Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
BlairCo wrote:In Bruges > Tropic Thunder
+1

but...

Groundhog Day > In Bruges.

Even though I love In Bruges
Why you lurking my page brah?

:problem:
Brave New World

RyanRises wrote:
:problem:

jibran wrote:
Cilogy wrote:Les Mis trailer > Les Mis
This is probably true. I didn't even like the trailer that much.
:lol:

The Tree of Life is pretty to look at but is also a pretentious borefest.

gaspernoe wrote:The Tree of Life is pretty to look at but is also a pretentious borefest.
You're going to become very popular very soon.

I found it quite enthralling. It was an incredibly memorable cinema experience for me. It's not a movie that I would watch again frequently but it definitely was fascinating and affecting. What Malick really needs for his later films to succeed is to be locked out of the editing room. The way he writes and films already allows for a free flowing narrative structure but someone with tighter editing skills could really help tie it all together.

For Malick, I highly recommend hiring Leslie Jones again.
Do you... like pineapple?

gaspernoe wrote:The Tree of Life is pretty to look at but is also a pretentious borefest.
qft

jibran wrote:
You're going to become very popular very soon.

I found it quite enthralling. It was an incredibly memorable cinema experience for me. It's not a movie that I would watch again frequently but it definitely was fascinating and affecting. What Malick really needs for his later films to succeed is to be locked out of the editing room. The way he writes and films already allows for a free flowing narrative structure but someone with tighter editing skills could really help tie it all together.

For Malick, I highly recommend hiring Leslie Jones again.
I respect Terrence Malick as a director, his earlier work such as The Thin Red Line and Badlands are out of this world. His later work on The New World and The Tree of Life are tough to watch, especially the latter movie. This is the movie where I really lost it as it was a movie I wanted to love. The Tree of Life contains what I like about Malick but also what I dislike but cranked up to 10. It's infuriating to watch yet I can't deny that it's well shot and put together.

This is how I feel about Malick; he's a tremendous artist, but he's very pretentious when it comes to the narrative.

BlairCo wrote:
This is how I feel about Malick; he's a tremendous artist, but he's very pretentious when it comes to the narrative.

I don't think he's pretentious, at least not intentionally. I think he's just in love with the visual aspect of film and believes that the narrative will be driven by that. That works sometimes, but not all the time.
If she plays cranium she gives good brainium.