The Counselor (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Fernando wrote:As great as it was, I will never forgive NCFOM for having one of the most dull, anti-climatic endings in history.
I don't really remember it being anti-climatic.
"It doesn't matter how you get knocked down in life because that's going to happen. All that matters is you gotta get up."

It was a thrilling, thought-provoking cat-and-mouse film, with tons of Hitchcock-like moments and symbolism, and it ended with
the sheriff talking about his boring dream after retiring, about ten minutes after we last see anything interesting, and it cuts to black with him just sitting there.
Last edited by Fernando on February 9th, 2012, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fernando wrote:
It was a thrilling, thought-provoking cat-and-mouse film, with tons of Hitchcock-like moments and symbolism, and it ended with the sheriff talking about his boring dream after retiring, about ten minutes after we last see anything interesting, and it cuts to black with him just sitting there.

Spoilers, also the dreams were important I feel. I hope you didn't miss the point there.
Or even if you didn't, doesn't matter.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
Fernando wrote:
It was a thrilling, thought-provoking cat-and-mouse film, with tons of Hitchcock-like moments and symbolism, and it ended with the sheriff talking about his boring dream after retiring, about ten minutes after we last see anything interesting, and it cuts to black with him just sitting there.

Spoilers, also the dreams were important I feel. I hope you didn't miss the point there.
Or even if you didn't, doesn't matter.
I did, i saw how his dreams could lead to dozens of interpretations. But I don't feel that was the right way to end the film, that shot. Possibly an external shot of the country, like the opening? IDK. I won't argue with the Coens and Deakins, so.

It was a perfect ending.
It was sheriff's story.The ending puts all the dots in their place.

Ehhh sort of.

I read most of the book, but not up to the ending, so I'm unsure if it was the same. I always thought of it as Llewelyn's story, with the sheriff as the moral anchor character.

Fernando wrote:Ehhh sort of.

I read most of the book, but not up to the ending, so I'm unsure if it was the same. I always thought of it as Llewelyn's story, with the sheriff as the moral anchor character.

Most of it? What stopped you from reading it all?
I felt it was Bell's story through and through, his observation of events, events which seem to tie the ideas of the story together.
EDIT:
Though, I'd like to add the novel really isn't relevant because it's worth considering the film by itself. The ending of the book was not unconventional by any means, maybe just a bit unexpected for film audiences. But whatever, I thought it was cool.
Do you... like pineapple?

It would be nice if Fassy can do this. THR said though that he starts shooting 12 Years A Slave in May so maybe they'll shuffle the scheds a bit?

The only McCarthy adaptation I care about is the unfilmable film, Blood Meridian...

But this sounds interesting.