Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Even if you hate westerns these ones is a must:

^ Word + RIO BRAVO (1959), my favorite classic western

Howard Hawks and Angie Dickinson

m4st4 wrote:^ Word + RIO BRAVO (1959), my favorite classic western
Rio Bravo is so good, Howard Hawks had to make two more: El Dorado and Rio Lobo. :clap:

dadosaboya wrote:
m4st4 wrote:^ Word + RIO BRAVO (1959), my favorite classic western
Rio Bravo is so good, Howard Hawks had to make two more: El Dorado and Rio Lobo. :clap:
Those two, of course. I don't generally like John Wayne, but in Rio Bravo he was The Icon, great script and performances. Plus hey, Angie Dickinson.

m4st4 wrote:I don't generally like John Wayne, but in Rio Bravo he was The Icon, great script and performances.
Same here. But I would add The Searchers as another Wayne iconic moment.

dadosaboya wrote:
m4st4 wrote:I don't generally like John Wayne, but in Rio Bravo he was The Icon, great script and performances.
Same here. But I would add The Searchers as another Wayne iconic moment.
John Ford. One of Spielberg's favorites. :)

Excalibur (1981)

Fantastic take on King Arthur's legend by John Boorman (Deliverance, Zardoz). Great performances by Helen Mirren and Nicol Williamson. The cast also features newcomers Liam Neeson, Gabriel Byrne and Patrick Stewart. The soundtrack includes pieces from Wagner and Carl Orrf's Carmina Burana. Beautiful costume design (Bob Ringwood), specially the armors, designed by Terry English, who also created the armor for Aliens.

Zardoz (1974)

A bizarre science fiction/fantasy written, produced and directed by John Boorman, staring Sean Connery. In the year 2293, a post-apocalyptic Earth is inhabited mostly by the Brutals, who are ruled by the Eternals. Eternals use other Brutals, called Exterminators, as the Chosen warrior class. The Exterminators worship the god Zardoz, a huge, flying, hollow stone head. Zardoz teaches:

"The gun is good. The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life to poison the Earth with a plague of men, as once it was, but the gun shoots death, and purifies the Earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth ... and kill!"

Weird stuff!

Deliverance (1972)

Produced and directed by John Boorman, staring Jon Voight, Burt Reynolds, Ronny Cox and Ned Beatty. Deliverance is an acclaimed landmark of the 70's, memorable for the dueling banjos music scene that sets the tone for the trip into unknown and dangerous territory, and also, for its strong male rape scene.