[SPOILERS] Prometheus Theories Thread [SPOILERS]

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Mason let the guy stay all close to science while talking about faith and mythology and it's importance and fantasize about me or prince going "all religious" on him. :lol: His last posts would make Neil Tyson facepalm.

I agree with prince 100%. Not because I'm religious (which I think I told you specifically for like 100 times on here) but because it makes god damn sense.
Last edited by RIFA on June 15th, 2012, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ressurection wrote:
prince0gotham wrote: tykjen you're an idiot

even with the truth in mind wtf

WHAT TRUTH????

SHAW DOESN'T KNOW THE TRUTH

NOT YET

THAT'S THE FUCKING POINT

FAITH IS WHAT SEPARATED HER FROM THE FUCKING ANDROID AND BY SAYING FAITH SUCKS YOU'RE TAKING SIDE WITH THE ANDROID

DO YOU FUCKING UNDERSTAND THAT???
The whole purpose of them being on LV-223 is ONE truth: Human DNA is the same as the Engineers. They created us. Is that truth not important enough?

Was I talking about the ultimate truth of the cosmos? Jesus..calm down. Do not lower yourself down to RIFA's level.
Don't involve the rifa argument into this.

They were not sure, before they saw the matching DNA, that those things created us. They were not sure that there were 'things' there at all. It was a theory. You need faith and emotional attachment to a theory to believe in it, to let it become your purpose and to let it drive you to it. It wasn't truth YET.

How do you not see the stages and phases of coming to the truth?

And when they found out we were created by engineers they had enough reason to not WANT to know the purpose. Shaw had enough reason to not WANT to struggle for survival, just because it was easier to just die in her own sorrow. How was the simple KNOWING of the fact that there's TRUTH somewhere out there the only reason to give her enough of a motive? IT WASN'T!!

SHE NEEDED FAITH.

Why did you avoid what I said about how the movie makes a point of how FAITH is what separated her from David?

Mason wrote:
Ressurection wrote:Do not lower yourself down to RIFA's level. Never thoght youd go all religious and RIFA at me in one go, and in CAPS!!! Wow...
It's hilarious how you keep contradicting yourself on this board, and I'm not speaking specifically. Cut down on the weed.
Ill have to be first to say I never explicitly told POG what the film was about. Certainly not in CAPS. I told about what it showed me personally. And Prometheus showed a lot without telling. I told the thread what the point of the movie was to me; I saw the creation of man being the destruction of its creators. Like machine vs man. And I saw the lack of purpose clearly, as the DAVID vs Holloway conversation is the one that got stuck in my mind. Holloway was indeed arrogant, and a nice face for humanity.

I wont bother to answer rifa again ever as that has been my biggest mistake here :P I guess the same must go for POG..and he used to be such a reasonable guy, loving Sopranos and all. :cry:

I must only hope that the extended edition sheds a lot of light..

Language causes abstract thinking, it's what seperates humanity from the animals, and in the film, abstract thinking seperates us from androids too.

This abstract thinking is what caused humanity forever to search for answers, to search for something more than what they see. Inspiration, faith. To look at a statue and truly believe it's a God to worship.
Even when we think we have the answers, it's not enough. We'll always look for more. It doesn't have to be religion vs. evolution. It can be ghosts, or anything people choose to believe in.

This film is 100% about the search for faith, the need of it. The creation of Mythologies and how we can't do without them.

Ressurection wrote:
Mason wrote: It's hilarious how you keep contradicting yourself on this board, and I'm not speaking specifically. Cut down on the weed.
Ill have to be first to say I never explicitly told POG what the film was about. Certainly not in CAPS. I told about what it showed me personally. And Prometheus showed a lot without telling. I told the thread what the point of the movie was to me; I saw the creation of man being the destruction of its creators. Like machine vs man. And I saw the lack of purpose clearly, as the DAVID vs Holloway conversation is the one that got stuck in my mind. Holloway was indeed arrogant, and a nice face for humanity.

I wont bother to answer rifa again ever as that has been my biggest mistake here :P I guess the same must go for POG..and he used to be such a reasonable guy, loving Sopranos and all. :cry:

I must only hope that the extended edition sheds a lot of light..
Post something controversial and then back it up with ridiculous personal understandings of how humanity works (because you're not just questioning the disfunctionalities of religious zealots, you're questioning the one thing that separates us from robots) and you can turn any reasonable guy into a defensive freak. Go on and make your own conclusions about what in your posts and tendancies made it so that this reasonable guy turned on you publicly.

You still don't bother answering things in bolded lines. At least you can admit that that is how the movie works and that is what it tells us, even if you don't agree that humans are superior to androids because they have faith.

and yes, liron gets it

the movie doesn't just explain OUR creation
it explains why WE created MYTHOLOGY and RELIGION and HOW

and that we needed THAT so that we can GO INTO SPACE and be SCIENTIFIC and STUFF.

