Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
m4st4 wrote:Image
Hail to the Lynch!

My favorite:

+Wild at Heart, Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, Inland Empire (Laura Dern ftw)
What about Lost Highway or The Elephant Man?

My favorite Lynch:

Alberto wrote:My favorite Lynch:

Mr. Caine wrote:
Alberto wrote:My favorite Lynch:
How could I forget about Lost Highway :wtf: I need to give it a try, seen it once, like 10 years ago...

+Eraserhead, Elephant Man... Pretty much every Lynch is up my alley of interest.

Harakiri (1962)

If you're a Kurosawa fan, you'll certainly like this one. Directed by Masaki Kobayashi, Harakiri (original Japanese title: Seppuku) takes place in early 1600's during the Edo period and tells the tale of Hanshiro Tsugumo, a ronin who instead of committing harakiri after his lord was deposed, was ordered to stay alive and take care for his daughter, his grandson and the son of another samurai who had committed the ritual suicide. The final sequence sure must be in Tarantino's favorite samurai film list.

Harakiri was entered in the competition at the 1963 Cannes Film Festival. It lost the Palme d'Or to Visconti's The Leopard, but received the Special Jury Award.

Heavy Metal (1981)

Derived from the comics magazine Heavy Metal, this Canadian fantasy-animated film was produced by Ivan Reitman and Leonard Mogel (also publisher of the magazine). The film is an anthology of various science fiction and fantasy stories adapted from the Heavy Metal magazine (and original stories in the same spirit) by writers and artists such as Dan O'Bannon (author of the original Alien story), Richard Corben, Juan Gimenez, Angus McKie and Bernie Wrightson (all of them, Heavy Metal magazine household names). Like the magazine, the animated stories have a great deal of graphic violence, nudity, and sexuality.

Its production was a monumental effort of animation for its time, having several animation houses working simultaneously on different segments. The result is considered one of the greatest achievements of the pre-CGI animation era.

The music is also worth notice. Elmer Bernstein composed the original score, but the greater part of the soundtrack features a compilation of songs by such artists like Black Sabbath, Devo, Blue Öyster Cult, Nazareth, Don Felder, Donald Fagen and Stevie Nicks among others. The album peaked at number 12 on the Billboard 200 chart remaining a classic for Heavy Metal fans.

For the past 5 years, there has been talk of a new Heavy Metal film. Last rumors I heard, mentioned Guillermo Del Toro as director and James Cameron and David Fincher as co-executive producers (Cameron would also direct one of the film’s segments). Been keeping my fingers crossed since then.
Last edited by Dado on April 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

^ dado, you're on a roll! :clap: Usual quality, as expected, plus new sig is sick! 8-)

David Fincher directed Heavy Metal sequence is my wet dream.

Here's my contribution:

m4st4 wrote:^ dado, you're on a roll! :clap: Usual quality, as expected, plus new sig is sick! 8-)
Thanks! My Heavy Metal collection is one of my treasures and I think this film still stands today with its elegant animation and rockin' soundtrack. The 2000 version sucks though (IMO).
Yeah, these rumors are kinda old and a lot has happened to these guys since then. But who knows? I'll keep dreaming! :roll:

Taarna! :P

dadosaboya wrote:
m4st4 wrote:^ dado, you're on a roll! :clap: Usual quality, as expected, plus new sig is sick! 8-)
Thanks! My Heavy Metal collection is one of my treasures and I think this film still stands today with its elegant animation and rockin' soundtrack. The 2000 version sucks though (IMO).
Yeah, these rumors are kinda old and a lot has happened to these guys since then. But who knows? I'll keep dreaming! :roll:

Taarna! :P
I was just googling Heavy Metal 2000 and it looks mediocre, at best. Heavy Metal film would be something like Sin City - event film, risky project.

m4st4 wrote:I was just googling Heavy Metal 2000 and it looks mediocre, at best.
Yeah, it's awful.
Heavy Metal film would be something like Sin City - event film, risky project.
It would be fantastic to see that kind of concept produced with the animation resources available today, but in the other hand, Heavy Metal magazine is long gone so, it would have to be a whole new concept.