Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
didich wrote:
darthnazgul wrote:It does feel like Whedon. But at the same time, it feels like he forgets that he's writing Avengers, so his tendencies run rampant.
I remember reading an interview where compared the making of this film to the first Avengers, saying that with the first movie, he had to made concessions while this felt much more personal to him. I have the feeling that Feige (who generally acts as "literally editor" so to speak when it comes to the Marvel movies, discussing with its respective directors what he wants and what he thinks works - For example, he asked Gunn to put a bit more of his own personality into GOTG and probably put down Whedon in the first installment) was perhaps a bit too "hands-free" this time. Gave him carte-blanche. Kinda like what happened with Singer and Superman Returns, Whedon probably put the effort in the things he liked; sometimes a more personal project means that, the less you like the person, the less you'll like the project.

I generally tolerate his excesses, though, so I'll wait and see.
Well some of Whedon's stuff I do enjoy. I really like Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog and the few episodes of Firefly I've seen, but Dr Horrible and Firefly aren't Avengers, and it feels like he got them confused somehow. He needed a co-writer to reel him back in.

While watching this one I was comparing it to the first one and I was simply "This is better". And it is. To me at least.

It's not a great movie, but it is a good movie. A good summer blockbuster movie with superheroes. The actors worked better one with another now (they felt like they were a team, and when they weren't you felt something is wrong there). I liked the pairing of Captain America and Thor in battle and I think they will pair in Civil War too if Thor makes it in there (they look closer to one another now). I think every member of the team shined and had equal amount of action and screen time (or it felt like it). The action scenes were better in this one (Hulkbuster vs Hulk is the best for me, and an exemple of how to do it in comparison to Hulk vs Abomination - but then again I like Hulk in action and destruction in superhero movies *cough* MoS*cough*). The last action scene felt sometimes like how the last action scene in Avengers felt to that overall movie, although compared to one another this is better (and feels like more it's at stake). What I mean is the last action scene doesn't top the actions scenes in the middle of the movie and overall feels less memorable (they do have their good moments in there, especially this one).

I liked the fact that they had their little personal moment/struggle. Moments like these made this one better than the Avengers. And this is where Hawkeye comes in. He had the best and warmest one :P And after you see it you'll come to the same conclusion: he is the least fucked up of them all, and the most human :lol: Nice way to shine a light on that character and Renner deserved it imo. Also liked what they did with Banner/Hulk (you'll see) and I am curious what was that sequence with Thor (with a surprise cameo - a nice nod to that actor also). There are some cameos of other characters from the previous movies in here.

Ultron is interesting. I liked him, he is robot and human at the same time, and Spader makes him fun and manacing, but, still not that great villain we expect (Kingpin is the best, and a great one - well, till the last episode where all goes cartoony). He will suffer also from the sindrome of "villain of the week". But he is interesting to me bc he is also a flawed villain, ironically human like flawed. Loki is flawed too you might say, but Ultron is... shall I say... more likable? I like him more than Loki when it comes to that (as a villain, and compared to other ones, he is his own thing I might say) but Loki is more unforgetable.
That last scene with Vision was sooo guuuuud. Moments like that made him shine, even if he was all wrong in his mind set
But overall, he is not a memorable villain hence the "villain of the week" thing.

Vision... he is a strange character. Somewhere around Dr. Manhattan strange but less powerful (and less cold inside), although his strangeness makes you think he is more powerful than he is. There is a moment there when everyone in the room with him don''t know what to do with him and are kinda "I don't want to go near this guy bc I don't know what he'll do to me". He clearly knows things more than a human begin could know and that sets him apart from everyone else. Not a lot of screen time (he comes late to the party) and he serves his purpose in the final conflict. He stands out because of his strangeness and not because he is fleshed out (there was not time, and he is not a main character, yet at least)

Now with the spoilers
So, who guessed Quicksilver would bite the dust he/she was right. For a moment there you might have thought maybe maybe they will use the "know his family and how good a man he is, then Hawkeye dies" cliche. They didn't. They used this one. "Underused character is killed to make him relevant somehow" cliche. Quicksilver was the only one who didn't stood out. Everyone (from the main fighting characters, not Warhammer or Falcon or Maria Hill) had his/her moment, did something, stood out in a way. Quicksilver was just there because his sister was there. I don't blame Taylor-Johnson (he did all right), but his character was underwritten, just there to fill the space and nothing more (just like Hawkeye was in the first one - oh the irony). I guess they saw that and killed him off. And also they had their "required tragic death which makes everyone sad" moment, like they did in Avengers with Coulson. Will they include this with every Avengers movie from now on? :lol:

But that moment with Barton resting besides Quicksilver's dead body was good.

