Controversial opinions about movies

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
^ Agreed to disagree? :modesty: I always prefered Aliens, there's not much point in explaining how or why but that's the way it is. And my first Alien movie was David Fincher's version on VHS - I liked it very much, and still do (Director's Cut that is).

@dado - Man of Steel hype! :twothumbsup:

gaspernoe wrote:Tom Hardy > DDL
Agreed.

christophmac wrote:
gaspernoe wrote:Tom Hardy > DDL
Agreed.
Pouty lips rises.

Not in my book, not yet. DDL is still the king.

But Hardy rules the voice augmentation kingdom (and I'm not talking Bane).

m4st4 wrote:^ Agreed to disagree? :modesty: I always prefered Aliens, there's not much point in explaining how or why but that's the way it is.
Agree to disagree! :twothumbsup: This is the place to do it. I do consider Aliens a fine movie but the thing is, I'm a total Alien fanboy. It was one of my finest experiences in a movie theatre. I do believe all 3 movies are excellent, each with their distinctive filmmaker's signature - isn't it amazing (not to say historical) that this trilogy was conducted by 3 iconic directors?
And my first Alien movie was David Fincher's version on VHS - I liked it very much, and still do (Director's Cut that is).
I'm yet to see the Director's Cut of Alien 3 :shifty:
@dado - Man of Steel hype! :twothumbsup:
Tottally! Been meaning to change my avy-sig combo to MoS since I saw the last trailer. This is gonna be soooo good!
m4st4 wrote:Not in my book, not yet. DDL is still the king.
Not in my book either. DDL is miles ahead of Hardy.

m4st4 wrote:^ Agreed to disagree? :modesty: I always prefered Aliens, there's not much point in explaining how or why but that's the way it is. And my first Alien movie was David Fincher's version on VHS - I liked it very much, and still do (Director's Cut that is).
I've always enjoyed Aliens more. As an action flick, it's just phenomenal. Depending on the purpose, I'm stuck in saying which is better but I love both dearly.
Do you... like pineapple?

I have the smallest mobile screen ever lol... so hard to navigate and type on this crap... Anyway, totally, three iconic directors doing one of the best franchises in history of SciFi and cinema in general. I got to ask prince, once he linked me a great article about Alien 3, how good it actually was with detailed analysis, will send him PM later. Director's Cut is vastly superior, if only for the infamous Bambi explosion sequence (you'll see) intercut with Ripley overseeing Newt's burial. It's a magnificent representation of both life (alien chest-bursting) and death (burial/incineration) - tragic circle that connects all of these movies. As for your Supes hype, hell to the yeah, it's going to be a glorious summer!

About Alien vs Aliens-

Alien is a deservingly iconic work with complex oppositional intentions that attack hegemonic values in extraordinarily clever ways. An ensamble of primarily male cast members reveal an empowered and driven female protagonist that defeats a creature aiming to rape and impregnate, including and especially men. As if that alone wasn't enough of a thematic gut-punch, it continues the attack, here towards corporatism all the way to the level of marginalization and manipulation of employee safety for company success. On a craft level, Alien features amongst the greatest set work of all time, while also exhibiting a reference level and innovative use of hand-held, sound, and flashing lights interacting with the camera in the final act rarely toyed with prior, and especially not at once. What conventions of horror it possesses for reasons almost always reaffirming these important themes in the audience's mind. Regardless of the success of the "horror" components in the film, it certainly gives both your brain and film craft appreciating instincts a hell of a lot to find captivating.

Aliens is a really spectacular action movie.

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on January 5th, 2013, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

m4st4 wrote:I have the smallest mobile screen ever lol... so hard to navigate and type on this crap... Anyway, totally, three iconic directors doing one of the best franchises in history of SciFi and cinema in general. I got to ask prince, once he linked me a great article about Alien 3, how good it actually was with detailed analysis, will send him PM later. Director's Cut is vastly superior, if only for the infamous Bambi explosion sequence (you'll see) intercut with Ripley overseeing Newt's burial. It's a magnificent representation of both life (alien chest-bursting) and death (burial/incineration) - tragic circle that connects all of these movies. As for your Supes hype, hell to the yeah, it's going to be a glorious summer!
http://twitchfilm.com/2012/06/ripleys-i ... lien3.html

Way to downplay Aliens with one simple line as opposed to Alien thematics synopsis. I could write as many lines about Aliens being the battle of opposing matriarchs, female in a strictly male society, buirocracy against the people or simply study of how to build strong enough tension in a horror/action environment. Both movies are arguably different and interestic enough on the thematic levels that there is no valid point pro or contra. As jibran said, depends on the mood, and both are equally great. That's it prince, thanks!

I've always viewed Alien and Aliens as equally good in terms of production value and overall quality. In terms of personal preference Aliens wins hands down for me. It just holds up better with repeat viewings IMO.