Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
RIFA wrote:dadosaboya I love you man. you, virgo, alberto, solo, m4st4... epic guys that know more than just Kubrick and Fincher.
Thanks RIFA, we love you too. :-D It's nice to know there are people here who know what Cinema truly represents for over a hundred years now: the whole world.

RIFA wrote:dadosaboya I love you man. you, virgo, alberto, solo, m4st4... epic guys that know more than just Kubrick and Fincher.
Thanks RIFA :thumbup: Kubrick and Fincher are great, but there's much more from where they came from. Personally, I love the cinema of the 70's cause that's the cinema I grew up with (not saying that it was a better cinema, it's just in my heart). This is how I spent most of the 70's and early 80's:

Can't imagine presenting you better video about Ken Russell than this one, enjoy!

Watch Orson Welles’ Final TV Interview, Recorded a Few Hours Before He Died

From collider.com:
On October 10, 1985, at the age of 70, he gave his final television interview on The Merv Griffin Show mere hours before succumbing to a heart attack at his Los Angeles home. In the clip, which lasts 9:44, Welles is engaging and quick-witted as ever, but there’s a hint of the tragic at times as he’s compelled to discuss his lost youth, lost love and the “painful times” of his past. Of course, whenever a man like this speaks, we all do well to listen.

m4st4 wrote:Image
La Dolce Vita (1960) - Federico Fellini
What a movie this is! Truly the work of a master. Image

Martin Scorsese's Storyboards from the 'Taxi Driver' Finale

Akira Kurosawa visits the set of Kindergarten Cop! :lol:

That's pretty cool!

Even though I have no idea why he'd show up to that set.

SilverHeart wrote:That's pretty cool!

Even though I have no idea why he'd show up to that set.
Because yesterday it was April 1.

The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
"The Phantom of the Opera is a 1925 American silent horror film adaptation of the Gaston Leroux novel of the same title directed by Rupert Julian. The film featured Lon Chaney in the title role as the deformed Phantom who haunts the Paris Opera House, causing murder and mayhem in an attempt to force the management to make the woman he loves a star. It is most famous for Lon Chaney's intentionally horrific, self-applied make-up, which was kept a studio secret until the film's premiere."
"The film also features Mary Philbin, Norman Kerry, Arthur Edmund Carewe, Gibson Gowland, John St. Polis, and Snitz Edwards."
"The film has been deemed "culturally significant" by the Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry. In the United States, the film is in the public domain due to Universal's failure to renew the copyright in 1953, and may be freely downloaded from the Internet Archive. It was parodied in the 70's spoof film Phantom of the Paradise and by the Terry Pratchett novel Maskerade. This film was #52 on Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments The film was one of 400 films nominated to be on the AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movies (10th Anniversary Edition)."

This is one of my favorite films of all time, and if anyone wants to seriously consider acting they should look into the work of Lon Chaney (Talli this means you). He was an absolute genius silent film actor and one of the first pioneers of film make up (doing all of his own make up). I hold this film near and dear to my heart so please consider seeing it. You can view it free online.