?" and she puts his head in the bag. She's never going to put his head on top of that body. Because when she does, he'll become deadly again.

I also like that point of humor at that point in the story. Then it ends with: "I'm still searching." You don't ask, "How is she going to live? She isn't going to sleep? What's she going to feed on? What's she going to drink?" You can get into all that, but that becomes Robinson Crusoe, that's another film.

How much did you edit this down? I recognized at least one scene in the trailer that I didn't see. I'm wondering if there was more to it, if it was a longer movie, if there are more of these questions that you're saying are in it that were answered but you made sure not to answer.

Scott: Longer scenes. They were longer... I mean fundamentally, they were longer scenes, and where we got in too deep... I think the running time... It's not so much the running time. It's the... fundamentally, you've got one hour introducing elements and everything and this and that before anything then significant physically kicks in. So I thought, "That's enough." Because in the original Alien there was 47 minutes where nothing happened until John Hurt looks into the egg and says, "I think..." And then you say, "Don't look in the egg!" And then it kicks off and starts into its own engine.

There's about an hour on this one. And I thought that was time enough. When you are philosophizing about the reason for life, faith, God, it's always tricky, because you don't want to get into long dissertations. And the trick of filming, which I think is really sort of wonderful about filming, you can actually have a conversation between a father and a daughter, and she says, "How do you know it's beautiful?" He says, "It's what I believe, Ellie. What do you believe?" And she looks off at this guy who is in her cyber-sleep that shouldn't be there. Then you are off and running. So now you know there's a person who fundamentally has faith in the hereafter, or certainly has faith in her maker, that she believes in God.

----------------------------------------------------

So is Ridley Scott implying that Shaw won't connect David's head to his body in the sequel? :eh:

David discovered he was quite powerful, but once his head came off he was obedient again.
I believe its safe to say that his head will be off in the sequel, Ridley's say or no :)

I really wish David had a chance to say, "The trick Mr ---- is not minding that it hurts", to someone in the film. Seemed like a missed opportunity after all the times he watched Lawrence of Arabia.

Hopefully, he'll get a chance to tell it to Shaw in the sequel. :ugeek:

oracle86 wrote:I really wish David had a chance to say, "The trick Mr ---- is not minding that it hurts", to someone in the film. Seemed like a missed opportunity after all the times he watched Lawrence of Arabia.

Hopefully, he'll get a chance to tell it to Shaw in the sequel. :ugeek:
Agreed. I feel there are many gaps missing with David in Prometheus. I may have to watch Lawrence of Arabia to check if there are anything else to find ;)

Harry says forget about ALIEN & ALIENS before going in to see PROMETHEUS, Ridley is up to something different!!!
Published at: Jun 02, 2012 11:43:04 PM CDT

SPOILER ALERT !!

Think about the title of the film PROMETHEUS.

Anywhere in there do you see the word ALIEN? The filmmakers have gone way out of their way to let us know that this is not an ALIEN prequel, but then we saw the ship from ALIEN and it was decided amongst a lot of film commentators that Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof were actively working to deceive us… but having seen the film and read the opening salvo from critics that seemed to carry ALIEN into the film, more than that though… I think folks have been carrying in the whole of the ALIEN mythology as they’ve come to know it via the sequels, comics and novels.

Well, Ridley has a different purpose for returning to science fiction. This isn’t a film where the flamethrowers are being used to fight biomechanical beasties coming out of solidified alien mucus sculpted walls. This isn’t a film that sets up ALIEN. The film isn’t set on LV-426. No ship in this film ends up on LV-426, nor are they headed there. There are no RIPLEY characters. This isn’t those movies.

For some, that’ll be a profound disappointment. To them, I can only weep for missing what is here. The movie they did actually make is absolutely wonderful, if you pay close attention. Don't look at friends, never take your eyes or attention from the screen. The master is playing.

I know – a basic nature of a geek is to compare and contrast. It’s how we classify and shelve our collections, we love playing what ifs with these films, but the reality is… sometimes we get so focused on the genre, the structure, the character arc types that we end up choking the love out of ourselves and the things that we used to be open to before we decided to be smug in the theater.

This film is a quest movie. One woman’s quest actually. Her name is Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and she’s searching for the answers to the biggest questions we flesh puppets have. Is Earth a miracle? Is it just the product of an all-powerful being that placed us here, gave us rules to live by and then abandoned us? Was that being magical or alien? Why do we exist? The meaning of our existence. This isn’t a woman thrust into an unexpected and unwanted situation. What she’s doing in this movie is exactly what she has dedicated her life to doing since her mother and father were taken from her as a girl. Answers to questions her father couldn’t answer. Pay attention to David’s dream monitoring, there’s answers in there too.

I’ve always found the search for these questions to lead to a lot of frustration, because the pursuit of those questions never ends in truth, but in beliefs. What we believe happened. That’s right now in the early 21st Century. If we found a cave with a star map to follow, it’d take more than any of our lifetimes to get a ship to take us there… But I wish intensely that humanity had that direct evidence of something out there for us to get to. We as a society, I feel, need to start moving out into the cosmos and stop fighting over the limited resources we have here.

PROMETHEUS is about this first mission into the stars with the express purpose of discovering our own origins here on Earth. In terms of Stardates, this is before Kirk & Spock & LBJ went to the God Planet in STAR TREK V. Remember, that didn’t work out well for folks. Like JJ’s STAR TREK, the tech of PROMETHEUS is relevant to today’s foreseeable tech. I like that. I love the evolution of Science Fiction and away from the green screen text of my youth. The reality is, the advancement of technology means that easily – upon a ship you could essentially have the whole of human civilization’s resources and history and knowledge to take with you on this journey across the universe.