Speaking of Hawkeye, after this one, he deserves to live. And a solo movie too. A solo movie which retains how Hawkeye was portraited in this movie. With family and all. I said it: the least fucked up and the most human of them all. And that's the thing: he is the least powerful of them all, the grunt, and the best of them all.

So, moving on, The Avengers are disassembling, it seems. Thor goes home (had something to do with his dream/fear sequence). Banner is gone too (liked the fact that they did this, and that scene in the plane). Stark says he's out (again :roll: ). Fury is still under the radar. And Captain A is making a new Avengers team (which looks less powerful) consisting of him, Falcon, Blackwidow, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch and Vision. I guess this carries over to Civil War.

Speaking of leading to Civil War.... They set this subdued animosity between them (which I liked) and then at the end of the movie they are on speaking terms again. It's like they didn't go the whole distance to make room for whats to come in Civil War.

Also, Hulk wreaks that Wakandian city, people are ready to crucify him or put him to justice, and then the whole movie this subject is dropped? I would have liked for them to touch on this more, and in general on Avengers failing and also failing in the eyes of the public. That would have made for something interesting.
Okish, out of the spoiler territory. The jokes fell flat for me, really flat. Like, the action was gud and then one character drops something and I'm like "should I laugh to this? people laugh to this?". The one liners were terrible. I think chuckled at something but I don't remember what it was.

Also, not really in the laughter category, but the hammer "gag" (it appears a few times throughout the movie, not only the table scene) was good.

Ah Serkis... good, not much to do, will most likely appear in Black Panther :P . Did he get fit for this role? He looked fit.

So, all in all, this is better than Avengers. I might even see it a second time, and this I didn't do (in theatres) for any Marvel movie till now. Ah ah ah, I didn't say it is the best Marvel movie to me.

The order before this movie was. WS, IR 3, then GotG and IR 1, and then the rest of them (stay calm, Avengers 5th, but not something to rewatch or consider). Now AoU might fall in every spot of these 4 but have to rewatch them to clasify them properly (a thing which I don't think I'll do).

There you have it. You might disagree with me (I liked IR 3 and MoS after all) or agree with me (I liked also WS and TDK trilogy). Take you pick :P The funny and good thing is I didn't expect it to be better than Avengers for me, but it did.

Oh oh, the 3D is not worth it, and same as the first one, the image was darker in 3D. I know those glasses darken the image but some 3D movie takes this in account. Not this one.
Last edited by JohnConstantine on April 24th, 2015, 2:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

This blew the first one out of the water (and I enjoyed that one). Robert Downey Jr OWNS the role of Iron Man but what makes this movie better than the first is that the supporting characters are far more fleshed out (especially Hawkeye).

It's still a shame that Whedon still can't get a decent DP. That or he has a horrible eye for visuals because still he manages to make everything look somewhat televisual despite the huge budget he has. The characters and Whedon's script are what make these movies I guess.

JohnConstantine wrote:
So, who guessed Quicksilver would bite the dust he/she was right.
haha I freaking called it
from Ciwil War thread:
Ruth wrote:
y no Quicksilver though? Is he gonna end up dead in Avengers 2 lol?

Ruth, I remember I also heard or read about it in another place (or here from anther NF member, I don't know exactly). No, it was from somewhere else.

And yes, Lizzie Olsen is smokin' :lol: (yea, I am on a first name basis with her :P )

I read right now there is a middle credits scene. I didn't stay for it. What was about? And where to find it in all its camrip glory?

JohnConstantine wrote:Ruth, I remember I also heard or read about it in another place (or here from anther NF member, I don't know exactly). No, it was from somewhere else.

And yes, Lizzie Olsen is smokin' :lol: (yea, I am on a first name basis with her :P )

I read right now there is a middle credits scene. I didn't stay for it. What was about? And where to find it in all its camrip glory?
Thanos picking up the empty Infinity Gauntlet saying "Fine, I'll do this myself"

Oh I assumed most people knew my name here by now.

BRENDAN HODGES is me.

PLEASE help me out people it would be an immense help.

-Vader

3/5. It's OK but nothing wowed me. At the end, none of the main characters are in any real peril since we know that Mrvel has like 15 more installments planned and they re fighting robots so you don't even need t feel guilty when they get destroyed. Weaksauce. Ultron was good but his plan ended up being really simplistic and they did not explore the full potential of what his motivations offered in terms of content. A lot of times the film rushed through events and hence it didn't give the chracters enough breathing room and it just felt like it really went through the motions. On the plus side, some of the humour was good but the fight scenes bore me because at some point someone's gonn make some witty retort or pun and that defltes the tension and takes me out of the film because then there are no stakes if everyone is constantly calm and collected and if none of the hundreds or thousands of people get hurt. I did like Vision and Scarlet Witch though, even though most of the characters were on autopilot and did not develop beyond shallow surface. It looked nice though.