85th Academy Awards: 2013

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Allstar wrote:No way Leo is going to be better than Hoffman. :(
I know you're kidding (as you said), but it's totally possible. Weinstein said that he and QT were "blown away" at how good Leo was. Waltz was really impressed by Leo in his Hollywood Reporter interview. Foxx said that people spontaneously applauded after some of Leo's takes. I love PSH, but this certainty about him winning BSA just seems wrong when most of the people who've seen The Master say outright that Phoenix outacts him.

Tourmie wrote:
I know you're kidding (as you said), but it's totally possible. Weinstein said that he and QT were "blown away" at how good Leo was. Waltz was really impressed by Leo in his Hollywood Reporter interview. Foxx said that people spontaneously applauded after some of Leo's takes. I love PSH, but this certainty about him winning BSA just seems wrong when most of the people who've seen The Master say outright that Phoenix outacts him.
So will Leo beat Phoenix?

07202012 wrote:
Tourmie wrote:
So will Leo beat Phoenix?
If you're pointing out a flaw in my transitive logic, I mean it in the sense that when I watched The Help, I felt that Spencer was clearly better than Viola Davis, despite both being good. Therefore Viola beating Streep became unlikely. Even in the case of the relatively equal Crowe and Phoenix for Gladiator, a superb performance by Benicio prevented Phoenix's just-as-deserving performance from winning.

Otherwise, no, I'd say Phoenix is stuck in the Best Actor category, and Leo in Supporting.

Tourmie wrote:
No surprise that's coming from his co-stars, the director, and the producer of the film. Of course, they could actually be right, but it's obvious too that they want to hype him up to make people excited.

thezodiacspeaking wrote:
Tourmie wrote:
No surprise that's coming from his co-stars, the director, and the producer of the film. Of course, they could actually be right, but it's obvious too that they want to hype him up to make people excited.
The fact that they volunteered this information spontaneously in the middle of interviews with such enthusiasm is interesting, though. I've never seen Weinstein just start gushing about a performance in a Tarantino film before it's even finished principal photography.

Tourmie wrote:
thezodiacspeaking wrote:
The fact that they volunteered this information spontaneously in the middle of interviews with such enthusiasm is interesting, though. I've never seen Weinstein just start gushing about a performance in a Tarantino film before it's even finished principal photography.
Leo is genius.

Tourmie wrote: The fact that they volunteered this information spontaneously in the middle of interviews with such enthusiasm is interesting, though. I've never seen Weinstein just start gushing about a performance in a Tarantino film before it's even finished principal photography.
That still sounds like hyping it up to me. However, I really doubt that Leo could win against Hoffman. Unless the Academy pulls a pity win, which I would not be surprised at all since they are the Academy.

Regardless of the performances. Hoffman is in a more Academy-friendly movie.

Sucks it'll be two months between the performances though.

Anne seems to be the front runner. :twothumbsup:

Best actress race seems pretty bland this time which is unusual. On another hand left 3 acting categories will be thrilling. For supp. men Hoffman, Crowe, Dicaprio, Waltz and for women Hathaway, Adams, maybe Lawrence. And of course for Leading men Phoenix, DDL, Jackman. Pretty crowded!