Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Directed by Stanley Kubrick. Screenplay by Stanley Kubrick. Based off the novel "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess. Starring Malcolm McDowell, Michael Tam, James Marcus, & Dim Corby
"All this 'good vs evil' shit's been played out. It's now time for 'BAD VS. EVIL'

-David Ayer on Suicide Squad.

Beauty and the Beast (French: La Belle et la Bête) is a 1946 French romantic fantasy film adaptation of the traditional fairy tale of the same name, written by Jeanne-Marie Le Prince de Beaumont. Directed by French poet and filmmaker Jean Cocteau, the film stars Josette Day as Belle and Jean Marais.

In 1994, composer Philip Glass created an opera version — also called La Belle et la Bête — one of a "Cocteau Trilogy" of operas. In its initial incarnation the musicians and singers would perform the work on stage with a restored, newly subtitled print of the film playing on a screen behind them. In the original presentation, Belle was sung by the mezzo-soprano Janice Felty. (The current Criterion Collection DVD and Blu-Ray release offers the ability to view the movie while listening to either Glass's score or the original soundtrack.)

It is widely considered one of the finest fantasy films of all time.

My favorite classic on Blu-ray.

La Dolce Vita (1960) - Federico Fellini

Altered States (1980)

Since I started using this avy/sig combo, I couldn't stop thinking about this movie and how well it fits in Nolan's world. If he was a director back then, (IMO) maybe this would be the kind of picture he'd make, and more so, nowadays, it would be an excellent choice for a remake "Nolan style". This film was one of my most remarkable teenage movie experiences and I wanted to write something nice and accurate about it, so I looked it up in Wikipedia to better express myself.

Directed by the late, very controversial, awesome English filmmaker Ken Russell (Women in Love, The Devils, Tommy, Lisztomania, among others), Altered States followed his bold "in-your-face" conceptual tone approach to genre as the previous films I've mentioned (all of them, very unique and daring). It was his only science fiction (horror) film, and what a crazy, intriguing and intelligent sci-fi it was (like the next step for those conceptual sci-fis of the 70's).

The screenplay was adapted by the author of the novel (Paddy Chayefsky - weird shit - if you dig Carlos Castañeda, you'll certainly dig this) and both are based on John C. Lilly's sensory deprivation research conducted in isolation tanks under the influence of psychoactive drugs like ketamine and LSD. Russell's choices in elaborating the visual effects to translate Chayefsky's hallucinatory story to film are (in lack of a better definition) far out, man! His characteristic religious and sexual content makes it even stronger.

The Academy Award nominated score by classical composer John Corigliano was considered very innovative at the time (very weird too). The film was also nominated for Best Sound, but lost to The Empire Strikes Back.

Altered States marks William Hurt's screen debut as a university professor of abnormal psychology that, while studying schizophrenia, begins to think that our other states of consciousness are as real as our waking states. He begins experimenting with sensory-deprivation using a flotation tank, then travels to Mexico to participate in a (apparently) Ayahuasca ceremony. Under the influence, he experiences bizarre, intense imagery. He then returns to the U.S. with a sample and begins taking it in flotation tank sessions, but now, starts to experience a series of increasingly drastic psychological and physical transformations (that's when the real fun begins). I'm not gonna go further with the synopsis, just one more thing about my avatar:

Due to his extreme experiments, he regresses physically into a mostly amorphous mass of conscious primordial matter, a shocking transformation in which he seems poised on the brink of becoming a non-physical form of proto-consciousness and possibly disappearing from our version of reality altogether. That scene in the avatar is him struggling to regain his human state.
Fucking awesome scene!

For all this, I strongly recommend checking this out (also, other Ken Russell films). I wonder what Nolan thinks about this (surely he has seen it). Wouldn't you say it looks like somewhat of a Nolan theme? If updated, it could be a hell of a movie. :twothumbsup:

^ dadosaboya, you're the King! Thank you for this, Altered States was in my mind since I saw your avy and I will definitely check it out (and repost here, of course)! :clap:

m4st4 wrote:^ dadosaboya, you're the King! Thank you for this, Altered States was in my mind since I saw your avy and I will definitely check it out (and repost here, of course)! :clap:
Have a good trip! :o

dadosaboya wrote:
m4st4 wrote:^ dadosaboya, you're the King! Thank you for this, Altered States was in my mind since I saw your avy and I will definitely check it out (and repost here, of course)! :clap:
Have a good trip! :o
Strangely enough, I'm totally into Ken Russell's ''The Devils'' (1971) these past few weeks, had an assignment for my film class, managed to get it on DVD, it was hypnotic and Vanessa Redgrave's/Oliver Reed's performances are still haunting me. And now this, wow... Just wow. Can't wait to click on Play! :wtf:

IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066993/

This man is a genius, go and seek his movies, like right now.

m4st4 wrote:Strangely enough, I'm totally into Ken Russell's ''The Devils'' (1971) these past few weeks, had an assignment for my film class, managed to get it on DVD, it was hypnotic and Vanessa Redgrave's/Oliver Reed's performances are still haunting me. And now this, wow... Just wow. Can't wait to click on Play! :wtf:

This man is a genius, go and seek his movies, like right now.
Man, I saw this back in the 70's too, but I only remember the shocking scenes. I was too young to get this. Gotta check it out as soon as I can. I will always remember Ken Russell for States, both The Who films, Women in Love (which I saw as an adult and is really powerfull) and his partnership with Oliver Reed (bad ass!). The last Ken Russell film I saw was Crimes of Passion which is really, REALLY sick! (but fascinating as well) Kathleen Turner and Anthony Perkins must've gone to a really dark place (mainly, Russell's mind) to play their roles!

dadosaboya I love you man. you, virgo, alberto, solo, m4st4... epic guys that know more than just Kubrick and Fincher.