Batman: The Dark Knight Returns animated movie

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
User avatar
Posts: 5435
Joined: June 2012
Location: Free
This will be E-P-I-C.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
m4st4 wrote:
Cilogy wrote:Hopefully it's not as bad as the Batman: Year One adaptation.
That was awful. Red Hood was okay (3/5) and this... Dunno. TDKReturns is such a magnificent, daring comic book piece, I'm not sure they can handle it right. I mean, they have to aim at kids with these DVDs and Blu-rays right? So, a somewhat toned down violence, mature substance and larger than life themes... I don't see those in direct to DVD animated forms, I go and see a Christopher Nolan film.
To answer your question, they don't have to aim these DVDs at kids. Batman was never aimed just at kids. That's why most Batman movies or animated series are so mature compared to other kid-friendly series.

Red Hood is far from being "Okay". Red Hood is probably the best Batman Animated Film... Probably. Mask of Phantasm is held in too high regard by fans to completely ignore that but other than that movie... nothing else stands next to Red Hood.

As a Batman fan... I love the direction they go with this.

User avatar
Posts: 3855
Joined: June 2010

User avatar
Posts: 25791
Joined: June 2011

User avatar
Posts: 15412
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
fucking amazing

User avatar
Posts: 54573
Joined: May 2010
Location: Arrakis
Perfection! :tooexcited:
"A big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff."

User avatar
Posts: 9826
Joined: October 2011
Location: Foot of Mt. Belzoni
These things strike me as pointless. Why would I sit down and watch a watered down version of a classic when I could just read said classic in its full glory and let my imagination fill in the gaps of what they sound like?
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

User avatar
Posts: 15412
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
ArmandFancypants wrote:These things strike me as pointless. Why would I sit down and watch a watered down version of a classic when I could just read said classic in its full glory and let my imagination fill in the gaps of what they sound like?
wait a second, shouldn't this make movies obsolete for you too

User avatar
Posts: 9826
Joined: October 2011
Location: Foot of Mt. Belzoni
prince0gotham wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:These things strike me as pointless. Why would I sit down and watch a watered down version of a classic when I could just read said classic in its full glory and let my imagination fill in the gaps of what they sound like?
wait a second, shouldn't this make movies obsolete for you too
Nope, because most films aren't just a verbatim translation of the source material. All film adaptaions of other material bring a new artistic perspective to the material. This stuff doesn't really seem to, but then I've only seen fits and starts of them.
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...
Ah, böwakawa! Poussé, poussé...

User avatar
Posts: 15412
Joined: June 2010
Location: You're pretty good.
ArmandFancypants wrote:
prince0gotham wrote: wait a second, shouldn't this make movies obsolete for you too
Nope, because most films aren't just a verbatim translation of the source material. All film adaptaions of other material bring a new artistic perspective to the material. This stuff doesn't really seem to, but then I've only seen fits and starts of them.
Well the reason they rarely strafe away from the source material with these things is because these animated movies are designed to profit mostly from the fans.

So there's the paradox of opinions, fans not knowing whether they want a translation of the material that would be true to it or something that would offer a twist and eventually some improvement (often almost impossible).

Since the second isn't likely they usually try going for translations

I mean I get your point now and still there's plenty to be enjoyed about a movie like this. In the end it doesn't need to be the same experience or a better experience. Sometimes it's good to see a translation that after all offers something specific so you could enjoy both reading the comic book and watching the animated version separately.

Post Reply