This ship was built by Weyland with the intent of discovering the truth of our existence. Very noble for a company that seems to have a huge and significant monopoly, so far as we know, in Earth’s off planet enterprises. But the knowledge we would gain from these beings or whatever they’ve left behind… well that would be something really remarkable and valuable.

Very quickly we’re thrust into the journey of discovery.

The film begins with the initial seeding of the planet Earth, I believe. That’s how I took it. After that, we’re suddenly moved forward.

If you find yourself coming up with a LEAP OF LOGIC in the film, it’s probably due to you missing something. I’ve had friends that have hit me with a good 8 or 9 logic leaps and the answers are always right there on screen. If you pay attention. That means, don’t look at your friends with a cute face, you could miss the shot of the worms, which is a clue to what comes later. After the film opens domestically in the U.S. Feel free to send me questions on my Twitter and I’ll clarify to you what happened. Not because I’ve read the script, that shit was fake as fuck. However, whoever wrote it did have an awful lot of knowledge about the film. Way too many parallels.

Also – after watching the whole film – think about the story, don’t just circle up into bitching circles. Allow yourself to think about what you saw and think about what it means. THEN talk with your friends. Why do I love the hell out of this thing?

I haven’t been given any props, no posters, pins, no special screenings, never spoken to Ridley Scott – and generally I have a ton of nitpicks for Ridley. I think he usually over-edits his theatrical cuts, but here… I love the pacing. I love the cut from the cave to distant interstellar space, it reminds me of Robert Armstrong on the Beach at Skull Island pontificating about where they are all headed and then BAM! They’re there. Same here.

You don’t need to see them pitching Weyland. You don’t need to see years of development upon this ship. We know that Weyland spent a $1 Trillion making it. Gives you a clue about future inflation – or the exact holy fuck of the state of the art this ship is. Unlike in ALIEN, this isn’t a mining vessel. Unlike in ALIENS, this isn’t a military grunt ship. THIS is a team of scientists headed to a distant light in our sky, with the hopes of finding the origin of our species. They’re briefed on it. So are we. There’s Archeologists, Biologist, Geologist, Security, ship personnel, a Weyland high level executive and even more.

These are experts that the second they land, they're suiting up, because they didn't go faster than light for 2.5 years for nothing. They see a structure and they head for it.

The ship is in many ways – the most expensive lasting memory of a bigger than Steve Jobs Earth Personality. It is Weyland’s last dream to send this ship to the other side of the universe. Why? Well, what would you ask your creator? I sort of agree with Roy Batty’s answer to that question, and I think Weyland’s intentions were similar.

This film has a lot of symbolism, lots of FILL IN THE BLANKS situations where Ridley avoided needless exposition, when he could SHOW the answers, if you’re paying attention.

I’m so happy this isn’t a Bug Hunt film. This is very much what is going on with Kepler here on Earth and orbiting above us. We’re doing the surveying work that future generations will need when we move off this tiny blue dot for resources, answers and company in the universe. It is nothing that any living human today will probably see – but the great thing about scientists and innovators – they know what is needed for the future they foresee and they move in that direction.

At some point, we’re going to discover something out there. Then we’re going to head off in that direction. Whether it is a multigenerational mission or some sort of stasis chamber situation… there’s going to be bold missions. Ones that could end exactly as this does. Others that could end in a completely different fashion.

I no longer think of these notions as Science Fiction, but Science Eventuality. Ridley sees it. This is less ALIEN and frankly more of a corporate Star Fleet style mission. I went into this film having read interviews with Damon & Ridley. I read reviews. I was prepared to not see an ALIEN movie. For me, the notion that Ridley Scott has returned to the same universe, but a different planet, a different situation… That’s cool. I like that. I like that not a thing from this film ties to ALIEN directly. There’s no eggs, no classic Giger Biomech Alien. This is a different tale, perhaps the first Corporate Mission to discover the truth of our existence. Sure, it’s pure B-science fiction. The sort of things that used to be in WEIRD SCIENCE and INCREDIBLE SCIENCE-FICTION and WEIRD FANTASY comics of the EC variety.

It’s a modest proposal for an alternative origin of species. It is sacrilecious! At our screening we were told not to talk about two sequences. One is the best HOLY FUCK of the movie. The other is the last shot, which I felt was a pie in the face that should have been edited out. It is a terrible shot in my opinion and produces the worst reaction from the audience, which flavors the entire experience for some. That’s a shame, because other than that single shot… I can’t wait to return to this film. There’s a lot on this movie’s mind.

I would recommend not watching all 4 ALIEN films, I’d recommend not watching ALIEN before – nor immediately after. Get that series out of your head, that’s not what this film is about. This isn’t a prequel. It is a separate story decades before Ripley’s NOSTROMO journey. This is our first Science mission in a Weyland, not yet WEYLAND-YUTANI, universe. Can’t wait to take my sister to this, she’s gonna lose her mind for it.
:clap:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56178

Here's a question I've been wondering, I'm not sure if it's been asked but anyway.
What would have happened if the pre-facehugger thing impregnated Lisbeth Shawlander?
Would we get something close to our traditional xenomorph, or something completely different?

Also, everyone's assumed that the beginning of the film is just any random planet as opposed to Earth?
Just kind of like a, well demonstration isn't the right word but something like that.
Do you... like pineapple?