The whole movie to me is about a lack of purpose. David, during his two years on the Prometheus while it traveled, developed a God complex. He realized that he was more able than his human creators, which are mortal (unlike him) and less able to do/learn like David. He watched Shaw's and everyone's dreams to learn about them. He watches Lawrence of Arabia (a movie about a man leading a rebellion against his superior officers), chooses to dress like the main character and practices his speech. David doesn't seem to follow orders (like opening the tomb door when Shaw says not to, or taking the vase back, or departing from the crew to explore for the Engineers, and not wanting to tell Vickers what her father had told him). He increasingly becomes overly confident in his superiority (even says "not too close, I hope" when Weyland says that androids are as close to being human as ever) when David gains a "soul," for what is a soul but a profound purpose of being. It satisfies him when the humans learn that their creators were nothing special, and that their existence is nothing special. He probably told the Engineer something to deliberately anger the Engineer and put the crew in harms way. It is not until his head if ripped off and he is completely helpless that he remembers his place, a creation of humans, and becomes subservient to Shaw.

This is a perfect mirror to the Engineers and humans.

God is used not to refer to Jesus, but to reference the connection between creator/created and what being a "god" means. That is why there were so many biblical references in the movie (such as Elizabeth's name, washing Weyland's feet before his death, the xeno mural, the necklace, the planet's name, and so on). Prometheus deals with the idea of "why does humanity exist?" and "who is God?" If God is the one who created life, then that is the Engineers (not a very exciting or supremely awesome result), and if humans created androids, then are they Gods? Better question, what is the purpose of creating life other then "just cuz?" The movie challenges the entire notion that life is sacred or special and makes people think about what it means to exist.

That, and a bunch of awesome space scenes and scary moments.

This is also obvious in the scene where they stick a probe into the Engineer's head's neck and electrocute it to "bring it back to life" in a way. It is a direct reference to Frankenstein. The title of which is actually: Frankenstein: A Modern Prometheus, and Victor Frankenstein happens to be married to a woman named Elizabeth. The book deals with the creation of life, and how that life becomes a monster and kills everything. Just as how the black goo alters life and turns it into something evil.
Its all rooted in Fiction of course, I am not gonna take Prometheus as serious as RIFA or History Channel seem to take Ancient Aliens xD

Better question, what is the purpose of creating life other then "just cuz?" The movie challenges the entire notion that life is sacred or special and makes people think about what it means to exist.
First, the movie only poses that question. That doesn't mean it doesn't answer it. And it answers it with Faith. If it didn't, the ending wouldn't have been so optimistic. If it was about the nihilistic notion about lack of purpose it would've ended with her crying in the sand. Instead it went on to make a point about the difference between humans and androids, which AGAIN you just avoided.

You can't call Holloway arrogant and not be arrogant in agreeing with him about how the movie and everything about life and humanity is all about purpose and that if there's no purpose then... there's nothing else...

Then we get to the second sentence in that post.
The movie challenges the entire notion that life is sacred or special and makes people think about what it means to exist.
Yes, it challenges it. It puts that element of frustration as an obstacle in front of the main character. And the main character says 'because that's what I choose to believe' and "I guess that's because I'm a human being". How is it about LACK of PURPOSE and not about PRESENCE of FAITH then?

Why do you keep avoiding stuff?
Why do you keep quoting yourself?
Why do you keep quoting that guy that might not even have been talking about the whole movie and you seem to be misunderstanding as well? He it's about lack of purpose, he doesn't say it's only about that.

Why do you keep avoiding stuff?

prince0gotham wrote:
Better question, what is the purpose of creating life other then "just cuz?" The movie challenges the entire notion that life is sacred or special and makes people think about what it means to exist.
First, the movie only poses that question. That doesn't mean it doesn't answer it. And it answers it with Faith. If it didn't, the ending wouldn't have been so optimistic. If it was about the nihilistic notion about lack of purpose it would've ended with her crying in the sand. Instead it went on to make a point about the difference between humans and androids, which AGAIN you just avoided.
Excellent point.

On my first viewing I thought I heard Weyland saying "There's nothing to be learned here." (then David said "I know"). Truly his father's son.

On second I just heard "There's nothing...".

One way or the other, look at them compared to Shaw. She gives birth to a xeno, has her boyfriend killed, feels sorry about leading everyone to their doom on this planet and still thinks there's something to be learned.

While the 'fact/science'-driven arrogant and god-mongering Weyland loses faith completely. And David agrees with him because he has nothing to learn from him anymore. He has a lot to learn from Shaw. Now she is his mother.

Its impossible to avoid all the religious motifs and symbolism in Prometheus. Especially after the link RIFA posted has gone viral many other places online, and it has spread like wildfire. Excuse me for not being in your flock of disciples of this highly religious opinion. Where people see hope and faith in Prometheus, I see ignorance and arrogance not yielding to such a big truth. Human nature haunting humans. That notion is yelled throughout the entire Alien franchise; humans are evil. (You don't see them fucking eachother over for a god damn %.) (The perfect organism, unclouded by morality) etc. This was spelled out in the franchise, but I was just blindly in love with the Giger monster. And in Alien 4 its humans who are shown as the real monsters. Prometheus makes me love the Giger monster even more, and just nod a whole lot to the human arrogance themes.