American Hustle (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
How were you unimpressed with Amy in this? How is that even possible. Not only was her acting great (her argument scene with Bale as a great example) but she was also beyond sexy as hell. How could anyone even be dissapointed ? lol

shauner111 wrote:How were you unimpressed with Amy in this? How is that even possible. Not only was her acting great (her argument scene with Bale as a great example) but she was also beyond sexy as hell. How could anyone even be dissapointed ? lol

Don't find her sexy ( not that has anything to do with anything) and just felt she wasn't exciting in that role for me. I guess I just don't really enjoy her acting. Doesn't excite me.

Vader182 wrote:Bale's the lead and is deservingly the best, but it's film where in any other movie every lead performance would have easily outshone the rest, but since everyone's so great, it's nonstop top tier acting. Even Adams, who's performance has been misunderstood.

-Vader
In what ways do you think her performance has been misunderstood?

George wrote: In what ways do you think her performance has been misunderstood?
From my initial review on Metaplex:

Amy Adams gives the best female performance in the film, partly due to the running ambiguity of her character. It’s tough to decipher who she’s playing and why, and if she fully understands herself by the time the credits roll. This might be why she’s been falsely accused of being miscast, since how ‘believable’ she is, to us and to herself, is an ongoing necessity of her character.

In other words, her character is meant to operate on levels of obscured characterization. She's not supposed to fully convince anyone of the different "roles" she plays, and we're meant to think there's something missing, so as to suggest a deeper humanity beneath them she's scared to let come out. Unlike Irving, she's fragile, insecure, and unsure of herself, and masks these traits with performances within performances that represent everything her real self feels she needs to be. It's no wonder then that she's drawn to a charismatic presence like Irving. Each characters carry a piece of the full thematic puzzle of the movie, and so each one plays a vital role in making sense of what the movie's trying to say., and this is her part of it.

Also, how any dude finds Adams anything but ravishing in Hustle defies everything I've ever learned about the human male.

-Vader

I was gonna say no offense, but i wont. Ill just simply say, that if anyone doesn't find Amy insanely hot after watching her in American Hustle, especially in the scenes where she really goes for it, then there's something wrong with you.

celibate wrote:I was rather unimpressed by Adams in this film. And surprised by how people perceive Renner's role to be small. He's a very integral part and he does a good job. The character that's probably most understood is Lawrence's. She's incorrectly being labeled as over the top when in fact that's a response to the image of such a young female having the kind of hair, costume, and dialog that she is given here. Her acting is very similar to what she did with her SLP character but because of the big hair, she is being labeled as a cartoon. You have to look at the director about that choice, it was his interpretation that this character should be like a child playing grown up.
Interesting.

Allstar wrote:
Durden wrote:
Allstar wrote:I'm seeing it after I see Wolf.
I am sure you will love both. Should be a good way for you to cap of the year with potential to be your top 2. :thumbup:

And Bale and Dicaprio killing it. :ugeek:
Don't get me wrong I'm pumped for Bale just realize this site has more of a bias towards him for obvious reasons. But I am expecting Coop and Bale as standouts. But DiCap and Wolf will be first as it was by far my most anticipated.
As with DiCaprio? Tom Hardy? Joseph Gordon Levitt?

But that doesn't mean they aren't really giving great performances.
I have read praise for all, some say Bale is the best, others talk about Lawrence, Amy, Bradley, Renner.
Well, I hope I'll like it.

Vader, where is the link to your review? I want to read. : D

For me Bale was undoubtedly the lead and gave one hell of a performance, but Cooper was really my favorite.

I thought the acting was top notch but the movie itself didn't add up to the sum of its parts. Still very worth watching, but didn't live up to my hopes. Oh well. 8/10.