Name a director, and their greatest strengths.

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bay - Explosions.

Blomkamp and Nolan- Making films fun but with an emotional weight to it

m4st4 wrote:Image
Vincent Gallo=Chloë Sevigny
Not anymore though.

Vader182 wrote:
manofsteel1 wrote:Kevin smith - being from New Jersey 8-)
That is what you bumped this thread for? Really?

-Vader
well most of his films are based in
new Jersey

Quentin Tarantino - making people laugh at things that aren't supposed to be funny.
"One of the things is there is a sense of humour in all of my movies that I′m trying to bring out. One of the things that I am trying to do is I′m trying to get you to laugh at things that aren′t funny. When I write my movies I hear laughs. And I′m not saying that I write it as comedy, but there are laughs there. You know, when I′m making the movie I′m imagining laughs, when I′m editing it, I′m editing it knowing that there are going to be laughs there that are going to fill in things. So there is an aspect of when I see the movie with an audience for the first time that′s the completion of it. It′s like a recipe that needs the last ingredient to make the cake rise. And to me that doesn′t happen until I watch it with an audience, that′s the pay off, and to hear their laughs and know that I got that. And only then do I feel the movie is finished. But part of the method of that madness is the idea of getting you to laugh at things that you wouldn′t normally laugh at. You might even be asking the question ‘why am I laughing?’ But you are laughing anyway, so too bad! (laughs)."
http://www.gomolo.com/202/feature-there ... -my-movies

Steven Spielberg; The Spielberg Face

Red Hood wrote:Blomkamp and Nolan- Making films fun but with an emotional weight to it

Smh... Blomkamp had one film that sort of hit an emotional point. Elysium tried way too hard and completely failed. To put him on the same level as Nolan is insane.

BroskiSabor wrote:
Red Hood wrote:Blomkamp and Nolan- Making films fun but with an emotional weight to it

Smh... Blomkamp had one film that sort of hit an emotional point. Elysium tried way too hard and completely failed. To put him on the same level as Nolan is insane.
I didn't say Blomkamp was as good as Nolan first of all. And Elysium has a little bit of emotion but not 100%. I think Elysium wasn't really trying to get emotional, It was made to be a blockbuster sci-fi action, not a drama like District 9.

Steve McQueen: Depicting basic/primal human motivations.

David Fincher: Engrossing atmosphere.

Red Hood wrote:
BroskiSabor wrote:

I didn't say Blomkamp was as good as Nolan first of all. And Elysium has a little bit of emotion but not 100%. I think Elysium wasn't really trying to get emotional, It was made to be a blockbuster sci-fi action, not a drama like District 9.
You put them on the same level, pretty much. And Elysium was absolutely an attempt at heavy-hitting emotions. The love story was pushed over our heads again and again.