The Counselor (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
There have been quite a few reactions over at AW, and it was good, real good. I don't think there's anything to worry, it just seems Fox has trouble selling the movie.

Jax_Teller wrote:There have been quite a few reactions over at AW, and it was good, real good. I don't think there's anything to worry, it just seems Fox has trouble selling the movie.
I really hope you're right, man. Lord knows studios suck at marketing movies constantly.

-Vader

It's going to be a beautiful mess, my precognition.

m4st4 wrote:It's going to be a beautiful mess, my precognition.

Some reactions found on AW:

1/ Got to see The Counselor last night and am still dealing with the aftermath. Amazing film from Ridley Scott opens Oct. 25. #haveyoubeenbad

2/ Must say the Counselor was a really great movie, its def. a thriller

3/ If you like violence and good actors go see The Counselor on Oct. 25

4/ Well, I can't say a whole lot, I saw it in London. I am an international journalist. I loved The Counselor and it was a great film. Ridley's greatest since American Gangster. and Cameron Diaz STOLE the film from everyone else. She is at her greatest level ever in The Counselor. Diaz could win an Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.

5/ Alex Billington ‏@firstshowing 7m
Ridley Scott's The Counselor is damn good thanks mostly to Cormac McCarthy's deep, layered script. But it's very very dark, all about death.

6/ Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty 1m
Saw Ridley Scott's THE COUNSELOR. Will surprise no one to learn Cormac McCarthy can write a great screenplay. Movie is really well done.

Steven Weintraub ‏@colliderfrosty 2m
one of the many things that's great about THE COUNSELOR is it doesn't dumb itself down for audiences.

7/ I'm here to answer any questions about the film.I thought it was on par with American Gangster which is a fave of mine. Diaz and Bardem are at their best, Pitt is decent while Fassbender is okay a bit of a let down but maybe his best is in 12 Years a Slave.I saw this at the Glasgow Film Theatre where there was a press screening and a mate of mine works for the scotsman and got me in so this was a big deal for me and there is an embargo which ends next week I think I'm not sure so ask away and for Oscars I think this is very twisted and different and the Academy might snub this but I'm hoping for Diaz as she was amazing and you cant go wrong with Bardem.

Also found this tidbit about the movie, interesting:

In the past, Mr. McCarthy has been content to let filmmakers interpret his words. But with "The Counselor," he wanted more control. He joined the production as an executive producer, and weighed in on everything from the director and cast to subtle language tweaks and final edits. He was on set for roughly 40 days of filming in London and coastal Spain.

Vader182 wrote:So, in addition to The Counselor's absence at any and all film festival screenings around the world, 20th Century Fox seems to be limiting the number of advanced screenings by an alarming margin as well. Since this is almost always done when studios don't think critic buzz and/or word of mouth would be strong, I'm getting nervous. I'm trying to be excited, I have faith in Scott, I love the cast, I love some Mccarthy, but, look— the most recent example of a studio doing this is with Carrie, which just had its debut this weekend, rocking a 49% on Rotten Tomatoes. The footage wasn't inspiring to begin with, curious maybe, but definitely not arousing an awful lot of excitement, so when I see the studio's behavior, I worry.

Maybe they're going to open some of the channels I'm describing as soon as next week hits, and this was all to avoid negative comparisons to strong awards contenders from the past two weeks like Captain Philips or 12 Years a Slave, but I don't think apprehension can be blamed at this point. I'm seeing it opening weekend no matter what (or earlier if there's screenings and I get in), but that's my appraisal of the situation.

-Vader
Yeah, this is weird, but honestly I don't see how this movie can fail with Ridley,Cormac and this cast
I'll see it opening weekend also

Pietro Filipponi ‏@Poni_Boy 18 Oct
FYI the review embargo for Ridley Scott's The Counselor is October 24th.. the day before it hits theaters

Forum Pro
Law
Allstar wrote:
Pietro Filipponi ‏@Poni_Boy 18 Oct
FYI the review embargo for Ridley Scott's The Counselor is October 24th.. the day before it hits theaters

prince0gotham wrote:Image
Why am I staring at this with no sign of giving up.