Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948)

Written and directed by John Huston (one of his best, no doubt), this western has memmorable performances by Bogart and Walter Houston (John's father). The film transits from classic western, suspense, psychological thriller, and even philosophical themes (comparing the value of gold and the faithfulness to each other). Houston, the adventurer-filmmaker, decided to shoot the film almost entirely on location, something rare back then.

The film won the Academy Award for best director and adapted screenplay (both to Huston) and his father, Walter, also won best supporting actor. But one of the coolest things about Sierra Madre, is the famous stinking badges scene with the quote:

"Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges!"

I thought Treasure was actually a hell of a lot more simplistic than its reputation implies. I was expecting to love the film, but didn't.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:I thought Treasure was actually a hell of a lot more simplistic than its reputation implies. I was expecting to love the film, but didn't.

-Vader
You're right, it is a hell of a simplistic movie, and that's another great thing about it.

dadosaboya wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I thought Treasure was actually a hell of a lot more simplistic than its reputation implies. I was expecting to love the film, but didn't.

-Vader
You're right, it is a hell of a simplistic movie, and that's another great thing about it.
Never had the chance to actually see it. Might look it up soon!

dadosaboya wrote:

-Vader
+1

That's the shit...

Red Hood wrote:Image

That's the shit...
Tron really was the shit, a great concept for its time, like a DOS version of The Matrix. It's amazing how a film with such a weak script, awful cast performances (Jeff Bridges and David Warner are great actors, but sucked big time here) and so poorly directed, found its place in the sci-fi hall of fame.

Tron has some very cool facts: The combination of computer animation and live-action worked great, the experimental electronic soundtrack by Wendy Carlos (who was also responsible for the electronic versions of Beethoven's pieces in Clockwork Orange - he also wrote the score for The Shining) has that cool analog Moog synthesizer vibe of the early years of electronic music with a little help from the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

But what I like the most is the design created by geniuses like Jean Giraud (the great Moebius) who was the main set and costume designer (the costumes are fantastic, so elegant!). The very cool vehicle designs (like Sark's ship, the light bikes, the tank, and the solar sailer) were created by legendary Syd Mead (Blade Runner).

Many consider Tron to be the groundbreaking film that led to today's digital animated features. It is indeed a legacy from the 80's video game age. It certainly deserves the cult.

dadosaboya wrote:
Red Hood wrote:Image

That's the shit...
Tron really was the shit, a great concept for its time, like a DOS version of The Matrix. It's amazing how a film with such a weak script, awful cast performances (Jeff Bridges and David Warner are great actors, but sucked big time here) and so poorly directed, found its place in the sci-fi hall of fame.

Tron has some very cool facts: The combination of computer animation and live-action worked great, the experimental electronic soundtrack by Wendy Carlos (who was also responsible for the electronic versions of Beethoven's pieces in Clockwork Orange - he also wrote the score for The Shining) has that cool analog Moog synthesizer vibe of the early years of electronic music with a little help from the London Philharmonic Orchestra.

But what I like the most is the design created by geniuses like Jean Giraud (the great Moebius) who was the main set and costume designer (the costumes are fantastic, so elegant!). The very cool vehicle designs (like Sark's ship, the light bikes, the tank, and the solar sailer) were created by legendary Syd Mead (Blade Runner).

Many consider Tron to be the groundbreaking film that led to today's digital animated features. It is indeed a legacy from the 80's video game age. It certainly deserves the cult.
And... even though it's not part of this particular thread - I liked that familiar TRON feeling that swept through LEGACY.

The Stunt Man (1980)
directed by Richard Rush

The greatest film ever made. Period. Okay that's hyperbole. What I should say is that it's my favorite film of all time and I've seen a lot of films (Not a lame brag just a fact. The amount I've seen is not necessarily even something to be proud of. I'm proud of it but it's probably verging on unhealthy how many hours of my life I could have spent doing other perhaps more productive things that I spent watching movies. You get the idea.) The point is you should trust me when I tell you that this movie, I assure, is not like anything you have ever seen...unless of course you've seen this movie. Or perhaps if you've seen, say, Francois Truffaut's "Day for Night". If you've seen that (sort of similar) classic then you already grasp the awesome concept of movies about the making of a movie. This one takes it a step further. The amount of twists, turns, and ways that this movie just plain messes with you boggles the mind. The movie is gleefully sadistic in the way it keeps making you think you grasp the reality of what's going on. It's a simple yet genius premise: A guy on the run from the law hides out on a movie set and ends up getting cast in the movie just to avoid the police. Unfortunately the director happens to be the human embodiment of the Devil (a power mad and manipulative "puppeteer" played brilliantly by Peter O' Toole) and the leading lady (Barbara Hershey) just happens to fall in love with our hero, but is she even remotely trustworthy? I could go on and on about how much this movie has aspects of Inception in it and HUGE simialrities to The Prestige what with all the "tricking of your audience into believing magic" concepts. The magic here is the magic of film. The movie's a celebration of film and a celebration of trickery. Any fan of Nolan should give it a watch. The hair, fashion, music and (some) cinematography, etc. is a bit dated but if you're a true movie fan you know that has nothing to do with the quality of a film. The rest withstands the test of time perfectly in my opinion. Couldn't recommend it enough.

P.S. I posted the Spanish poster because it's just so fucking cool. The movie is an American production and in English.
Last edited by NoMoreDeadCops on July 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

NoMoreDeadCops wrote:Image

The Stunt Man (1980)
dir: Richard Rush

The greatest film ever made. Period. Okay that's hyperbole. What I should say is that it's my favorite film of all time and I've seen a lot of films (Not a lame brag just a fact. The amount I've seen is not a good thing. It's probably verging on unhealthy. You get the idea.) This movie, I assure, is not liek anything you have ever seen...unless of course you've seen, say, Francois Truffaut's "Day for Night". If you have then you already grasp the awesome concept of movies about the making of a movie. This one takes it a step further. The amount of twists, turns, and ways that this movie just plain messes with you boggles the mind. The movie is gleefully sadistic in the way it keeps making you think you grasp the reality of what's going on. It's a simple yet genius premise: A guy on the run from the law hides out on a movie set and ends up getting cast in the movie just to avoid the police. Unfortunately the director happens to be the human embodiment of the Devil (a power mad and manipulative "puppeteer" played brilliantly by Peter O' Toole) and the leading lady (Barbara Hershey) just happens to fall in love with our hero, but is she even remotely trustworthy? I could go on and on about how much this movie has aspects of Inception in it and HUGE simialrities to The Prestige what with all the "tricking of your audience into believing magic" concepts. The magic here is the magic fo film. The movie's a celebration of film and a celebration of trickery. Any fan of Nolan should give it a watch. The hair, fashion, music and (some) cinematography, etc. is a bit dated but if you're a true movie fan you know that has nothing to do with the quality of a film. The rest withstands the test of time perfectly in my opinion. Couldn't recommend it enough.

P.S. I posted the Spanish poster because it's just so fucking cool. The movie is an American production and in English.
:clap:

We need more posts like this on Nolanfans. Though I still don't understand why you hate AB and von Trier so much, I admire your knowledge of movies. You should post more about what you like, instead of what you dislike. Thanks for the recommendation, added it to my watchlist, and since you love it and praise it so much, I'll give it a shot one of these days. :thumbup: