Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I've decided not to watch this anytime soon.

This felt exactly like man of steel but on jokes
if nolan had directed this he would have been crucified.the movie lacks any tension and it kind of feels bland at some points.i think the score didn't help either.its not a bad movie but its just felt like another predictable marvel movie

mosh89 wrote:This felt exactly like man of steel but on jokes
if nolan had directed this he would have been crucified.the movie lacks any tension and it kind of feels bland at some points.i think the score didn't help either.its not a bad movie but its just felt like another predictable marvel movie
Damn, that's BAD to hear. And unfortunetaly, I'm hearing it from more than one person.

I liked the first Avengers because it was an event and plus it was fun and based on character interactions. I knew this one won't be an event anymore but I at least hoped for some fun character moments and some originality.

To me, being predictable is way worse than being "bad". I like films that have some awkwardness to them more than bland films. I prefer B&R to Thor: The Dark World or Winter Soldier for that. Those movies were incredibly predictable, by the numbers and I didn't get any fun out of watching them. It was constantly a feeling of been there, done that, with action that has nothing at stake. With B&R, I at least got Arnold Schwarzenegger and his awesome one-liners to keep me entertained.

LelekPL wrote:
mosh89 wrote:This felt exactly like man of steel but on jokes
Damn, that's BAD to hear. And unfortunetaly, I'm hearing it from more than one person.

I liked the first Avengers because it was an event and plus it was fun and based on character interactions. I knew this one won't be an event anymore but I at least hoped for some fun character moments and some originality.

To me, being predictable is way worse than being "bad". I like films that have some awkwardness to them more than bland films. I prefer B&R to Thor: The Dark World or Winter Soldier for that. Those movies were incredibly predictable, by the numbers and I didn't get any fun out of watching them. It was constantly a feeling of been there, done that, with action that has nothing at stake. With B&R, I at least got Arnold Schwarzenegger and his awesome one-liners to keep me entertained.

What can I say. I prefer to laugh at how silly a film is than to be bored to death with predictable story developments and bland action. I'm not saying I love B&R but I get at least some enjoyment out of it. Where I would give it a 5/10 just for the enjoyment factor and siliness, I would give Thor and Cap a 3 and maybe a 5 respectively. Mind you, none of them are passing grades but at least B&R got some emotion out of me.

Looks like there are no consequences in the story where people reasonably expected some.

"It's a fun, entertaining movie, but I've come to expect more from Marvel movies and films in general."
3/5

I know this guy's basically an unknown but I think he brings up some good points (and I agree with many of his previous reviews).

EDIT:

Awesome. Elfman wasn't kidding when he said he was implementing Silvestri's score back in. Good. Hope they use it more than once.

Batfan175 wrote:Looks like there are no consequences in the story where people reasonably expected some.
Pretty much.

There's a part where you think Civil War will be instigated but nah.

Well, I've seen it and now I'll give my opinion.

It's all right. It was enjoyable enough, albeit less so than the first and far from the gems that Marvel is capable of doing. I think the major problem with the movie was that it was too safe. Every time it feels like they're going to take the characters into a more interesting direction, the film steers sharply back to its safe, marketable self. Every time a theme starts to show, some hidden depth, it cuts away to a gag that - while funny - is a distraction from what would have made a more compelling story.

For the majority of the film, it's entertaining, but there are chinks in the armour that show. The odd line of dialogue, a strange edit, even the action scenes aren't all that impressive, even compared to the first. There's a few out of character moments that took me out of it, especially with Ultron. As a villain, his motivation is sort of understandable, but the delivery is so sloppy that it's not all that convincing. And while James Spader does a fine enough job, the script he's given and the way Ultron is animated feels like a Saturday morning cartoon.

The only characters that are really nailed are Hawkeye and Vision. The film might as well be called Hawkeye and Pals: Age of Vision. The latter doesn't get much screen time, but Paul Bettany does a great job and has a few shining moments in the film.

All in all, it's a good time, but not a great time. There's a lack of focus, cohesion, and most apparent of all, consequence. What little stakes there are quickly get brushed aside. The set-ups don't come across as consequences of the plot, but teasers for the next installment or side films.

While I'm glad the Russos are taking over after Whedon, the series is going to need more than competent directors in order to keep me invested. Still, I can't call it the worst movie.