True Detective (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I fucking love this season. I hope the final episode ties this all together in a satisfying way.

Nomis wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 7:36 am
I fucking love this season. I hope the final episode ties this all together in a satisfying way.
Ali and Dorff are such an amazing duo on screen together.

Ali and Dorff are fucking amazing, the make-up is perfect (well, old Dorff is ssssliiiightly weird, but I can accept that), and the story is restrained, exciting. BUT! I stated earlier, after 3 or 4 episodes, that I'm beginning to feel that the whole "jumping back and forth in time" structure is working against itself, putting out any sort of suspense that could otherwise build up in a traditionally structured story. And I think, now that there's only one episode left, I was right.
For example, this whole killing of the ginger dude was pretty obvious, and I'm sure the creators didn't want to hide the fact that Hayes and West did kill the guy and hid the body. And now we could witness the actual event... an event we were completely aware of, thus rendering the scene of the actual murder completely unexciting. I'm really wondering if this whole story was structured in a linear, traditional manner, would these scenes have ended up surprising, shocking, full of suspense and drama? I think the answer is yes. But because we are constantly told of events before showing them, I'm really scratching my head why all this should be interesting to watch, now that I know what's happening, because I was told earlier.

It really feels like they were going for a lot of mystery in the first half of the season, but there are no revelations whatsoever, because we are almost told everything in advance.

I saw the other day Christopher McQuarrie on Twitter saying that his late reveal of MI: Fallout's real villain wasn't supposed to be a reveal. Like, he's never wanted to hide the fact that Cavill is the real villain. So people saying that it was a twist you could figure out early on are missing the point: it was never intended to be a twist. Which is fine, okay, I guess, but... feels like a weird argument. Still, I wonder if the creators of TD Season 3 are thinking of their narrative the same way.

Whatever the case, they are MAKING things seem like they were intended to be twists and dramatic turns in the story.
So I don't know, what are your thoughts?

DHOPW42 wrote:
February 22nd, 2019, 5:26 am
Ali and Dorff are fucking amazing, the make-up is perfect (well, old Dorff is ssssliiiightly weird, but I can accept that), and the story is restrained, exciting. BUT! I stated earlier, after 3 or 4 episodes, that I'm beginning to feel that the whole "jumping back and forth in time" structure is working against itself, putting out any sort of suspense that could otherwise build up in a traditionally structured story. And I think, now that there's only one episode left, I was right.
For example, this whole killing of the ginger dude was pretty obvious, and I'm sure the creators didn't want to hide the fact that Hayes and West did kill the guy and hid the body. And now we could witness the actual event... an event we were completely aware of, thus rendering the scene of the actual murder completely unexciting. I'm really wondering if this whole story was structured in a linear, traditional manner, would these scenes have ended up surprising, shocking, full of suspense and drama? I think the answer is yes. But because we are constantly told of events before showing them, I'm really scratching my head why all this should be interesting to watch, now that I know what's happening, because I was told earlier.

It really feels like they were going for a lot of mystery in the first half of the season, but there are no revelations whatsoever, because we are almost told everything in advance.

I saw the other day Christopher McQuarrie on Twitter saying that his late reveal of MI: Fallout's real villain wasn't supposed to be a reveal. Like, he's never wanted to hide the fact that Cavill is the real villain. So people saying that it was a twist you could figure out early on are missing the point: it was never intended to be a twist. Which is fine, okay, I guess, but... feels like a weird argument. Still, I wonder if the creators of TD Season 3 are thinking of their narrative the same way.

Whatever the case, they are MAKING things seem like they were intended to be twists and dramatic turns in the story.
So I don't know, what are your thoughts?
I don't think it's a point of being exciting or not. Yes we knew Harris was going to be killed but how did it happen, what information did we get that led to how it happened. We know he probably killed Tom and Dan from the scene's leading up to his killing and we know that Hoyt knows that Hays/West killed Harris so all of that makes it worthwhile to me to know what happens with Harris before we see it happen. What are the repercussions that happen to Hays from killing Harris? With Hoyt knowing does that force Hays to quit and stop investigating the case? Is there a threat against his family? It's most likely one or both of these. The before and after effects are what intrigue me about it.
Also I like Dorff's old man makeup. He reminds of Pete Rose.

felt like a pretty Nolanesque ending
Wayne gets all the way to the finish line, but can't remember. But as far he knows, he's at peace.

So, we the audience get all the answers, but the last 30 min or so brings it back to what this season is all about. It's not about us getting the answers. It's initially about Wayne getting the answers. But wait, it's not really about that, it's about him finding peace. It's about not feeling haunted anymore.

At the same time Henry has all the answers in his hand. But throughout the season, Henry has only shown that he wants his father to move on. So like, Henry becomes the Miles to Wayne's Dom Cobb in Inception.

Damn dude, this was really good.

I feel satisfied somehow 🤔

Sysmatic wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:13 am
I do too. Most of the questions were answered and those that weren't probably didn't need it.

bootsy wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:22 am
Sysmatic wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:13 am
I do too. Most of the questions were answered and those that weren't probably didn't need it.
Yeah I agree. Though, it felt somewhat rushed.. It kind of felt like 1 big pile on info being dumped upon us at a very, very quick pace.

But I actually feel glad they went for a "happy" ending. Even though the tone of the whole season before was quite grim/dark, and most shit just ended up being a red herring.

And I will just think it ended that Hays did end up knowing it was Julie (when he drank the glass of water he got from her daughter).

P. S. I Loved that three timeline shot&edit of Hays and Roland in the car.

Forum Pro
Law
Sysmatic wrote:
February 25th, 2019, 1:28 am
P. S. I Loved that three timeline shot&edit of Hays and Roland in the car.
That's the show's highlight for me.

Also, has a show with that many timelines ever been this good?

Overall, how are people feeling about the finale / the season in general

-Vader