Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:So do you think this film will be the straw that will eventually break the camel's back?
MCU falls.
DCU rises.
Again, I'm being facetious. ;)

Bacon wrote:
eGregiovs wrote:So, I have to wait another 12 months to see a quality Avengers film?
If you don't enjoy this one, it'll be more unless you're considering Civil War an Avengers film.
I'm seeing AoU in a week, but the NF reviews are not building my confidence.

I don't consider Civil War to be a Captain America film.
Now Where Was I ? wrote:The thing that bugs me the most in the LACK of continuity in this shared universe.

From what I've read, this movie makes more sense if you forget Iron Man 3 or Winter Soldier ever happened.
I don't remember IM3 having any continuity with the shared universe other than Tony's PTSD after destroying the droid army's mothership from the Phantom Menace.

BlairCo wrote:So do you think this film will be the straw that will eventually break the camel's back?
That's not really how that metaphor works at all.
Plus Marvel pretty much will keep going until the studio goes bankrupt, since this and the TV shows are their biggest sources of revenue. And with print media on a decline this is pretty much Marvel Entertainment's primary revenue stream. I mean that's how every movie studio works, except Marvel can only use properties it already owns.

EDIT: I also looked at the interview Downey walked out on. Holy shit, he was like three seconds away from stabbing a motherfucker. I hope this guy interviews Tom Hardy because he'll chokeslam a motherfucker.

Interesting to see the more mixed reaction for this one (not really mixed, but relative to the first). I thought surely it was going be even more successful critically, especially with the way Phase 2 Marvel has been going in general compared to Phase 1. Sure it will still be a massive B.O. Success but if the general audience also feels its good but a little disappointing than that gives TFA all the more advantage

eGregiovs wrote:I don't remember IM3 having any continuity with the shared universe other than Tony's PTSD after destroying the droid army's mothership from the Phantom Menace.
But IM3 ends with Tony Stark retiring, destroying all of his suits, giving an end to his PTSD. It's supposedly forgotten at the beginning of Avengers 2.

But honestly, to me that's not a problem. I never judge movies based on what movie came before it. I judge a movie on its own, regardless if it is a sequel, spin-off or whatever. A movie doesn't get bonus points from me for easter eggs, as well as it doesn't get negative points for some continuity errors based on previous films. I'm not that anal... at least not with movies ;)

LelekPL wrote:
eGregiovs wrote:I don't remember IM3 having any continuity with the shared universe other than Tony's PTSD after destroying the droid army's mothership from the Phantom Menace.
But IM3 ends with Tony Stark retiring, destroying all of his suits, giving an end to his PTSD. It's supposedly forgotten at the beginning of Avengers 2.
It's not.
Tony's fixation on AI and getting drones to do the work for him is a big part of the film, if not the core conceit, as his his willingness to relinquish his mantle as an actual soldier in the field - he's very eager to retire with Pepper.
As for further continuity, the president from IM3 is identified as a threat to be assassinated by Redford's character in The Winter SOldier.

I saw it last night, and I enjoyed a lot! It's fun and action packed, the Hulkbuster/Iron Man fights is one of the best action scenes in a Marvel movie ever if you ask me, it does become kind of clunky at the climax of the movie, and Thor's side quest is kind of dumb, but pretty much firtst half of this film was amazing, for me at least.

Was it better than the first movie? I don't know about that yet, but it's definitely up there, I do think the action is much better this time around, and the effects are even better than the first movie, incredible opening scene aswell. Ultron was great, but he could've been developed just a bit more.
Vision was awesome, the Twins were better than I expected and holy shit Hawkeye was one of the best parts of the movie. Also it doesn't ignore that The Winter Soldier happened at all, don't know why people are saying this but whatever.

If I would have to rate it I would probably give it an 8.25/8.5 out of 10, my problems being Thor's side quest and it was kind of hard to follow what was going on in the climax of the move. But if you love the MCU like me, you are going to enjoy the hell out of this and you probably won't be disappointed. I would say it's in my Top 5 MCU movies.
Now bring on Thanos!!

Apparently this does the things the first one lacked but it's extremely Whedon-y, so whether it does the things better or not will depend on how much do you like his way of writing and tastes, or not. I read he was the one who wanted this to have a "shorter" runtime, so this is probably a place where I'll disagree with him when the film comes, for example.

didich wrote:Apparently this does the things the first one lacked but it's extremely Whedon-y, so whether it does the things better or not will depend on how much do you like his way of writing and tastes, or not. I read he was the one who wanted this to have a "shorter" runtime, so this is probably a place where I'll disagree with him when the film comes, for example.
It does feel like Whedon. But at the same time, it feels like he forgets that he's writing Avengers, so his tendencies run rampant.

darthnazgul wrote:It does feel like Whedon. But at the same time, it feels like he forgets that he's writing Avengers, so his tendencies run rampant.
I remember reading an interview where compared the making of this film to the first Avengers, saying that with the first movie, he had to made concessions while this felt much more personal to him. I have the feeling that Feige (who generally acts as "literally editor" so to speak when it comes to the Marvel movies, discussing with its respective directors what he wants and what he thinks works - For example, he asked Gunn to put a bit more of his own personality into GOTG and probably put down Whedon in the first installment) was perhaps a bit too "hands-free" this time. Gave him carte-blanche. Kinda like what happened with Singer and Superman Returns, Whedon probably put the effort in the things he liked; sometimes a more personal project means that, the less you like the person, the less you'll like the project.

I generally tolerate his excesses, though, so I'll wait and see.