Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Forum Pro
Law
Allstar wrote:
Law wrote:Just saw this, let me start off by saying that I didn't hate the first one, I just wasn't very fond of it.

Age of Ultron however, blew my fuckin socks off. This movie was so tight, so many stand out scenes. Loved the teamwork in the fight scenes, the end fight with everyone working together felt so right.

Scarlet Witch <333333333333
:clap:
Yeah that doesn't make the score memorable though lol

lol

But take a listen to the Elfman tracks. The Tyler stuff is largely bland and forgettable but Elfman's stuff is great.

Wait, Quicksilver had more screentime than Scarlet Witch?

My review:
This film was tiring. I still can't say that it was bad because it had its moments from time to time and I felt it was more focused on the characters than a typical Transformers movie (although they have a lot of bad things in common, more on this later) - eg. In comparison to the previous part they gave more time for character development... unfortunately in this part it doesn't have anything to do with the film. Well, sure, Hawkeye has a family, but what did it have to do with the film that I just watched? I have no idea. The only character development that influenced the plot was the romance between Widow and the Hulk, but it was also tiring. Zero chemistry between them, and it appeared out of nowhere.

There were, however, good gags with Thor and his hammer. Both at the party and later with Vision. Overall, the opening and that were two of the best moments in the film. Also, Iron Man had 2 or 3 good jokes out of the 1000s that he delivered (I did not expect that Downey could bother me in this film, but it's probably mostly because in this film he had very little development). Before I lose you... That opening fight though, right? I think it was even BETTER than the climax of the first film.

Captain America, on the other hand, had completely no role here. The twins had perhaps the most room to shine, but I wasn't blown away either. They had a good explanation of why they hate Stark, their story was quite dramatic. It is a pity that beyond that they didn't get many opportunities to show off their abilities in spectacular scenes in which they could show us what they can do, and I would say "wow". Especially Scarlett Witch felt meh. Quicksilver had a couple good "cool" moments, but it's not enough if you think about the potential in his powers. Vision is a joke, not a way of doing artificial intelligence interesting. But in a dumb popcorn flick, I think he has potential for future projects - that's as much praise I can give him. Ultron was a disappointment, I expected someone more sinister and serious, like in the trailer, and here he was a poor extension of a bad Tony Stark. What's more, the movie makes the same mistake as the previous installment. The heroes are fighting with an army of robots without faces or character (well, previously they were nameles aliens), they simply hit and destroy "some things". Most of the action looked something like this: let's destroy this building, running, punching, "excitment" etc, etc. While I was sitting there completely indifferent. Maybe I'm the only one but I'm not interested in watching buildings collapse, that's like watching paint dry. What I am interested in is what this could mean, the consequences of the falling buildings, crumbling cities, and not doing it for spectacular action scenes, which are not at all impressive without substance, room to breath. This is just for NOISE for the sake of noise.

Technically, the film is done with polish but without vision or passion. The opening sequence is stunning but the movie never captures that same aesthetic again. Maybe it tries at the end but at that point I didn't really care as much. Whedon's film were never beautiful masterpieces of picture. Cinematography is workman-like once again. Even worse than before. People criticizing DC for Man of Steel being grey and dull should be as vocal now because I didn't see more color here. And definitely not as much color and excitment as in the first Avengers. I also had STRONG hopes for the score that we heard in the first trailer, that machine/Terminator vibe. None of that can be found here, however. The music adds NOTHING here. I don't think I remember one note from it.

I have to say that Phase 2 was generally a Marvel's failure if you ask me (keep in mind, I'm probably in the minority and I'm sure that Marvel doesn't care about it, because financially they had tremendous success). "Guardians of the Galaxy" was the only film that I could honestly say was very good. Because of this, I'm no longer waiting for the subsequent films. I'll probably watch Civil War, because at least here Avengers will probably have real enemies (themselves; not bland, faceless robots), but the rest ... meh.

Overall, I give this an 'average' rating. The film had a couple of moments that amused me, some very well made action scenes (the opening tracking shot was spectacular). And that's about it. Unfortunately that's how it is with comedies, which this film definitely is. The second part never goes as well, and thus Marvel's comic approach is starting to feel tiresome for me and now I await the sequel to Guardians, which was also a comedy, with dread, fearing the same reaction. These cons and the general length of the film does not allow me to give it a passing grade or a recommendation.

5.5/10

Age of Ultron passes $1 billion worldwide to become Marvel's third highest grossing film

My favorite part of the movie, other than Lizzie Olsen cause I'm in love with her, is seeing RDJ wear lifts so often. Wide shots of him are hilarious sure, but when he looks an inch taller than Chris Evans at the end when they're talking by his car, my brother and I almost fell out of our seats laughing.

seriously though

wtf does Thor do in this film?

I didn't understand any of that

Cilogy wrote:seriously though

wtf does Thor do in this film?

I didn't understand any of that
From what I understand his whole plot line was basically removed and Whedon went head to head with Feige over it for a bit.

Do we know if we're getting a Director's Cut? The movie feels like Whedon created something great and then Marvel hacked it up to fit a certain run time.

From what I heard Fiege made Whedon choose between including Thor's sideplot or including the farm house scene. He chose the latter for obvious reasons.