[SPOILERS] Prometheus Theories Thread [SPOILERS]

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
NoMoreDeadCops wrote:My friends and I (along with many others I've heard or read discussing the film) can't seem to figure out why the old man makeup approach was chosen for Pearce's character, Weyland. Pearce was great and IS always great in my opinion, but given that the awesome viral marketing clip of Pearce giving that awesome speech as Weyland was not present in the actual film, couldn't they have just gotten an actual, you know, old man to play old Weyland? I'm not criticizing the choice exactly (even though the old man makeup effects were glaringly less impressive than the rest of the movie's beautiful visuals) I'm just really curious as to whether or not anyone knows why this choice was made. It's one of the few nitpicks I had about the movie...okay that's not true I have a lot but it's one of the few that I can't seem to easily overlook. Thoughts?
The make up was great, it was just how it worked with the lighting that wasn't optimized completely. Here it looks very realistic, in the movie it wasn't always so. So I blame the lighting probably.

Other than that they were gonna cast Max Von Sydow for that role but I'm still glad they cast Pearce.

Old Guy Pearce was definitely the worst CGI in the whole movie. Everything else looked near perfect, and Guy Pearce face stood out like a sore thumb. I mean it wasn't horrible, much better than Benjamin Button, but still looked stupid.

ComptonTerry wrote:Old Guy Pearce was definitely the worst CGI in the whole movie. Everything else looked near perfect, and Guy Pearce face stood out like a sore thumb. I mean it wasn't horrible, much better than Benjamin Button, but still looked stupid.
it wasn't cgi....... did you look at the two huge photos above?

prince0gotham wrote:
ComptonTerry wrote:Old Guy Pearce was definitely the worst CGI in the whole movie. Everything else looked near perfect, and Guy Pearce face stood out like a sore thumb. I mean it wasn't horrible, much better than Benjamin Button, but still looked stupid.
it wasn't cgi....... did you look at the two huge photos above?
There was no CGI used at all? Looked like it to me, plus plenty of the reviews said. Oh well. It still looked out of place compared to the quality of everything else.

ComptonTerry wrote:
prince0gotham wrote: it wasn't cgi....... did you look at the two huge photos above?
There was no CGI used at all? Looked like it to me, plus plenty of the reviews said. Oh well. It still looked out of place compared to the quality of everything else.
Well if you look on the previous pages or just browse through this album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... ce=message

you'll see how much of it was just masterful use of plastic and costume design

they filmed the engineer in the intro with an actor in a costume then reconstructed it (see the short video on previous page) to create the decomposing effect

with weyland it was just a mask and it was very good actually but the lighting and the ambient occlusion in those shots kinda made it seem artificial, although i think most of that effect was created in the holo-message he gave in the beginning of the movie (I never liked how twitchy and nervous he was)

later on he gave a better performance and the make up looked better

even the hair, being held back, might've been a good choice, showing how vane he is even at that age

there was definitely something bad about his face in the third act of the movie but I too can't exactly explain what it was

the make up wasn't CGI tho, it might've been slightly enhanced, like pretty much anything else in the movie, but it wasn't CGI, I think they didn't have money for that

the whole thing reminded me of this

Dustin hoffman was around thirty when he played this role. The make up was done by the guy who made the make up for Vito Corleone. The beauty in this is the proper mix between somewhat realistic make up and the perfect performance from under that make up. The proper old-man voice (he shouted for 2 hours in an empty room to get that voice) and the manneurisms. I saw that in Pearce.

You're defending the quality of the makeup but not telling me why the makeup choice was made over an actual old guy like, as you mentioned, Max Von Sydow...who would have destroyed in the movie if he was in it in my opinion. Would have been perfect casting.

NoMoreDeadCops wrote:You're defending the quality of the makeup but not telling me why the makeup choice was made over an actual old guy like, as you mentioned, Max Von Sydow...who would have destroyed in the movie if he was in it in my opinion. Would have been perfect casting.
I'm not telling you because I don't know. I still haven't heard Ridley giving us an explanation about it. That's why I can guess that he thought that he still wanted Guy exactly because he nailed Weyland perfectly in the virals and that he could always bring some of that into Prometheus with less effort than Max. I mean Max would've pulled it off ofc, but there would've been more of a difference between him and young Weyland that could've been confusing. I guess he didn't want confusion. He wanted the same voice, the same passion Pearce imprinted into his performance as Weyland. Also, Max could've declined the role. I'm not sure. I'm more than satisfied with it anyway and I don't mind at all.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me much. It has little affect of my opinion on the film as a whole. I say the make up job was good but it still wasn't as good as everything else looked. I don't totally get the point of casting Guy Pearce into the role, but he did do a good job acting wise so whatever.

ComptonTerry wrote:Honestly, it doesn't bother me much. It has little affect of my opinion on the film as a whole. I say the make up job was good but it still wasn't as good as everything else looked. I don't totally get the point of casting Guy Pearce into the role, but he did do a good job acting wise so whatever.
Pretty much where I stand too. I was just really curious I guess. :P

It's funny how Roy Batty wanted longer life from Tyrell, pretty much how Weyland wanted longer life from the engineer. Both Tyrell and Weyland received strong head damage by their creation.