The Counselor (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
GothamGirl wrote:The only McCarthy adaptation I care about is the unfilmable film, Blood Meridian...

But this sounds interesting.
McCarthy personally doesn't personally think of it as unfilmable. I think really he says it better than anyone.
That's all crap. The fact that it's a bleak and bloody story has nothing to do with whether or not you can put it on the screen. That's not the issue. The issue is it would be very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary.
Do you... like pineapple?

jibran wrote:
GothamGirl wrote:The only McCarthy adaptation I care about is the unfilmable film, Blood Meridian...

But this sounds interesting.
McCarthy personally doesn't personally think of it as unfilmable. I think really he says it better than anyone.
That's all crap. The fact that it's a bleak and bloody story has nothing to do with whether or not you can put it on the screen. That's not the issue. The issue is it would be very difficult to do and would require someone with a bountiful imagination and a lot of balls. But the payoff could be extraordinary.

LOL gurl u ever hear of the MPAA?

They'll shut that party down quick.

GothamGirl wrote:
jibran wrote:

I disagree, I think it's possible. Some liberties may have to be taken in that aspect (then again, it can't be a truly faithful adaptation as I feel much of while enjoyable in the book may not translate as well onto screen). The swinging babies part would probably cause the most trouble, but depending on which parts get excised or altered from the text, the gore shouldn't be overly troublesome. The thing is, the violence in the book is like an everyday occurrence, it passes with barely anyone batting an eyelid except for the reader. So in the film, it should be shown like that. Fleeting in individual circumstances (major massacre aside) but still ever-present. Half the horror is in that idea- that the violence occurs in such a way.
Some have thought it would be better as a TV miniseries but I still think it would make for a fantastic/horrifying film.

jibran wrote:
GothamGirl wrote:

I disagree, I think it's possible. Some liberties may have to be taken in that aspect (then again, it can't be a truly faithful adaptation as I feel much of while enjoyable in the book may not translate as well onto screen). The swinging babies part would probably cause the most trouble, but depending on which parts get excised or altered from the text, the gore shouldn't be overly troublesome. The thing is, the violence in the book is like an everyday occurrence, it passes with barely anyone batting an eyelid except for the reader. So in the film, it should be shown like that. Fleeting in individual circumstances (major massacre aside) but still ever-present. Half the horror is in that idea- that the violence occurs in such a way.
Some have thought it would be better as a TV miniseries but I still think it would make for a fantastic/horrifying film.

If they do the film right, it will automatically get an NC-17 (The kiss of the death).

An R would be so watered down that it could never approach the kind of impact that the book had. That's a fact. While the characters might not "bat an eyelash" the raters will.

But don't get me wrong. I wish this film could be made (by the Coen brothers).

The point is that even if it doesn't match the bludgeoning level of power in the book, it can still be a very effective and intense film. It can be made, but of course there would have to some compromises.

read some of this last night...cormac should write more scripts...this is really great stuff and its so stylized

i envision this as a film noir, with a very stylized delivery of dialogue...not naturalistic to modern day

Dialogue in Cormac's THE COUNSELOR is best I've read since a Tarantino script

There will be no NC-17. Even if they stay true to the book, and I think they should stay true to the book.

EXCLUSIVE: Michael Fassbender has committed to star in The Counselor, the Cormac McCarthy-scripted thriller that Ridley Scott is making his next film. Scott just worked with the actor in Prometheus and he has landed one of the hottest actors in Hollywood. Scott is eyeing a May 1 start date, and he is talking to a number of high-profile actors to take part in a film that insiders are describing as “No Country For Old Men on steroids.”
Fassy confirmed.

Decent choice would of preferred Cillian, Renner or Rockwell.