American Hustle (2013)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BroskiSabor wrote:Bale and Cooper give what could easily be considered career (and year) bests,

I saw the promotional content in odd patches and thought Cooper was the lead in this with Bale as caring/scumbag mentor figure. I only found out the other day that Bale was lead because someonehere told me.
Heh.

Just got back and absolutely LOVED the film. Perhaps I'm biased as I'm a pretty big fan of David O. Russell, but man did this movie have some great performances, vibrant characters, and the score and direction was devistatingly cool. This had the potential to be right up my alley since Boogie Nights is one of my all time favorites and from the trailers I got a similar feel, but I really love how much heart the film had. While it may not be one of the "best" films of the year by most people's standards, there's something that hits me personally about this one. I'll be seeing it again within the next couple days and will probably give a proper review.

jibran wrote:I saw the promotional content in odd patches and thought Cooper was the lead in this with Bale as caring/scumbag mentor figure. I only found out the other day that Bale was lead because someonehere told me.
Heh.
If Bale is the lead, then Cooper is a close second. Bale is probably only lead because of the first thirty or so minutes of the movie.

No, Bale was the lead. I dont see how people think otherwise.

American Hustle is definitely one of my favorite movies of the year. Top 5 for me.

Bale was the absolute standout for me. Cooper probably landed second. I can understand the praise for Lawrence, but I think she succeeds far more on the basis of the underlying dialog and the charisma she's able to bring to the role. The performance itself felt a bit messy and somewhat lacking in commitment. Where Bale's Irving feels full-bodied (no pun intended), Lawrence's Rosalyn feels almost like a cartoon or a self-aware sketch performance (a very entertaining one, at that).

BroskiSabor wrote:Not much to say about Renner, thought he was just kind of there.
:blank:

I would rank the performances: Bale, Adams, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner. But i thought they were all great. Even Renner.

shauner111 wrote:I would rank the performances: Bale, Adams, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner. But i thought they were all great. Even Renner.
I would have the same with Renner in front of Lawrence, and right with Cooper. Seen it twice now. Seems everyone has thought Bale was the standout, just goes to show screening reactions aren't always right. :ugeek:
BroskiSabor wrote: P.S. anyone who said Lawrence was hammy in this film needs to get their eyes checked.
:blank:

Durden wrote:
shauner111 wrote:I would rank the performances: Bale, Adams, Cooper, Lawrence, Renner. But i thought they were all great. Even Renner.
I would have the same with Renner in front of Lawrence, and right with Cooper. Seen it twice now. Seems everyone has thought Bale was the standout, just goes to show screening reactions aren't always right. :ugeek:
Or this site is biased with Bale. I thought you had Coop easily ahead of Adams?