The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Okay this should really go in the separate IMAX thread but since its about CF, I'll post it here.

So, I asked the Russian distributor of the film about whether there will be any plans to release a 15/70mm IMAX version of the film (all the IMAXes in Russia are digital apart from one classic 70mm one with a digital set-up but they still have the old equipment, they were planning to go back to 70mm for TDKR but the distributor backed out of getting a 70mm copy at the last minute.).

My original post (translated):
I have already asked you about this on Twitter but would like to hear other fans' opinions about this.

How probably everyone has seen at the end of the US trailer, the scenes in the area were filmed with IMAX cameras (like some scenes in TDKR and Star Trek Into Darkness). One problem - not all screens are big -storey high like the Nescafe IMAX in Moscow, in Russia there are a lot of digital IMAX screens with a much smaller screen and a different screen format. IMAX cameras (currently only film ones, but digital ones will be available soon) shoot in a format for the "classic" big IMAX screens, and in most cases, a movie shot in IMAX is best seen on a classic giant IMAX screen.

(for reference - [link to IMAX vs LieMAX comparison pic and Russian article on Chris Corbould explaining IMAX vs LieMAX at a TDKR screening in London])

In the case of the Nescafe IMAX (the only proper screen in the country), they show films from the IMAX digital system on the classic screen, even during films with IMAX scenes, not the whole screen is used as the image from the digital projector simply cannot fill the screen. As was posted on other places last year, the 70mm equipment is being safely stored. With the TDKR release last year, it was planned to put the 70mm equipment back and order a 70mm print of the film, but the distributor backed out at the last minute, and there was no complete "IMAX Experience" in a cinema and with a film both made for that.

The question is, would it be possible to order a 70mm IMAX print from Lionsgate? Simply put, it would be a shame if it wouldn't be possible to experience the movie the way its makers intended it to be.

Thank you in advance!
This is the response I get (translated):
Looks like you completely misunderstand what the IMAX format is (otherwise you wouldn't have talked about "different screen formats" in different IMAX cinemas". How did you suddenly think that in American IMAX cinemas they'll show the movie from a film print? Ordering the negative, processing and printing of 70mm film costs tens of thousands of dollars - it is simply unprofitable. The film will come out in IMAX in the format that the creators intended it in. There is nothing to discuss and make up. Since all the Arena scenes were filmed in IMAX, in these cinemas you will see much more of the film then in regular screens.
What do you think? Unless of course Lionsgate are really planning to not release the film in 70mm, which would make the use of IMAX cameras redundant and a waste of money (could've just filmed in in 16:9 on an Alexa and "format it for IMAX" like Skyfall...)

Is this legit?

antovolk wrote:Okay this should really go in the separate IMAX thread but since its about CF, I'll post it here.

So, I asked the Russian distributor of the film about whether there will be any plans to release a 15/70mm IMAX version of the film (all the IMAXes in Russia are digital apart from one classic 70mm one with a digital set-up but they still have the old equipment, they were planning to go back to 70mm for TDKR but the distributor backed out of getting a 70mm copy at the last minute.).

I have already asked you about this on Twitter but would like to hear other fans' opinions about this.

How probably everyone has seen at the end of the US trailer, the scenes in the area were filmed with IMAX cameras (like some scenes in TDKR and Star Trek Into Darkness). One problem - not all screens are big -storey high like the Nescafe IMAX in Moscow, in Russia there are a lot of digital IMAX screens with a much smaller screen and a different screen format. IMAX cameras (currently only film ones, but digital ones will be available soon) shoot in a format for the "classic" big IMAX screens, and in most cases, a movie shot in IMAX is best seen on a classic giant IMAX screen.

(for reference - [link to IMAX vs LieMAX comparison pic and Russian article on Chris Corbould explaining IMAX vs LieMAX at a TDKR screening in London])

In the case of the Nescafe IMAX (the only proper screen in the country), they show films from the IMAX digital system on the classic screen, even during films with IMAX scenes, not the whole screen is used as the image from the digital projector simply cannot fill the screen. As was posted on other places last year, the 70mm equipment is being safely stored. With the TDKR release last year, it was planned to put the 70mm equipment back and order a 70mm print of the film, but the distributor backed out at the last minute, and there was no complete "IMAX Experience" in a cinema and with a film both made for that.

The question is, would it be possible to order a 70mm IMAX print from Lionsgate? Simply put, it would be a shame if it wouldn't be possible to experience the movie the way its makers intended it to be.

Thank you in advance!
Looks like you completely misunderstand what the IMAX format is (otherwise you wouldn't have talked about "different screen formats" in different IMAX cinemas". How did you suddenly think that in American IMAX cinemas they'll show the movie from a film print? Ordering the negative, processing and printing of 70mm film costs tens of thousands of dollars - it is simply unprofitable. The film will come out in IMAX in the format that the creators intended it in. There is nothing to discuss and make up. Since all the Arena scenes were filmed in IMAX, in these cinemas you will see much more of the film then in regular screens.
What do you think? Unless of course Lionsgate are really planning to not release the film in 70mm, which would make the use of IMAX cameras redundant and a waste of money (could've just filmed in in 16:9 on an Alexa and "format it for IMAX" like Skyfall...)
the russian distributor sounds like a real douche

Bacon wrote:Image

Is this legit?
Definitely fan art.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote: the russian distributor sounds like a real douche
Next post from them - "let's just close this topic for now :)"

:facepalm:

antovolk wrote:Okay this should really go in the separate IMAX thread but since its about CF, I'll post it here.

Thank you in advance!
Russia does not seem like a fun place to be.

New Peeta portrait. Thought it was fan art, but turns out to be official.

inb4 Hutcherson haters

Ehh.
Not really excited for this because The Hunger Games didn't impress me.

the_red_ninja wrote: Image
lol

the_red_ninja wrote:New Peeta portrait. Thought it was fan art, but turns out to be official.

inb4 Hutcherson haters
wow what is tat in his pocket